Search for content in message boards

Sprouse/Leach Hot Springs, Virginia - Bath County Area

Sprouse/Leach Hot Springs, Virginia - Bath County Area

Dutch Schrap (View posts)
Posted: 2 Jul 2003 8:33PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Sprouse, Leach, Tidd
Looking for some lost information...

My grandfather in law was Ira David Leach born in Hot Springs, Virginia on 05/19/1911. His Mother was Eva Sprouse and was born on 05/06/1874. She passed away a few days after giving birth to Ira. She had complications from child birth while delivering twins. She died on 05/26/1911 and is buried "on a hillside in Hot Springs, VA".

The twin of Ira David Leach died approx 6 months after being born from unknown reasons. We know it was a girl but have no idea of her name. Here is the info I have on EVA.. Her father was David Sprouse, born 06/12/1844, died 06/18/1904 and her mother was Sarah Tidd, born 12/24/1844, unk date of death. David and Sarah had 8 children, Eva, Walter W (born 11/27/1875 and married Louise Lwery, born 02/28/1876), Frank, Sam, Shred, Harvey, John, and Walker. We have no info on any of them. He did not remember any of his family history when he was living. After his mother, Eva passed away, he lived with Walter W and Louise Sprouse. We have no info on his father at all with the exception of his last name being Leach.

If anyone has any info, please let me know.

Thanks very much in advance!!!!

Sincerely,

Dutch

Re: Sprouse/Leach Hot Springs, Virginia - Bath County Area

Dutch (View posts)
Posted: 3 Jul 2003 2:30PM GMT
Surnames: Leach, Tidd, Sprouse
I just found out that IRA's father, unknown first name, last name LEACH, may have been a very good woodworker on fancy hotels in the area back in the early 1900's. He may have travelled to Hot Springs area to do some work for hotels. During the pregnancy, IRA's father left and never returned. It is thought that his parents were married, but according to some family, the place where the records were kept in Hot Springs may have burned down???

Hopefully this helps better!

Posted: 4 Jul 2003 3:47PM GMT
Surnames: Leach, Sprouse
Birth records for the 1900's for Hot Springs should be recorded in the Warm Springs, Bath Co., VA. court house.

Posted: 31 Oct 2003 1:53AM GMT
Edited: 1 Jun 2006 8:20PM GMT
1880 CENSUS CEDAR CREEK,BATH VA.
DAVID SPROUSE-34 YR.OLD VA VA VA FARMER
SARAH-35 VA VA VA
FRANK-9
SAMUEL-8
EVA-6-MAY O6,1874
WALTER-5
SHERRI-2
WILLIAM-BROTHER-51
NO REATION.JUST TRYING TO HELP

George A Leach and Eva Sprouse

Dutch Schrap (View posts)
Posted: 27 Feb 2004 8:19PM GMT
Surnames: Leach, Sprouse, Tidd
Hi all,

I just received some great news from a person on another board... This is our family. Wer finally found my grandfather's father. All the dates match up perfectly.

Does anyone have anything on a George A Leach?

Here is the info I received...

Think I found some info. for you. I searched the 1910 VA census in Bath Co., VA and only two names came up with the last name of Leach. Eva and George. However, they were not living together, but the census lists them both as being married. He might be Ira's father. Since it looks like all married women were borders in the home of Mr. Beard, maybe he ran some sort of women's house. Don't know just speculating.

The home where George is bording at lists him as being born in Wash. I can't tell if that's Washington, DC or Washington State.

Also, I found Ira and his aunt & uncle on the 1930 census for PA, and that census states that his Ira's father was born in PA. There are a lot of unanswered questions, but I hope this gets you closer than where you were before. By the way, I tried finding George Leach in 1920, but couldn't find him. I'll try again.

=============

1910 Census / Virginia / Bath Co. / ED48-Cedar Creek / Sheet 20B
Beard, William B. Head M W 40 Mar. VA VA VA Laborer
“, Miriam Wife F W 29 Mar. VA VA VA
Leach, Eva Border F W 35 Mar. VA VA VA
Mall?, Rosa Border F W 25 Mar. Italy Italy Italy
Border f W 27 Mar. Italy Italy Italy
Mon?e, Angel? Border F W 21 Mar. Italy Italy Italy

1910 Census / Virginia / Bath Co. / ED48-Cedar Creek / Sheet 21A
Thomas, Sebina Head F W 55 Wid. VA VA Va
“, Ida Dau. F W 26 Sing. VA VA VA
“, Walter S. Son M W 25 Sing. VA VA Va :Laborer
“, Viola Dau. F W 17 Sing. VA VA VA
“, Bettie H. Dau. F W 15 Sing. VA VA VA
“, Earnest A. Son M W 12 Sing. VA VA VA
Leach, George A. Boarder M W 40 Mar. Wash. Wash. Wash. Carpenter

Name: Geroge Leach Birthplace: WASH State: VA Age: 40 Color: W Enumeration District: 0048 Visit: 0259 County: Bath Relation: Boarder Other Residents: .navbar { font-size: 8pt }
Relation Name Age Birth Place
Head of Household Sebina Thomas
Sheet 21B / Image 42

Thanks for any help again!!

Dutch

Re: George A Leach and Eva Sprouse

Posted: 4 Mar 2004 2:56PM GMT
Surnames: Leach, Sprouse
Dutch it is possible that the census was taken late in the year and Eva was in a home for woman with child as she was with twins that were born in May 1911 of which Eva and then the dau died per your information of July 2003.
Also do you have a source that Eva's husband was a George?

Re: George A Leach and Eva Sprouse

Dutch (View posts)
Posted: 4 Mar 2004 3:13PM GMT
Hi Patricia,

Thanks for your reply. I received this info from a lady doing some research on the family. She found George A Leach on a 1910 census living in the same town and said that Eva and George were married. We knew that my wife's grandfather's father was a carpenter and the name "George" does ring a bell with another family member. The only thing I can't figure out is where "George" was born. It is listed as "Wash." Is that DC or the state of Washington or was it Washington Twp or county?? Ugh.. I did find a George A Leach born right around that time in PA. Funny thing is that his fathers name is Ira Leach. Ira Leach was also the name our grandfather was given. Possibly named after George's father??? Someone else had said that they did think Ira's father was born in PA too....

Thanks for any help. Hope this makes sense.

Posted: 17 Mar 2012 4:19PM GMT
Surnames: Sprouse/Hedger
My name is Suzanne Sprouse Miller. My father is Harvey Sprouse Jr, born 11/1/1920. He is the son of Harvey Sprouse Sr, born in 1880. My grandfather, Harvey Sprouse Sr., is one of the 8 children born to David Sprouse and Sarah Tidd.

This is what I know of them:
Frank Sprouse, born in 1871?
Samuel Sprouse, born in 1872?
Eva Sprouse, born in 1874
Walter Sprouse, born in 1875
Sheridan Sprouse, born in 1878?
John Sprouse, born ?
Harvey Sprouse, born in 1880
Walker Sprouse, born in 1885

Harvey Sprouse Sr. married Sarah Hedger, sibling of George, Mary, Jennie, Cooke, and John Hedger.

Harvey Sprouse Sr. and Sarah Hedger had 9 children:
Carl Sprouse, b. 1905 (married Ella Radcliffe)
Wreatha Sprouse, b 1906 (married Clarence Johnson)
David Sprouse, b. 1907 (married Grace Snyder)
Glenna Sprouse, b. 1909 (married Kenneth Lear)
Clarence Sprouse, b. 1912 (married Hazel Bowers)
Louise Sprouse, b. 1915 (married Harold Smith)
Janette Sprouse, b. 1918 (married Ralph Taylor)
Harvey Sprouse, Jr., b. 1920 (Married Marie Conley)
Edgar Sprouse, b. 1923 (died in 1937)

Posted: 4 Jan 2013 3:12PM GMT
Surnames: Carl Graham Sprouse
I am Carl Graham Sprouse III, grandson of Carl Graham Sprouse and Ella Radcliffe. My wife Pamela J Phillips Sprouse live in Coudersport Pa. My father Carl G Sprouse Jr lives here with us. We have three children. Jeremy w. Sprouse, Michelle Ann Sprouse, Rachel Ella Sprouse. My mother was Betty Ann Wright Sprouse. I believe we visited you and your family on many occasions. My brothers name is Raymond Harvey Sprouse and lives Galeton Pa. My father and your father were very close.!

Posted: 8 Jan 2013 10:22PM GMT
Carl:

I was very excited to hear from you! I remember your family very well. I remember visiting Coudersport as a child, and also remember visits to our home in Horsham. I think it was your father who once brought a little dune buggy that my dad and I drove around the yard! I currently live in Connecticut and my mom is in assisted living facility in Sarasota, Florida where my brother has lived for 40 years. I'm flying down there tomorrow to visit. I would love to get together at some point--I haven't seen any family (outside of my immediate family) for decades!

(Also, you might notice that I changed from name from Suann to Suzanne about 30 years ago.)

Suzanne
per page

Find a board about a specific topic