Search for content in message boards

James Fahy, Clogher Upper, Kiltullagh, Co. Roscommon, Ireland

James Fahy, Clogher Upper, Kiltullagh, Co. Roscommon, Ireland

Posted: 5 Aug 2010 5:20AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Fahy, Garvey
Looking for information on the ancestors of my great grandfather, James Fahy dob 1823. James was evicted from the Kiltullagh/Granlahan/Cloonfad area in the mid 1800's and ended up in Glenamaddy,Co.Galway where on Nov 26, 1878 he Married Kate Garvey of Glenamaddy. From their marriage Certificate, his father is listed as a Michael Fahy. There is no listing for his mother. James died on October 19, 1889. If anyone has any info on his ancestors, then I would appreciate hearing from you

Re: James Fahy, Clogher Upper, Kiltullagh, Co. Roscommon, Ireland

Posted: 17 Aug 2010 5:32AM GMT
Griffith Valuation of Ireland, for tax purposes all land owners and occupiers are listed. The Tithe Applotements of 1820's do the same and both are considered complete and use as census substitutes.

Galway 1856:

Patrick Fahey
Thomas Fahey
Hugh Fahey
All share houses, outbuildings and land 15 acres.2 roods.37 perches & 35.0.21 they are tenants of St. George Gore, in the Glenamaddy Village, Parish of Boyounagh, Townland of Classaghroe. Glennamaddy is also a Civil Parish and a Poor Law Union/Civil Registration District(bmd's after 1864)

There were a total of 676 Fahy in Galway, of those 141 were called Patrick. I could find no Glenamaddy or Shannaghmore
but in the end found the above.

Roscommon 1857:No advance search with mother's name

Five Michael Fahey/Fahy found in Roscommon:

Michael Fahy, Parish of Kiltullagh, Townland Clogher Upper
tenant of Arthur O'Conor 12a Mary Fahy - House; 12b Thomas Fahy; 13a Michael, house and land, sharing 43.2._8

Roscommon: bmd website shows a James Fahy born 1826 with a father Michael. A copy of a parish birth has place,date,
fathers name, and mother's name with maiden name

No birth record for Michael.

Galway: (can enter a mother's name if you have one)

There are 29 Michael Fahy's, 4 x 1845; 5 x 1846; 3 x 1847; 2 x 1848; 1 x 1849; 3 x 1850
With a father Patrick, 1844, 1846, 1847, 1850, 1853, 1856

www.labs.familysearch.org

Kate Garvey marriage registered July-Sept 1878, Glennamaddy
Civil Registration district #101253 Vol.4 Pg. 139

Kate Garvey marriage registered April-June, 1878, Drogheda
Civil Registration District #101253 Vol.2 Pg. 421

James Fahy marriage registered July-Sept 1878, Glennamaddy,
Galway #101253 Vol.4 Pg. 139

Patrick Faly, death registered Oct-Dec 1889, age 73 at death est birth year at 1816, Galway #101595 Vol.4 Pg. 165

Patrick Fahy death Oct-Dec 1910 age 77 at death est. birth year as 1833 #0101604 Vol.4 Pg. 164 Glennamaddy,Galway
I don't see any children with James Fahy and Kate Garvey as parents.

There are more records just look for Glenmaddy, Galway for the Civil Registration District.

www.leitrim-Roscommon.com has the 1901 Census for
Glenamaddy Townland, Parish of boyounagh, Ballymoe Barony,
Kate Fahy age 54, shop keeper and widow, Mary 22, Patrick 17 - shop assistant, Bridget 14, Mary Mannion servant and Henry Mulryan 25 labourer/not married

These can now been seen on www.nationalarchives.ie
1901/1911

www.censusfinder.com United Kingdom+Ireland+County
www.igp-web.com + County

Annette Code
amateur assistance

Posted: 16 Sep 2011 8:23AM GMT
Surnames: fahy Maloney
There were Fahys in Clougher Upper in my youth. Dennis, probably born between 1900 & 1910, would have been a descendent of the James Fahy you mention here (perhaps not direct, but must be very closely related, ). The Fahys were our second cousins. I believe that Dennis' grandmother may have been a Maloney. Denis had one son, and, continuing tradition, called him James. He died in England quite recently and I believe that my brother now owns some of the land. I was born in that village but live in Canada now. Hope this helps.

Posted: 19 Sep 2011 7:30PM GMT
Surnames: Fahy; Gavekan
Thank you for your post. From what I have been able to determine, James Fahy's (1826-1889), mother may have been a Brigid Gavekan as she is the only listing in that area married to a Michael Fahy with a son James around that time. Does this make any recollection?

Posted: 27 Oct 2011 3:03AM GMT
Surnames: Fahy
Wondering if the Fahy's you mention may be the ones I'm looking for. 1901 Census shows James and Mary Fahy. At that time in the house were children Catherine, Thomas, Mary, Michael, Patrick, Denis, Delia, Margaret,and Bridget. My G-grandfather Michael left for America in 1910 with Thomas following a few years later. I know that James and Patrick were very common. Any chance we are looking at the same family.

Posted: 2 Nov 2011 5:48AM GMT
Possibly; Does a townland that sounds like lochboy ring any bell? Info on James is Scant. I am trying to get my hands on the actual marriage cert to Kate Garvey, Glenamaddy to see if I can get any furthur info. James ended up in Glenamaddy as he was evicted from the granlahan region. Is this in your families history? I,m at brick.david@gmail.com

Posted: 2 Nov 2011 5:49AM GMT
Possibly; Does a townland that sounds like lochboy ring any bell? Info on James is Scant. I am trying to get my hands on the actual marriage cert to Kate Garvey, Glenamaddy to see if I can get any furthur info. James ended up in Glenamaddy as he was evicted from the granlahan region. Is this in your families history? I,m at brick.david@gmail.com

Posted: 4 Nov 2011 9:49PM GMT
There is a village called Logboy, not too far from Cloonfad and therefore from Clogher Upper.
This might help,

Posted: 9 Nov 2011 6:38AM GMT
Thank you, I so appreciate your response. From the 1901/1911 Irish Census there are Fahy's living in the townlands of Ballinross; Clogher, Upper; Cloonerkaun all within Kiltullagh Parish. The James Fahy I am related through was born in 1826. It may well be the Fahy's in Clogher Upper as their is a 1857 record of a Michael Fahy as a tenant of Arthur O' Connor with perhaps wife or sister Mary and a Thomas (perhaps James brother). There is also an additional Michael Fahy listed as living with a Gannon family also in Clogher Upper so things are not fully clear. I hope to access these records to get a better idea. It's likely all the Fahy's in Clogher upper and kiltullagh were somehow related. I'm in California and can be reached at brick.david@gmail.com

Posted: 22 Nov 2011 6:57AM GMT
The marriage Certificate of James Fahy and kate Garvey revealed no information on James mother. From the Roscommon Genealogical Society, There is a James Fahy listed as a son of Michael Fahy and a Brigid Gavekan/Gavigan. Does this ring any bells?
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions