Search for content in message boards

MacDonald/MacDonnel/McDonald/McDonnell 1845-1851 Scotland to Canada

MacDonald/MacDonnel/McDonald/McDonnell 1845-1851 Scotland to Canada

Posted: 21 Mar 2002 5:44AM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 30 Sep 2006 7:17PM GMT
Seeking information on ancestors, siblings, relatives, and descendants of KENNETH R. MacDONALD and his brother DONALD ALEXANDER MacDONALD, sons of Unknown MacDonald. They and possibly other MacDonald family members left Scotland and moved to Canada 1841-1851, and settled in Glengarry Co., Ontario, Canada. The name has also been found spelled as McDonald, MacDonnel, McDonnell. My MacDonald line is a dead end for me, and I would welcome any suggestions. Thank you. akmac02@yahoo.com

Kenneth R. MacDonald, b. 1800-1824 married Catherine, and believe that both died in Glengarry Co. Ontario, Canada. They had at least one child: John Kenneth MacDonald, and I have data on John Kenneth.

Donald was born in Scotland before 1840 and c1895 Glengarry Co., Ontario, Canada.

Re: MacDonald/MacDonnel/McDonald/McDonnell 1845-1851 Scotland to Canada

Paul McDonald (View posts)
Posted: 22 Mar 2002 1:36PM GMT
I have a Kenneth McDonald married to a Catherine in my tree. Please have a look at: http://familytreemaker.genealogy.com/users/m/c/d/Paul-Mcdona... Let me know if you find a match!

Posted: 22 Mar 2002 2:19PM GMT
Edited: 22 Sep 2002 11:07PM GMT
I have scanned your site, and will go back for a more indepth review of your data. re your posting for Kenneth McDonald and Catherine McDonald, do you know when they arrived in Canada?

Paul McDonald (View posts)
Posted: 22 Mar 2002 2:56PM GMT
My McDonald's immigrated from Scotland on the ship MCDONALD.

Posted: 23 Mar 2002 3:07AM GMT
That is interesting. Do you have a sailing date for your ancestors?

Posted: 24 Mar 2002 6:36PM GMT
Edited: 24 Mar 2002 6:53PM GMT
Surnames: Patterson Bethune
I have a young man, D.D. McDonald, b. Feb. 14 1884, was a Shoe Cutter by trade, and was living in the household of my Andrew Patterson and Isabella Bethune in Montreal, during the 1901 Canada Census. This D.D. McDonald states his birthplace as "Rural Ontario". Even though very obscure, I mention this because both Andrew and Isabella were Glengarry residents before settleng in Montreal, and the Bethune family was known to have several marriages with McDonalds. I beleive that this McDonald was a grand nephew to Isabella.

Bill Weiler

Posted: 25 Mar 2002 1:25AM GMT
Thank you for the data. I will keep it on file and if a connection appears will notify you.

Debbie (View posts)
Posted: 27 Mar 2002 2:39PM GMT
I recently ran across the following:

This is a paragraph from The Scotch Irish in America Voume 2 by Charles Hanna. Page 57.

The heading in the middle of the page says CANADA.

"Not being permitted to remain in the United States after the
termination of the Revolutionary War, the Scotch retainers of Sir John Johnson were granted lands in Canada by the British government. The officers and men of the first battalion settled in a body at Glengarry, Ontario, occupying the first five townships west of the boundry line of Quebec province, being the present townships of Lancaster, Charlottenburgh, Cornwall, Osnabruck, and Williamsburgh. Those of the
second battalion removed farther west to the Bay of Quinte, settling in the counties of Lennox and Prince Edward. They were joined in the month of September, 1786, by five hundred of their kinsfolk from Knoydart who sailed with the Rev. Alexander MacDonald from Greenock, in the ship
MacDonald."

Does anyone have any information on this ship, and/or it's passengers? Or of the Scotch retainers of Sir John Johnson??? Or how to research Crown Grants?

My ancestor is Roderick McDonald who was born in Scotland about 1776. According to the 1851-2 Census of the Township of Charlottenburg in the County of Glengarry, Ontario, Canada the family of Roderick and Jane McDonell was at that time living - Concession 5 lot 12 Indian Lands (Charlottenburg Township). This lot of land is situated to the north and east of the Town of Cornwall. A copy of the Abstract for that lot shows Roderick received part of this lot by Crown Grant in 1853.

I have no information how he got from Scotland to Canada. I am thinking it is a good possibility this new information from the Hanna book will help me.

Does anyone have ANY information that will help me locate more information about these folks?

Thanks, Debbie

Posted: 25 Apr 2013 8:37AM GMT
Debbie,
Have you located your Roderick McDonald? I have a Roderick Macdonald who came on the Ship Macdonald from Knoydart to Glengarry in 1786 in my tree. He was born in 1776. However, he married a Mary McDonald (Flory)and they lived at Conc 7 Lot 13 in Charlottenburgh. He was a brother to my Donald McDonald ancestor. Their father and mother were Angus Macdonald and Catherine Macdonald. Wondering if we are connected by a common ancestor. Ann

Posted: 26 Apr 2013 1:52PM GMT
I also have a Roderick McDonnell supposedly b. 1762 in Scotland. he married Catherine Cameron. he died abt 1852 and Catherine died 1884 at Stormont.
They had two known sons, John Hugh b. 1810 at Martintown and died 1872 at Chapeau Que. he married Flora McGillis in 1843. a second son is highly suspect: William b. abt 1806.

All of this information has not been documented and its source unknown however I would love to keep this thread going.

Dave
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions