Search for content in message boards

FTM Synching issues

FTM Synching issues

Posted: 16 Nov 2011 7:52AM GMT
Classification: Query
I was very pleased to see that Synching between Family Trees located on your computer via FTM and online in Ancestry was finally available. This was something that I had requested.

Unfortunately it doesn't appear to be working correctly. Managed to sync the very first time but any subsequent changes I make in FTM are not uploaded into the linked tree in Ancestry.com. However, if I make a change to the tree on Ancestry.com, the changes are downloaded to FTM.

Any ideas?

Re: FTM Synching issues

Posted: 16 Nov 2011 7:54AM GMT
Oh, and before anyone replies, please note that I have registered and I have unlinked and started again. This has not fixed the problem

Posted: 16 Nov 2011 11:28AM GMT
Are you syncing manually or automatically?

John D

Posted: 16 Nov 2011 12:41PM GMT
Do you refresh the AMT following the sync?

Posted: 16 Nov 2011 2:51PM GMT
Yes I do a refresh and it really doesn't matter whether I have selected Automatic or Manual update. Same issue on both.

Posted: 16 Nov 2011 5:48PM GMT
jmstefanac,

How are you accessing your AMT? Are you using the Link in FTM2012 in the Plan Workspace?

Russ

Posted: 17 Nov 2011 12:25AM GMT
Although FTM indicates that I need to do a sync, when I execute the Sync option either from the main screen or from the Plan screen, I get the following message on the Change Log:

"The changes in this sync update are related to general tree structure and are not specific to data for people, media or sources.

These changes are needed to bring the trees into sync"

This is despite the fact that I have added several new members to the tree on FTM.

If I make changes (I just added a family member) online to the tree at Ancestry.com, and do a sync the Change Log shows that there was an addition and the sync happily occurs with that member added into my FTM.

Sync only appears to be working if changes are made to the online tree.

Posted: 17 Nov 2011 5:14AM GMT
I've noticed that some syncs are two-part, initially it syncs with the up-arrow, then I have to click sync again, and it syncs with the down arrow. It is not always a two-part sync. I haven't taken the time to investigate why - so, hope this helps?

Posted: 17 Nov 2011 6:41AM GMT
Campbell,

Actually, there could be four (4) parts to the Sync process.

FTM2012 to AMT (data)
FTM2012 to AMT (media)
AMT to FTM2012 (data)
AMT to FTM2012 (media)

It depends on what was changed where.

Russ

Posted: 17 Nov 2011 7:53AM GMT
I've had it take up to 5 sync's to get "in sync".

1- sync's data and media (both ways)
2, 3, 4, 5 - structure only

Typically, it was taking two structure cycles to sync.
Like many others my tree is also failing to sync since last week.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic