Search for content in message boards

Canadians can't buy online???

Canadians can't buy online???

Posted: 13 Nov 2011 6:47AM GMT
Classification: Query
Actually, they can because the shopping cart allows them to but Ancestry won't actually ship it to you and they won't refund your shipping charge. Unbelievable. This is their exact statement...

"Please do not order from Ancestry.com as we do not ship to Canada due to International shipping and customs issues. Try not to sign up on Ancestry.com as the price is in USD and if the price ever increased you would have to pay that increase. If you already ordered from Ancestry.com it will take about 30 business days or you may not receive the items ordered. Shipping cost is non refundable if you needed a refund."

If you won't ship to Canada then why do you allow people to put in a Canadian address including country = "Canada" in your shopping cart.

Very frustrating.

Re: Canadians can't buy online???

Posted: 13 Nov 2011 1:06PM GMT
File a dispute with your credit card. If they don't ship it, then they aren't entitled to the shipping charge. If they do ship it, and it is returned, then they are entitled to the shipping charge.

Posted: 14 Nov 2011 2:26AM GMT
This must be new because I had no problem at all in ordering from Ancestry.com and paying in $us. I did order when the discount was available but that shouldn't make any difference.

Just go and buy it at FutureShop and save the postage.

Posted: 14 Nov 2011 5:24AM GMT
I went ahead and bought the downloadable version from Nova. If I had known about it I would have done that originally. Oh well - if the Ancestry one arrives in a couple of weeks it will make a nice Christmas present :)

Posted: 26 Feb 2012 7:19PM GMT
It gets worse. Now you can only enter USA as a country at the Nova online purchase form. So the only way to purchase and download a copy is to use a US address? The product is advertised on Ancestry.ca, which is a Canadian site, so if they don't want to sell the product to Canadians, all they have to do is remove the option and ads from the Canadian site. Since I'm unable to purchase the product, can anyone reccommend another product in place of Family Tree Maker?

Posted: 26 Feb 2012 7:36PM GMT
I see that Staples have it on sale until Feb 28th for $39.99 ($30 off) while quantities last. Maybe worth checking if you have a local Staples.

For another software I would recomend Rootsmagic.

Posted: 26 Feb 2012 10:01PM GMT
Edited: 26 Oct 2012 4:08PM GMT
A US postcode will suffice. *Any* US postcode. It's going to be downloaded so it doesn't matter what you put.

It worked very well for me in Australia

Posted: 24 Sep 2012 4:31PM GMT
I was frustrated too but called Nova Development (the ones who make the software) and ordered the download and back-up disk directly. I called 1-877-445-6883 and spoke to a lovely young lady who put through the order for me and I have the download already. And she charged me the usual US price even though she knew I was ordering from Canada. (Why should a download cost 25% for Canadians?) Now lets see if I get the disk shipped to me .......

Posted: 29 Sep 2012 5:49PM GMT
You were lucky. My download wouldn't install and although I got a refund of the original price in US dollars I lost approx. $1.50 on the exchange rate between date of purchase and date of refund. Bummer!!!

Posted: 26 Oct 2012 4:06PM GMT
FYI - Family Tree Maker CD eventually arrived by regular mail. I am happy I went the route I did.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic