Search for content in message boards

Upper Camus and William J Flaherty, prior to 1900

Upper Camus and William J Flaherty, prior to 1900

Posted: 28 Jul 2010 10:21PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 29 Jul 2010 8:51PM GMT
Surnames: Flaherty,Coneely,Sullivan
I am looking for information on my husband's family. His grandfather came from Upper Camus, Galway. There is a Lower Camus and an Upper Camus. I can't find the town when I do a search on the Ireland search website (seanruad website). The Gaelic name is either Camus Eighter or Camus Oughter. I assume one is Lower Camus and one is Upper Camus? But neither of those names come up on the search engine. I found a few Flahertys in Grffiths in Camus Oughter and Camus Eighter, but I don't know which is Lower and which is Upper. They are adjacent and are in the parish of Kilcummin. His grandfather is William J Flaherty and he emigrated to Boston about 1900. He said that he came from Rosmuc on his naturalization record. Why would he say Rosmuc and not Upper Camus or Kilcummin? What is the RC parish for Upper Camus? Can anyone help me out with information on this town or area? He was the son of Patrick Flaherty and Bridget Coneely. He had brother Patrick, Martin and probably Michael and sisters Delia and Mary (Sullivan). I think they all came to Boston. If any stayed behind, I would love to hear about them.
Thank you,
Maryann Flaherty
Boston

Re: Upper Camus and William J Flaherty, prior to 1900

Posted: 29 Jul 2010 12:30AM GMT
Edited: 29 Jul 2010 8:52PM GMT
Surnames: Flaherty
I don't know know which means upper or lower, but I did find this on the 1901 Irish census - "House 21 in Camus Oughter" Galway"

Patrick Flaherty 55 farmer R Catholic born Co Galway
Bridget Flaherty 50 wife " " " "
William Flaherty 23 son " " " "
Martin Flaherty 21 son " " " "
John Flaherty 19 son " " " "
Mary Flaherty 17 Daughter " " " "

Posted: 29 Jul 2010 1:18AM GMT
Edited: 29 Jul 2010 8:52PM GMT
Surnames: Flaherty
Found a baptism record for a William Flaherty 6 July 1874 in Rosmuc parish. Parents Patrick Flaherty and Bridget Coneely. Sponsors: Roderick Flaherty and Ellen Nocton
(Address is listed as Camus)

Does this match your William?

Posted: 29 Jul 2010 11:36AM GMT
Edited: 29 Jul 2010 8:53PM GMT
Thank you. Yes that's him. I have a copy of his civil birth record that his daughter had. It has a note on the corner with his address in Boston dated 1942, so he apparently sent back to Ireland for it. The dob on the civil birth is July 16, 1874. What you found was a baptismal record? Where did you find it? If it is baptismal and it is in Rosmuc, then Rosmuc must be the name of the RC parish? Maybe that's why he said that he was from Rosmuc on his naturalization papers?

Please let know me know how you found this. I'd like to find the siblings.

Thank you! This was a big help!

Posted: 2 Aug 2010 10:15PM GMT
Oughter = Upper, eighter = Lower. On map Camus eigther lies east of the village of Rosmuck south west Galway bay.

Barbara

Posted: 3 Aug 2010 1:32AM GMT
Thanks, Barbara

Posted: 12 Mar 2013 7:12PM GMT
Hey sorry i know this is three years later but I have a great grandfather Martin Flaherty and he came to Boston in the 1900s and was from Camus I don't know what part or anything all I know is my great grandfather settled in south Boston

Posted: 12 Mar 2013 7:25PM GMT
William Flaherty had a brother Martin. Martin married a Bridget Connolly which is confusing because their mother was a Bridget Conneely. I found Martin and a few of his children--check my tree under Carrollfamily. There were lots of Flahertys in South Boston. Do you know when Martin died? If Martin is William's brother I found him as late as 1940 along with most of his children. See if you think it's him.

Posted: 13 Mar 2013 12:24AM GMT
Oh my goodness yes my great grandmothers name is Brigid Connolly they were married in south Boston

Posted: 13 Mar 2013 12:34AM GMT
Then you are my husband's cousin. Email me directly at mcf1122@verizon.net
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions