Search for content in message boards

Westmeath Twnshp Families...

Westmeath Twnshp Families...

Denise Ethier (View posts)
Posted: 14 Oct 2001 1:53PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Ethier, Dupuis, Kenshelea, Stratton, Laderoute, Chevrier, Shea
I am looking for any information on the following families born in and around Westmeath:

My Great Grandparents: Edouard Ethier b. 1867 & Celina Dupuis b.1869 and m. 1892
Had 8 children:
Joseph E. Ethier b. 1895 m. Stella Shea (lived in North Bay)
Alex Ethier b. 1893/1894? m. Mynnie ?(apparently ran a hotel with a barber shop in Westmeath)
Barbara Ethier b. 1897 m. Dan Laderoute
Ida May Ethier b. 1913 m. W. McGuire (owned McGuire's meat shop in Pembroke ON)
Joseph Laurent Ethier b. 1908 M. Lorraine Chevrier
Venance Ethier b. 1906 (lived in Tweed towards end of life)
Joseph Denis Ethier b. 1904 m. Helen Shea (lived in North Bay)
Eva Ethier b. 1910 m. Leslie Stratton

Unfortunately I have very little information on my great Aunts & Uncles and am hoping to discover more. Joseph E. Ethier married to Stella Shea are my immediate Grandparents.

Anyone with information please reply...

Re: Ethier family

Posted: 15 Oct 2001 1:58PM GMT
Edited: 2 Aug 2005 6:29PM GMT
I saw your posting on the Ethier family and was wondering if you had traced the family back. The reason I ask is that I am trying to locate the parents of Francois Laverdure and Sophie Dupuis. The reason I mention my ancestors is that Edward Laverdure was the witness but upon looking up his
marriage, Francois Laverdure was his witness for the marriage of a Eduard Ethier dit Laverdure. In other words, Ethier might have been a two part name name, "Ethier dit Laverdure". The time line does seem to fit as the marriage of the Eduard Ethier dit Laverdure was at the Notre Dame de Ottawa in the 1820's. Just wondering if you had the ancestors of your Eduard Ethier as it might connect to my ancestors.

Daryl
labine@iname.com

Posted: 15 Oct 2001 6:53PM GMT
Hi! Well I have the Marriage registration for my Edouard Ethier and Celina Dupuis (m. 1892). The parents listed are Joseph Ethier and Isabella Bousquet from L'Assumptions, PQ and Dupuis side parents are Maxime Dupuis and Ann Kenshelea from Westmeath area. As far as I can tell they were born between 1845 and 1955. Edouard was born in 1867 and Celina in 1869. The Ethier side seems to derive from Quebec originally so I don't think there is any relationship to Ottawa. Sorry!

Denise

Re: Westmeath Twnshp Families...

Posted: 21 Sep 2002 10:49PM GMT
Hi Denise,

I am the grand-daughter of Eva Ethier and Leslie Stratton, so I guess we are related. As you probably know, Les died in 1987 and Eva last year who still lived in Westmeath at the cottage she had for many years. I don't know much about that side of family. My father was Wayne Stratton who passed away in 1986. I have two aunts Wendy and Joanne who are still alive (Joanne lives in Pembroke) and Wendy lives in Cornwall. I don't remember too much about her side of family. I do recall visiting Denis as a child with them. I know Eva used to tell me about the farmhouse she grew up in which was not far from her cottage. Sorry I can't be much help. Drop me a line if you have any more info.

Tina

Posted: 22 Sep 2002 2:16AM GMT
Tina, thanks for replying to my message. You've provided a little more information than I knew before. I did know that both Les and Eva were passed on. We discovered Les' grave marker just this past Christmas and my brother lives in Pembroke now and told us about Eva. Indeed you and I are related and in fact are closer in blood than you may think or perhaps you do know...You see my Father, Rolly, is actually Eva's son with another man before Les. She was unwed at the time and her brother Joseph and his wife Stella then adopted my Dad from Eva. I did meet Eva once about 13 or 14 years ago at a funeral -- it may have been Denis' but I can't quite remember. I am guessing that you and I are somehow 2nd cousins - or 1st cousins by half???!!! It was lovely hearing from you. I do have Eva's family traced back to the 1600's. If you are interested in that side I'd be happy to share it with you. I just was lucky enough to be able to trace back with the help of another of our "cousins" -- though a very distant one --- who had done an enormous amount of work on the back history of the Ethier side. Let me know... Feel free to e-mail me directly at denise.e@sympatico.ca.

Posted: 24 Dec 2003 3:45PM GMT
Surnames: ethier, akey
I have a Joseph Ethier in my geneaology, but it is a generation earlier, mid 1800s, although I don't have his birthdate. Most likely born in Quebec, Canada. He married Rose Delmar and moved to Rudolph Wisconsin where his name was changed to Akey. We are trying to trace the Ethier line back to France from Canada.

Posted: 24 Dec 2003 3:48PM GMT
Surnames: ethier, akey
My great great great grandfather was Joseph Ethier (born in mid 1800s), married Rose Delmar. He was from Quebec and they moved to Rudolph Wisconsin where their name was changed to Akey. Do you have any information/ties to this Joseph Ethier?????
lindaakey@comcast.net

Denise (View posts)
Posted: 26 Dec 2003 7:43PM GMT
Linda,
Sorry I don't seem to have a Joseph married to Rose. I have a Joseph born in Quebec in 1829 roughly who went on to marry Elizabeth/Elisabeth or Isabelle (take your pick) in L'Assomption, PQ and both passed away in La Passe, ON.

I have information that dates back to 1620 when Etienne Ethier was born in St. Martial d'Manot, ar. Confolens ev. Limoges, France. He married Marguerite Sabelle and had two sons - Francois and Leonnard. Both men came to Canada and landed in Nouveau France which is now Montreal. They lived in an area called Ile de Jesus which I believe is now Dorval area of Montreal. My lineage extends from Leonnard so perhaps the line you are searching comes from Francois. Francois married Jeanne Therese Pilet approx. April 22, 1686 in Boucherville, Chambly, PQ. They gave birth to two sons, who I have listed as Leonard and Francois but this may be a mistake as it seemed odd to me that they named both sons after Father and brother. Leonnard had 4 sons, the first born was Joseph and this name has been handed down - all the way to my own Father who is Roland Joseph.

Hope that helps some Linda! Good luck in your search

Posted: 10 Feb 2004 10:35PM GMT
Surnames: ETHIER
Theophille Ethier (Akey) was born 14 Jan 1853at St. Calixe Canada He died 18 Nov 1932 and married 11 Jun 1876
Mary Elliot
His parents were Joseph Ethier b 22 Feb 1823 m 11 Nov 1845 in Montreal and died 6 Oct 1884 in Rudolph Wood County Wisconsin
His wife was Rose Delima Gosselin
I have his parents as Joseph Ehtier and Catherine Woolf
Theophille Akey is the great grandfather to Michael my husband

Posted: 12 Apr 2006 5:03PM GMT
Edited: 4 Jul 2006 10:28PM GMT
Have you come across the name "Valin" in your search? I believe that Sophie Laverdure had a daughter named Marie Dupuis. I think she might have gone by the name Marcelline.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic