Search for content in message boards

Michael CARROLL, b/1820 in Ireland >> Braxton Co.,WV.

Michael CARROLL, b/1820 in Ireland >> Braxton Co.,WV.

Sandy McSpadden (View posts)
Posted: 28 Jun 1999 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 2 Apr 2010 8:25PM GMT
Surnames: CARROLL
I am searching for the parents of Michael CARROLL, b/1820 in Ireland. He lived in Braxton Co.,WV. In the same county was a James CARROLL, b/ca/1824. In his marriage bond he stated that he was born in King's Court (Offaly Co.) Ireland, and his parents were John and Fanora CARROLL. James probably was the brother of my GGGrandfather, Michael. I haven't been able to find any other clues as to Michael's parents.

re: Michael CARROLL, b/1820 in Ireland >> Braxton Co.,WV.

Procter George & Linda (View posts)
Posted: 8 Jun 2000 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 2 Apr 2010 8:32PM GMT
Surnames: Carroll, Power
Michael Carroll and Eleanor Carroll (nee Russell) had a son Patrick Thomas Carroll born about 1844 and married Catherine Carroll (nee Power). Patrick was from Dublin and Catherine was from Cork.

Re: Michael CARROLL, b/1820 in Ireland >> Braxton Co.,WV.

Posted: 27 Mar 2010 2:25AM GMT
Edited: 2 Apr 2010 8:26PM GMT
Surnames: Carroll, O'Carroll
I have been struggling for weeks trying to find the very same! Michael Carroll was also my GGG via William Henry and Virgil Carroll of Braxton, WV. I have read somewhere that John and Fanora may have been his parents. The Carroll name originated in Offaly - the family had 3 famous castles there -- the Birr, the Leap, and the Kinnity (which is for sale right now for $7M if you know anyone interested!) I read that the Carrolls descended from Kings of Ireland and there was considerable brutality and infighting amongst the family in the feudal days. It also seems they didn't leave Offaly until the potato famine around 1845. I have not found any records of his immigration either. I am also interested in when the name changed from O'Carroll to Carroll. Have you had any luck? Hope to hear from you. My email: carol.sparks@att.net. I may join the Clan Cian to see if I can generate any info.

Posted: 29 Mar 2010 3:31AM GMT
Edited: 2 Apr 2010 8:27PM GMT
Surnames: O'Carroll
I was at both Leap (pronounced Lep) and Kinnity Castles last June. Kinnity is a fully restored B & B, beautiful. Leap is a private residence, supposedly one of the most haunted in all Ireland. That part of Offaly is called Ely O'Carroll Country, the ancient home of the O'Carrolls. This is also the Catholic parish of Dunkerrin which is both in Offaly and Tipperary. The LDS site has the microfilms for the parish you can order. Lots of O'Carrolls in the records. I suggest reading the book "Dunkerrin: A Parish in Ely O'Carroll" by Seamus O'Riain.

Posted: 29 Mar 2010 4:37AM GMT
Edited: 2 Apr 2010 8:29PM GMT
I would love to hear from you to compare notes --- sounds like we are GG grandaughters -- same era maybe. Here is some of my information on my GGG Michael Carroll.

He was born Kings Court Offaly Ireland 1820 and immigrated to WV I believe in 1846 during the Irish potato famine. He was in the civil war for 3 years...on the union side. Married to Elizabeth Brock and had 6 children listed below. William Henry is my line. Can you share information on your relative? Looking forward to comparing notes!

Philip (1852)
Alice D. (1856)
William Henry (1858)
Laura J. (1863)
Michael C. (1867)
Francis H. (1869) female

Posted: 30 Mar 2010 12:16AM GMT
Edited: 2 Apr 2010 8:28PM GMT
Surnames: Carroll
I was wondering if either of these two castles once beloged to the Carrolls who became the Carrolls of Carrollton, MD. Or was it another castle? I have Carrolls who were in Kildorrery, Cork, in the very early 1800's. It is likely they had wandered down from Offaly. Although I doubted the information that was passed on at first, from further research, I do think they were part of the Ely O'Carroll extended family. They did not descend from Charles Carroll the Immigrant or his grandson Charles Carroll of Carrollton. The closest they could come would be descendants of a brother to Charles Carroll of Carrollton's great-grandfather, Daniel of Letterluna. There are too many generations in between the late 1500's and 1800. Jan

Re:Michael CARROLL, b/1820 in Ireland >> Braxton Co.,WV.

Posted: 31 Mar 2010 1:53AM GMT
Surnames: CARROLL
I have read the castles belonged to the princes of Ely...descendents of King Oliol Olum... but still researching. I would suspect that they are related to the Maryland O'Carrolls who came over here not in the potato famine era but prior....they received land grants from the king...I feel certain the would be of that lineage with that relationship. But ...I'm not certain.

Posted: 31 Mar 2010 1:16PM GMT
Surnames: Carroll
Thank you so much for the reply. I appreciate it. I asked because Charles Carroll (later known as Charles Carroll of Carrollton), had some type of gathering for cousins back in Ireland after he completed his education in France. I have been trying to figure out where that might have been. Although it sounds a bit far fetched, since everything else has checked out, someone from my family is supposed to have been at the gathering. Because I have been able to trace my family only to Co. Cork to about 1800, if I knew where the gathering was, it would give me an idea as to where my family originated. Thanks again.

Posted: 1 Apr 2010 2:01AM GMT
Edited: 2 Apr 2010 8:29PM GMT
I read that he was from County Offally - old Kings County --they claim him as one of their own. Look near the Slieve Bloom Mountains and you will be about right where the Carroll's of Ely were.

Posted: 2 Apr 2010 8:37PM GMT
Surnames: Carroll, O'Carroll
With regard to naming conventions:

Carroll would originally been a forename.
The son of Carroll would have been MacCarroll (McCarroll is an abbreviation)
The descendants of Carroll would have become O'Carroll.

It was not uncommon for Americans to drop the O' and many are re-adopting it today.

I heartily recommend that you join the Clan Cian and you *will* learn more of your heritage and the History that you seek.

Chief F.J. Eile O'Carroll died on January 15, 2009. His son, Frederick O'Carroll is the current Chief of Name and Prince Ard Tiarna of Ireland. You will find the Clan Cian on Facebook. They will welcome you.

Slan,

Lauren
per page

Find a board about a specific topic