Search for content in message boards

Sir Humphrey GILBERT

Sir Humphrey GILBERT

Ruthann (View posts)
Posted: 31 May 2000 7:06AM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 7 Jul 2002 4:27AM GMT
Surnames: GILBERT
HELLO, DOES ANYONE HAVE INFO. ON SIR HUMPHREY FROM THE COMPTON CASTLE IN DEVONSHIRE ENGLAND HE IS DECENDENT OF MINE AND HAVE BEEN LOOKING FOR ANY INFO. ON HIM. JONATHAN GILBERT WAS BORN IN ENGLAND ABOUT 1616 AND WAS A LANDOWNER IN HARTFORD, CONN. 1645 AND HE DIED IN DEC. 10, 1682. THE GILBERT LINE HAS ALOT TO BE PROUD OF THEY HAVE A VERY INTERESTING LINEAGE. THOMAS GILBERT JR. WAS MARRIED TO LYDIS WHO WAS EXCUTED FOR WITCH CRAFT IN THE 1600'S. I AM PROUD TO BE A DECENDENT OF THIS GILBERT LINEAGE. SO IF ANYONE CAN HELP WITH SIR HUMPHREY IT WOULD BE GREAT. THANKS RUTHANN GILBERT - DAYE

Re: Sir Humphrey GILBERT

Posted: 31 May 2000 6:45PM GMT
Edited: 27 Aug 2002 2:26AM GMT
Surnames: GILBERT,SCAMMEL
My husband and I visited Compton Castle in Oct. 1998. My husband's maternal grandfather, Archibald Howard Gilbert, his wife Elizabeth (Scammel) Gilbert and their (then) 4 children, including my mother-in-law, immigrated to America about 1908. Archibald Gilbert was supposedly a descendent of the Gilbert line, haven't done anything to research this as yet. Did get a small booklet at the castle with the lineage of the current resident, Geoffry Gilbert, who is the grandson of the Gilbert who re-purchased the castle toward the beginning of the 20th century (after it had been out of the family for approx. 100 years). He and his son restored the castle ruins to its current excellent condition and turned it over to the National Trust.

Posted: 6 Jun 2000 8:40AM GMT
Edited: 7 Jul 2002 4:29AM GMT
Ruthann,

on 13 May I posted an ahnentafel that includes Jonathan Gibert. I don't think I have a connection yet to Humphrey...if I remember correctly, there is one, but it is fairly early. Let me know if you need more detail. My gedcom can be found at {www.ancestry.com}, {www.myfamily.com}, or at MSN communities under {scottwilliamsgenealogy}.

Scott

Laura Gilbert Duhamel (View posts)
Posted: 7 Jun 2000 5:52PM GMT
Edited: 7 Jul 2002 4:28AM GMT
I have just started delving through my grandfather's records (he was our previous family historian). He lists Sir Humphrey Gilbert, English Navigator 1539-1583. Also he lists a Sir John Gilbert m. Lydia Ies. Captain of Militia in 1775, born in New Haven Massachusetts. 1731-1779. Do you think same ones? Many of the Gilbert's in my history ended up in KY

Posted: 7 Jun 2000 7:38PM GMT
Surnames: GILBERT,RALEIGH,NONCHAMP
Hi,
Just a bit more information on Sir Humphrey.
He had a couple of brothers and 2 or 3 half-brothers, one being Sir Walter Raleigh. Their mother was a Nonchamp (I dont' recall the correct spelling of their mother's name)who married Sir John Gilbert and had 3-4 sons, was widowed and then married a Raleigh and produced Sir Walter and his brother. Humphrey and his brothers were familiar in the court of Queen Elizabeth and had a great deal to do with getting their younger Half-brother Walter his commissions to explore. In partnership they sent settlers to what became Virginia and Maine. Sir Humphrey is credited with discovering was is now called Nova Scotia. Sir Humphrey died at sea when one of his ships "The Squirrel" went down in a storm. On the iron gates of Compton Castle there are squirrels as part of the design.

Posted: 9 Jun 2000 2:48PM GMT
Edited: 7 Jul 2002 4:32AM GMT
Surnames: GILBERT,COOPER
Hello,
The rumour in my family is we were descended from Sir Humphrey Gilbert, but this has never been proven. The earliest Gilbert I can find in my family is Stephen Gilbert born February 26, 1778; married to Sarah Cooper in 1798. They had 9 children; some of them born in Massachusetts, some in Pennsylvania. Would like to find Stephen's parents, birth place, etc. and would like to know if he is a descendant of SHG. Thanks for any help.

M.M. Sandness (View posts)
Posted: 21 Jun 2000 8:35PM GMT
Edited: 7 Jul 2002 4:34AM GMT
Surnames: GILBERT,BIRT,TRANTER
Hello, everyone - this is my first posting here.
Family tradition has it that we are descended from the GILBERT family of Compton Castle, Devon, England.
I have only been able to work back as far as my gg-grandfather, Joseph GILBERT,
b. 1818, prob. Birmingham, Warwickshire, ENG
m. Mary Ann BIRT 16 Jul 1837 Edgbaston, Warwickshire, ENG.
Their son, William, b. 25 Feb 1839 Birmingham, ENG (my g-grandfather)
m. Eliza Wager TRANTER 9 April 1863 Southampton, Bruce Co., Ontario, Canada.
Joseph, Mary Ann their children (Wm., Herbert Alice E.) came to Toronto, Ontario, Canada abt. 1848, then moved to Southampton, Ontario abt. 1851.
I would love to hear from anyone with any info on this line, or the descendants of the GILBERT line of Compton Castle.
Thank you very much from M.M. SANDNESS -
sandness@nethop.net
Alternate e-mail mmsandness@hotmail.com

kathy (View posts)
Posted: 22 Jun 2000 9:28AM GMT
Edited: 7 Jul 2002 4:35AM GMT
I have some information as my mother was a gilbert . I have a book written by Harlow gilbert in 1903 but there are afew generatons listed that don't quit seem right. you can reach me at kids10@westriv.com

Posted: 25 Jun 2000 12:14PM GMT
Hi,

The book that you refer to, is it available anywhere? I would appreciate any information.

KATHY (View posts)
Posted: 25 Jun 2000 4:20PM GMT
Edited: 7 Jul 2002 4:35AM GMT
Hi, the book was a very old hand written book and alls I have is a copy of it. I could make you a copy of it or help you with information out of it. who are you looking for?
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions