Search for content in message boards

1900 Indian Territory, Choctaw Nation

Posted: 26 May 2000 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 29 Sep 2006 1:20AM GMT
I would suggest that you invest a bit of time in reading the history of that era in Indian Territory, especially Angie Debo's "And Still The Waters Run"; Kent Carter's "The Dawes Commission and the Five Civilized Tribes"; and Hope Sobar's "The Intruders". You should be able to get these books sent into your own local library through interlibrary loan.

But the facts: by 1890 there were 54,440 Indians- the citizens of all Five Civilized Tribes, living in Indian Territory. At this same time-- there were over 130,000 NON-INDIANS living here, both as "Permitees" (those living under tribal permit) and the Illegal Intruders- who lived here by the rule of the gun! These non-Indians were from every state in the Nation, and many, MANY foreign countries.

1900 Indian Territory, Choctaw Nation

Posted: 26 May 2000 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 26 Jun 2001 3:58PM GMT
Surnames: Holman
I need some help please. I have finally got the copy of the 1900 Indian Territory Choctaw Nation Census Record for my grandparents. The sound index census for 1900 shows(Vol. 13; E.D. 102, P. 8, Line 16) They resided in Tobucksy County. It says my great-grandfather was a merchant and it looks as if he is white. My grandfather was born in the Indian Territory in April 1894. Can anyone explain if they were white why were they allowed to live there and if they are Indian how do I find this out?

Thanks,

Intruders

Posted: 7 Jun 2000 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 26 Jun 2001 3:58PM GMT
Surnames: Holman
I do not think they were "Intruders" as you suggest since my grandfather's census records show him as being born in the Choctaw Nation, Indian Territory, Tobucksy County, and as having citizenship. However, I'm sure you have more knowledge of these things than I so I thank for your assistance.

census for decker and robertson

Posted: 8 Jun 2000 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 28 Jun 2001 3:14AM GMT
Surnames: ROBERTSON, dECKER, KELTNER, KELTNER, MCMILLION, PRICE, PRINCE, CHOATE
DANIEL DECKER BORN 1826 , NEED MARRIAGE RECORD TO MARY CHOATE AFTER 1865. OF LEfLORA CO.(IT) OKLA
NEED THE DEATH RECORD OF WASHINGTON ROBERTON BORN 1855 POSSIBLE OF LEfLORA CO,(IT)OKLA

Your question--

Posted: 8 Jun 2000 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 29 Sep 2006 1:20AM GMT
May I remind you that your original question was- "why were they permitted to live there if they were not Indians" and my reply was that the majority of the people who lived in Indian Territory-- even before 1890, were not Indians-- they were whites!

The census that you referred to is quite specific-- they are listed as "white", the father being born in Louisana to parents who were born in Georgia and Louisana, and the mother was born in Texas to parents who were both born in Texas.

As for your grandfather "having citizenship"-- the census record do not indicate that he had citizenship "in the Choctaw Nation". Quite the contrary! Had they been Indian, their enumeration would have been shown on an "Indian Population Schedule"- which they were not. All that this record shows is that the family was white, but were living in the Choctaw Nation in 1900 and had a child born somewhere in Indian Territory in 1894- nothing more.

grandmother

carolyne sawyer (View posts)
Posted: 10 Jun 2000 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 23 Jun 2001 3:32PM GMT
Surnames: henderson, rogers
E-mail address removed due to bouncing e-mails. Last bounce Nov. 9, 2000. Ruth Adams

iam trying to find information about my fathers mother was was full blooded choctaw and she was married to my fathers father in the 1800s, after he was deceased she married a man named jim rogers, she lived in mcalaster ok. and she had a son that lived there also his name was clerance henderson, i lost track of my family in the 1950s, i hope somebody can help me. i know my grandmother died between 1960-1980, i dont have any dates of her birth records or death certificate. thank you .

intruders

o cagle (View posts)
Posted: 13 Jun 2000 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: legrand, dearman, cagle, hornbeck, black, thomas, moore
to find information on the intruders where would those records be? The census?

Samuel P. Black Family (1820 TN>OK)

Kathy (View posts)
Posted: 14 Jun 2000 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: BLACK, KIRBY, KELLEY, CROOK
Noticed you list surname BLACK in your Choctaw message. I also have a BLACK family, which had migrated from TN to OK I.T. Do you have Blacks that originated from TN (and probably NC prior to that)? Samuel P. Black had several brothers, at least some of which also settled in Choctaw Nation and established businesses.

Kathy

Question on Indian Census

angela La Rose (View posts)
Posted: 23 Jun 2000 12:00PM GMT
Mr Rogers:
Tobusky County:
After the Civil War many people headed West to start a new life. One of the places would be OK. However, the government had to first divide the reservation land which they had given to the Indians. This would be the Dawes Act. then the government offered land to settlers willing to fight the Indians and take free land. This would be the OK Land rush. Although the settlers flocked into Ok, the land was still Indian Territory, divided by the Dawes Act into cerain counties. Alot of men married Indian women so they could go to court and claim Native American to be entitled to that land also. There were also alot of Indians which, after been given white names took on the personna of the whites and lived that way. If you are interested in finding about the Indian Territory go into the NARA.gov. Hit research room then look in search. In the first keyword put in Dawes in the next keyword put in the surname of the person who lived in the territory. It will come with so many hits then click on display results. If your person maaied an Indian it will come back with aD infront of a file number.

information on henderson family

carolyne sawyer (View posts)
Posted: 24 Jun 2000 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 23 Jun 2001 3:32PM GMT
Surnames: henderson

E-mail address removed due to bouncing e-mails. Last bounce Nov. 9, 2000. Ruth Adams

my father was born in heneyetta ok. around 10-04-1908 or 1090 iam trying to get a copy of his birth record his mothers name was martha henderson but i dont know what her madien name was or his fathers name was, can anybody help me on how i can do this? thank you carolyne sawyer.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions