Search for content in message boards

Mannion family. Ardrahan, County Galway

Mannion family. Ardrahan, County Galway

Posted: 29 Jul 2010 1:07PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 30 Jul 2010 1:12PM GMT
Does anyone have any information on the Mannion family from the town, Ardrahan in County Galway?
Kate Mannion was born circa 1845 and married David Collis (From Kineton, Warwickshire) in County Galway. Does anyone know why Brits would have gone to Ireland between 1862 and 1872?

Re: Mannion family. Ardrahan, County Galway

Posted: 31 Jul 2010 9:51AM GMT
Hi! I am sorry but I do not know your family but you asked why the British would go to Ireland. I do not know if you know the Irish history but until 1922 when the Irish gained independance from England alot of the land was owned by English families, the Irish only rented land it from the Squire. Many of the English families had estates also in England, so if they needed an overseer or good household staff they generally employed staff from these. Unfortunately the upper class Victorian English were very snobbish and felt that the Irish to low uneducated and could not speak English [they spoke Galic], and so they were only employed in the menial jobs. It was this mentallity that ruled all Ireland. So many British just qualified school teachers, doctors, engineers and so on with a profession was employed in these posts, they had status, more than in England and so it was generally accepted as a good move for Brits during this period. I hope this helps you understand a little of what life was like in Ireland and why the English was not always liked in Ireland.

Posted: 15 Apr 2013 3:27AM GMT
David Collis born Kineton 1846 - 1896 was a private in the 89th regiment of Foot based at Shambles Barracks Galway. He was my great grandfather. I have additional information

Posted: 16 Apr 2013 9:44AM GMT
Hi Dave4407, it was myself who sent the original post but now have a new account after losing my account details.

Do you have any idea why he moved to Ireland, or where he died? If I remember correctly, from what I found, he died in Hatton, Warwickshire - can you confirm?

Thanks for the information, very interesting and would love to hear more!

Best wishes,
Charlotte

Posted: 16 Apr 2013 9:46PM GMT
I can confirm that he died in Hatton lunatic Asylum on 20th Sept 1896 and was buried in Budbrook Cemetery on 24th Sept 1896. I have much infomation, including his Army records and Medical records, also a photo.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions