Search for content in message boards

Creating a book in FTM 2011

Creating a book in FTM 2011

Posted: 18 Nov 2011 7:25PM GMT
Classification: Query
I have been having problems with making a book in FTM 2011 and just wondered if any of the problems are fixed in FTM 2012 or if anyone has any good workarounds (other than write it all in word and import the charts!!)
Specifically my problems are:

1. The page size defaults to Letter and there doesn't appear to be a way to change the default. (Fine in the US probably but in the UK we generally use A4). Each little section of the book has to be set up and saved to make it work which is a complete pain.

2. The display doesn't allow for headers and footers so you think you have a nice neat page, then when you preview it it goes over to another page. (Reminds me of Word from about twenty-five years ago!)

3. You can add a page break with Ctrl-Return but the preview treats it as a single line break - so no pagination.

I have tried writing in Word and importing and that is not better - pictures get moved around and the pagination gets completely screwed.

Any help would be appreciated.

Chris.

Re: Creating a book in FTM 2011

Posted: 19 Nov 2011 12:25PM GMT
I'd guess you've already exhausted all possibilities that the problem(s) are in your 'printer settings' for paper size etc.

Posted: 19 Nov 2011 12:49PM GMT
Good idea but I don't think it is related to printer settings. My printers are all set to A4. Also I found something from Ancestry (I think) which said you had to change each section separately - if it was printer related you would just change the printer settings once.

I think this is just an example of Ancestry churning out software that hasn't been properly thought through or tested. I have put in a bug report to them.

I think they have bitten off more than they can chew with this. They would have done better to try and integrate with Word - then they wouldn't have had to worry about how to display headers and footers, table of contents etc., they could just concentrate on creating the reports and the text.

I guess I will have to just create the items separately then import them into Word.

Chris.

Posted: 19 Nov 2011 1:16PM GMT
Just been having a play and have a partial solution...

Create the book in FTM but then export it as an RTF file. This can them be imported into Word, which can sort out the headers, footers, sections etc. The index of individuals probably won't work because the pagination will be different, but it makes importing any charts much easier.

Chris.

Posted: 19 Nov 2011 2:36PM GMT
This is probably a stupid question.

Do you have the UK copy of FTM 2011 or are you running the US copy? It should be immaterial, but perhaps it isn't.

Rosemary

Posted: 19 Nov 2011 2:46PM GMT
I removed 2011 from my machine but doesn't it let you set "Preferred" settings for page size then all reports of that type will use the settings?

Regards,

Posted: 19 Nov 2011 3:23PM GMT
I am running the UK version as far as I know.

Yes you can set the settings but I think it is for each report type. In a book you have a mix of lots of types - you can include charts, reports and smart stories. Ideally you should be able to set it for everything - after all why would you want one chart in A4 and another in Letter?

Chris.

Posted: 19 Nov 2011 3:51PM GMT
I agree that you should be able to do this.

Have you made the setting changes and the done a "Save Settings" to "Save as preferred template"?

Posted: 19 Nov 2011 11:30PM GMT
FTM 2010 and version 16 work good for books.

Posted: 20 Nov 2011 3:03PM GMT
Er...depends on your definition of "works good" !!

Just tried 2010. The paper size problem doesn't seem to be there, but the pagination is just as bad. Lines of text are different lengths in the edit screen and the print preview screen - the margins seem to be narrower in the print preview.

Checked 2011 again - Initially I thought the text doesn't seem to move between lines, but I now notice it is happening here as well. There is also something very strange about the way the widow/orphan processing is happening. You get to the end of a page and it starts a new page. Then after the first line on that new page if you keep typing the first line suddenly leaps back to the previous page. Sort of the opposite of how the widow/orphan handling should work!

There is a good reason why Word has taken 30 years to develop - creating a word processor isn't a trivial task. I think Ancestry have bitten off more than they can chew here.

Images are a pain in books as well - you can drag and drop them in nicely, but there don't seem to be captions, and you can't get the text to flow round them. In future I think I'll stick to Word - although I might create all the diagrams I want as a book and then export to Word, rather than trying to export them individually.

Chris.

per page

Find a board about a specific topic