Search for content in message boards

Stewarts of Pulaski Co, GA > Barbour Co., AL

Stewarts of Pulaski Co, GA > Barbour Co., AL

Posted: 15 Oct 2006 9:27PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Stewart, Stuart, Powell, Sutton, Tucker
I'm trying to find the parents of James Stewart who migrated with other Stewarts to GA, AL, and LA. Here's a chronology of these Stewarts (notice the changes in name spellings):

1820 – James Stuart is in Pulaski Co., GA, next door to John Stuart. These families are a couple of doors down: Shadrack Sutton and John Powell. James married Sarah / Salley, daughter of Reuben and Candis Tucker who were residents of Clarke Co., GA, in 1810.

1828 – James Stewart purchases land in Jackson Co., FL. Also in Jackson Co. are John Stewart, Charles H. Stewart, and Shadderick Sutton.

1833 – James Steward purchases land in Barbour Co., AL. Also in Barbour Co. are John Steward, J.S. Steward, D.S. Steward, and Alexandria Steward.

1840 – James and John Stewart purchase more land in Barbour County. James and Sarah have these children: Mary, Lucinda, Sarah, James L., and Candis.

1849 – James L. Stewart married Lovie I. Wise, daughter of Ezekial Wise (great-great-great grandson of Col. John Wise of Clifton Plantation in Accamack Co., VA) and Winnefred Bullock (daughter of Burrell Bullock) in Barbour Co. James L’s sister Lucinda has married Shadrack Powell Sutton (son of Shadrack Sutton – the guy from Pulaski Co. GA and Jackson Co. FL - and Nancy Powell, daughter of the John Powell who was in Pulaski Co, GA with the Suttons and Stuarts in 1820)

1850 – James L. Stewart, John Stewart, and Alexandria Stewart purchase land in Barbour Co.

1952 – John Stewart dies in Barbour Co. Heirs: wife Anna L., Alexander, John L., Norman, Daniel L., and Margaret McDonald Turner.

1860 – James L. Stewart purchases land in Bienville Parish, LA.

1870 – The James Stewart family and James L. Stewart family are neighbors in Bienville Parish near Arcadia. Also in the area is Shadrack Powell Sutton and his wife Lucinda Stewart Sutton, who had come to Bienville Parish prior to the Stewarts. Shadrack is the postmaster and gave Arcadia its name.

Re: Stewarts of Pulaski Co, GA > Barbour Co., AL

Posted: 15 Oct 2006 9:39PM GMT
Surnames: Stewart, Wise
The wedding photo of James L. Stewart and Lovie I. Wise, circa 1849 Barbour Co., AL, is posted on the Bienville Parish, LA, GenWeb Archives site at http://www.rootsweb.com/~usgenweb/la/bienville/photos.htm There are also photos of her parents and siblings.

Posted: 21 Mar 2013 3:30AM GMT
Hi Ladyhawke,
I have information on Shadrack Sutton and his daughter Elizabeth Sutton. She married Jonathan Knight Stewart son of John Stewart and Mary Knight Hunter Stewart (daughter of John Knight, R.S.) I have been trying to connect John Stewart back to his father on source said father was James Stewart. Another (uncle in family)said Alexander Stewart.
Please contact me if you are still active as post was many years ago. Thanks

Posted: 26 Mar 2013 6:10PM GMT
ladyhawke & Marlene
Do either of you have a DNA test in your Stewart Family? DNA will be the only way we can put the Stewarts in the right camps. My Stewarts are James (1775) and Sarah Fleshman Stewart--their daughter married her cousin Alexander Stewart--another ? connection is John Stewart (VA-KY) who died in 1801.

Posted: 27 Mar 2013 1:17AM GMT
No my Stewarts haven't done a DNA.

Posted: 27 Mar 2013 1:22AM GMT
Jonathan Knight Stewart (son of John Stewart and Mary Knight Hunter) married Elizabeth Sutton daughter of Shadrack Sutton. I have information on this branch. Gathered information in Fla. a few years ago.

Posted: 27 Mar 2013 4:55AM GMT
with a name like Stewart your family may consider doing a DNA test--you only need one male Stewart among all your family and right now the Y-DNA (male) is only $99 on Ancestry.com--I don't mean to sound like a commercial but this has been our best tool to verify our documentation--

Posted: 27 Mar 2013 7:11PM GMT
Surnames: Stewart, Gray, Campbell, Edgington, Grimes, Harover,
ssswasey,

What information do you have about John Stewart (VA-KY) that you mention in this post? I am backtracking Joseph Stewart who came to Kentucky in 1790 from Virginia/Southwestern PA via Ohio River. He had son's named Joseph, John, and James. Joseph (2) had sons named John and Alexander. My attention is always drawn when I see these names repeated generation after generation.

Posted: 28 Mar 2013 1:32AM GMT
In my file:
John Stewart (b. ? d.1801) Livingston County, Kentucky
sons: Ayres, Giles, Milton, and William Washington (1819-1901) married Lucinda O. Watson (1836-1896)parents of Philip Henry Stewart all in Livingston Co, KY
Alexander and Mary Moore Stewart, VA
Alexander and Polly Stewart Stewart, VA, KY, IN
James (1775) and Sarah Fleshman Stewart, VA, KY, IN ---this is my direct, proven (DNA & documentation) line. We are looking for descendants of John Stewart for a DNA test--
There is also a Joseph Stewart

Posted: 28 Mar 2013 1:34AM GMT
I cannot make a connection to this family---yet
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions