Search for content in message boards

Pioneer Coal Company at Kettle Island

Pioneer Coal Company at Kettle Island

Posted: 8 Oct 2010 3:13PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Brown, Duff, Howard, Jackson, Napier, Wilson
My grandfather Jake Brown (b. 1892 d. 1951) and my father Ed Brown (b. 1924 d. 1967) both worked at the Pioneer Coal Company. I know it was in operation between 1912 and 1949 with 300 employees. Jake probably worked there for many years. My father Ed probably in the late 30's early 40's just before he went into the Army. I believed they lived in company housing near the mine. My grandfather Jake had a peg leg, from a mining accident. Someone told me he was the blacksmith for the mine.

I have the book "Images of America Bell County" published by Arcadia, but am disapointed that it doesn't show anything about the mine which must have been an important part of the community.

I was wondering if anyone has any old photo's they would like to share on line or with me and any stories about the mining community before this piece of history is lost.

Thanks.

Bettygene

Re: Pioneer Coal Company at Kettle Island

Posted: 10 Oct 2010 4:57PM GMT
My cousins father worked at the Pioneer Coal Company and the two of us visited the remaining mine site and area in Kettle Island last summer. Email me for more info.

Posted: 10 Oct 2010 9:41PM GMT
Hi,
My grandfather worked for Pioneer Coal Co.
I grew up on straight creek, so I know where Kettle Island is.
Can you tell me direction's to coal mine from Kettle Island bridge off 221.
Thank you,
Brenda

Posted: 10 Oct 2010 10:04PM GMT
Sent you a message with the location and I have photos for you.

Posted: 19 Feb 2011 4:57PM GMT
My father's family lived at the coal camp also, I believe around 1935. I would be interested in photos if you have them.

Posted: 7 Jul 2011 7:36PM GMT
My g grandfather worked at Kettle Island before and after 1913.
Are there records for the mine somewhere?

Eric H Herrin

Posted: 27 Apr 2012 9:07PM GMT
Surnames: Vann
My Great Grandfather, Michael C. Vann (he is listed on some of the records apparently as M.C. Van) was killed in the Pioneer Coal Mine Co. explosion on March 29, 1930. I would LOVE to see old photo's from back then if anyone has them. I do have pictures of my Great Grandfather but none of him at the Mine.

Please feel free to contact me either on here or directly at
sdamen7@aol.com

Posted: 3 Sep 2012 12:29AM GMT
my grandfather was also killed in the 1930 explosion. his name was adron helton. my father was born there in 1926. have found little information about the accident that killed 16 men. i would like hear from anyone on this subject.

Posted: 21 Sep 2012 7:23PM GMT
My name is James Helton Adrian Helton was my half uncle
Adrian Helton was the son of James Patterson Helton
and Virginia Walters Helton. They had two girls Amanda Carolina Helton and Dora Helton. Virginia Helton passed away and James Patterson married Sally Kate Brooks they had four boys Cullen, James, Monro, and Woodrow Helton
they were born Wilton Kentucky Knox County. My father James Helton worked for the Wilton mine company was owned by pioneer coal. He moved to kettle island and worked in the mine until 1949 when the mine closed

Posted: 7 Jul 2013 10:09PM GMT
I lived there in the 40s and have some pictures. All I have to do is find them.
Everyone lived in Company housing. We had a company doctor Pearl E. Giannini MD (UofL); and there was a company store (as in TN Ernie Ford's song),and we used script as money as well as money. A wonderful elementary school. Rev. Robbins was my 4th grade teacher, who taught us the Bible and the times tables. So many of the boys went off to World War II, and many did not come home.
I have meny fond memories of the friends and families we knew there.
Special people!
Lydia Mills
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions