Search for content in message boards

Privacy of Living Descendants

Privacy of Living Descendants

Posted: 10 Jan 2012 10:29PM GMT
Classification: Query
Hi
Can anyone tell me whether I can upload my entire tree (over 13,000 records) without having to laboriously remove all living descendants first. Is there now an option when uploading to remove all living descendants (as with Rootsweb)? My posted tree is seriously out of date and I would like to upload a more accurate one but do not want to include the living descendants for obvious reasons. Many thanks
Chris

Re: Privacy of Living Descendants

Posted: 10 Jan 2012 10:39PM GMT
You don't say where you are planning to upload your tree but as far as I know, all of the major genealogy websites remove all but the last name for living people.

Posted: 11 Jan 2012 2:31AM GMT
Hi Robert - thanks for the info, I wasn't aware of this. Thanks very much for the tip.
Regards
Chris

Posted: 12 Jan 2012 2:56PM GMT
Chris,

Ancestry claims that it privatizes all of the living individuals. The first time I uploaded a tree here, I did it myself. This last time (last week), I let them do it, and was surprised to find that I can see everybody. I was on the phone with tech for a different issue, and they said that was normal, I can see everything, and anyone that I give "editing" ability to.

Tracey

Posted: 12 Jan 2012 8:54PM GMT
Hi Tracey
I found your comments very interesting. Does this mean that if I were do to a search on say myself in the public tree section, that I would only get my first name, even though I may have uploaded my surname as well?
Chris

Posted: 18 Jan 2012 11:51PM GMT
Tracey

Perhaps you can see everything because you are logged in and the owner of the tree?

Try logging out and then search under family trees without logging in or try using another computer.

Can you still see everything?

Posted: 8 Feb 2012 12:20AM GMT
Stupid software requies a birth date or else has no good way to know if someone is "living." FTM (2012) has so many deficiencies, it's sad.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions