Search for content in message boards

Straight Creek Road, Kettle Island

Straight Creek Road, Kettle Island

Posted: 9 Oct 2010 2:39PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Brown, Duff, Howard, Jackson, Napier, Wilson
I was wondering if someone could give me some information on Straight Creek Road.
My grandparents and their children, including my father lived on Straight Creek Road on the 1930 Census. I always thought they lived in housing provided by the Pioneer Coal Company.
When I google map the area I find few homes, and very few roads off of Straight Creek Rd. Would anyone know where the Pioneer Coal Company was located and if there was a settlement there for the workers?

Thank you.

Re: Straight Creek Road, Kettle Island

Posted: 9 Oct 2010 8:53PM GMT
Hello,

I used the Bing search engine and typed in: Pioneer+Coal+Company+Bell+County+Kentucky

I was able to pull up a report of one coal explosion in the 1920's, a photo of some coal mine script and a couple other things. From a book I have on Bell Co., KY it speaks of an "Old Straight Creek" community and just plain Straight Creek. Old Straight Creek had its beginning as a coal mining community about 1888 when Cumberland Valley Colliery leased lands near the Forks of the Straight Creeks from Pine Mountain Coal and Iron Company and began a small operation there. There were a number of different mining operations there prior to 1900 and afterwards and in 1910 Continental Coal Company came in.

Although I was never on the Straight Creek Road, I do recall my Dad's brother always speaking that when he needed to go over to Knox Co. to where our TAYLOR lands were, he would go out of Pineville, over the mountain on the Straight Creek Road and it would come out a little below where they would go north to where my gg-grandfather, Cornelius Alexander TAYLOR's land was, near the Bell Co. and Clay Co. lines. I also remember my Mother stating she and Uncle Alfred TAYLOR had gone that way to visit the TAYLOR land holdings years and years ago.

Joyce Taylor Collins
La Palma, CA

Posted: 10 Oct 2010 11:42AM GMT
I have a number of extended relatives that lived on Straight Creek Road during the early part of the 20th century. These were Manis/Manes, Messer, Poindexter and Sizemore. From review of the census records and other research, there were several coal companies working the hollow and there were nearly as many mine camps.

These camps were generally torn down after the operations ceased or homes were rented to individuals. During the late 1940s the Department of Mines conducted a photo census of mining communities in KY & WV. Some of photos of the Straight Creek area are available on line at the NARA web site. Key words to search are "Straight Creek" and "Four Mile"

By the late 1940s most of these mine camp homes were in very poor condition and are almost certain to be gone now. Perhaps that is why you are having difficulty in finding the specific area where your family lived. Unless someone out there specifically knows where the community was, it is likely you will need to go to the Bell County Court House and search deed and lease records related to the coal company.

Posted: 10 Oct 2010 7:26PM GMT
My grandfather Grant Brock worked for Pioneer Coal Company,
it was located at Kettle Island, Bell, Kentucky.
This company was open 1912-1949, they had 300 employees.
From Pineville, there are several communities on Straight Creek to name a few: Jenson, Kettle Island, Mill Creek etc.
My grandfather lived just past Mill Creek, to go to work in the mines he had to cross over Pine Mountain, he left for work before daylight and came home after dark.
Look on internet for Kentucky Coal Heritage in Bell County, Kentucky.
Brenda

Posted: 10 Oct 2010 8:11PM GMT
From Pineville take Ky 66E to route 221E (Straight Creek)
you will go through, Newtown, Jenson, Kettle Island, Mill Creek then Stoney Fork toward Harlan, Ky.
Maybe this will help you to look at a map of Bell County, KY
and find these places on the map.
Brenda

Posted: 12 Oct 2010 2:16PM GMT
Thanks Joyce you are always a help. My grandfather Jake Brown and grandmother Nettie or Jennetta Duff Brown appear on the 1920 census in Otter Creek in Clay Co. KY, this was before my father was born. Her parents lived nearby. I know you have Brown's in your tree and found it interesting that you had family in or near Clay too. Somehow we are probably related.

Thank you again for the information on the area, I will print it out and keep it in my file. I always like to hear the history of the area.

Bettygene

Posted: 12 Oct 2010 2:27PM GMT
Thank you for the information about the area. I had a feeling the the camps would probably be gone by now. I will check out the website at NARA, I never knew that existed. I hope someone reading this may have old personal photo's of the camps they would like to share on line with everyone. I think that genealogy and history go hand in hand. It helps to have a feel for a community where our families lived.

I don't think I will ever be able get to the area due to my husband's health. So I rely on the kindness of everyone.

I have not come across any of your family names in my tree, but if I do I will let you know.

Thank you again for your help.

Bettygene

Posted: 12 Oct 2010 2:34PM GMT
Thank you for your reply. I know for sure the family lived in Kettle Island and I located it on Google Earth, it is just outside of Pineville. I will check out the website for Kentucky Coal Heritage in Bell County, KY. I recognize the name Brock but I do not think I have any direct relations in my tree.

Thank you for your help.

Bettygene

Re: Your BROWNS

Posted: 12 Oct 2010 3:58PM GMT
Hello, Bettygene,

Write to me directly if you will. I need to pass on to you some information regarding your BROWNS . . possibly. Seems like they were also in Leslie Co. Is that correct?

Don't have your full e-mail address.

Joyce Taylor Collins
La Palma, CA
joycetcollins@cs.com
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions