Search for content in message boards

Gates Goff

Gates Goff

Posted: 25 Mar 2000 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 28 Jul 2001 12:20AM GMT
Surnames: Goff, Smith
Gates Goff (b. circa 1777) appeared on the 1800 NC Census in Bladen Co, with his wife Lavinia. Please contact me by e-mail if you are researching this family who moved to SC by 1810.

Re: Gates Goff

Posted: 30 Aug 2001 12:21AM GMT
Surnames: Goff, Smith
I'm trying to locate information about Gates Goff & Levinia Smith. They were my ggg grandparents. His will is in the archives in Camden, SC. Apparently, the family moved from Bladen County, NC to Darlington County, SC sometime between 1800 & 1810. In 1812 & 1823, he bought land in Kershaw County, SC. He is listed in the 1820 census for Kershaw County, SC. Unfortunately, I haven't been able to locate any information about his parents. Levinia's father was John Smith; I don't have any information about her mother. I have a copy of his will from 1823. At that time, he was living in Sumter County, SC. If you haveany more information, please let me know.
Thanks!

Leslie Ewald (View posts)
Posted: 30 Aug 2001 2:08AM GMT
I've read his will probated in Kershaw County, and found no additional information regarding siblings or parents. He is my "brick wall". Have searched unsuccessfully for about 4 years and haven't located his birthplace or parents. I always thought he was named for Horatio Gates and his middle name, George, for King George, so I suspect his parents' sympathies were with the British during the American Revolution. Odd that our Gates G. Goff should end up in Camden, Kershaw County, where Horatio Gates disgracefully deserted his post and his regiment during the Revolution, earning him the reputation as a coward. There must be at least 5 Goff descendants I know who would love to have Gates G. Goff's siblings and parent information. Good luck!

Posted: 7 Oct 2012 8:15PM GMT
Add another Goff to your list of Goff folks who would like to find Gates Goff's parents. Please include me if anyone finds the information. Michael

Posted: 19 Feb 2013 10:46PM GMT
I am interested. Mike Goff
per page

Find a board about a specific topic