Search for content in message boards

looking for information

looking for information

Posted: 22 Jun 2008 11:56PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Wing/Rollins
My husband's great grandfather is Frederick Wing. He was born in Canada. He married Jennie Rollins around 1908 in Ogdensburg, NY. They had 4 children (Joseph,Edward,Ford, and Edna) a possiable 5th child james died in 1933 (we have no evidence supporting this...just what we've been told). We were also told that Frederick walked out on Jennie one day leaving her to fend for herself and the children. Frederick was never heard from again. It was believed he returned to Canada. Any help or leads would be appreciated.

Re: looking for information

Posted: 24 Jun 2008 11:44AM GMT
I was able to find Frederic/Fred Wing in the 1900 & 1910 Censuses at Oswegatchie (a village within Ogdensburg), St. Lawrence Co., NY.

The 1900 Census stated Frederic Wing was born in OCT 1876 in Canada Eng, parents also born there. He emigrated to the U.S. in 1899 and was still an alien (i.e. not Naturalized), His occupation was listed as day laborer.
He was married 0 years to Jennie born APR 1876 at New York. Her father was born in Canada Fr(ench) & her mother born in New York. She had no children. Also living with them was Maria De Wolf, listed as grandmother, born FEB 1835 New York, father born Canada Fr & mother born New York.

The 1910 Census [copy blurry] stated Fred was 32, married 12 years, an engineer for a coal ____. The record stated he was born in New York, father b. New York, mother b. Canada Eng.
Jennie was age 34, married 12 years, 5 children, 4 living, b. New York, father b. Canada Fr., mother b. NY. The 4 children were James 8, Joseph 6, Edward 5, & Ford 3

Re: looking for information Frederick Wing born Canada

Posted: 24 Jun 2008 10:23PM GMT
Hi -

In 1920 Jennie was living in Ogdensburg, New York, as the head of the family, although her status was "M" for married. She had four children living with her, Joseph L., 15; Edward A., 14; Ford D., 10; Edna M., 8. Her occupation was "presser" in a silk mill.

Re: looking for information Frederick Wing family Ogdensburg NY

Posted: 24 Jun 2008 10:49PM GMT
Hi again -

I searched for James Wing, oldest son of Frederick and Jennie, who would have been 18 in 1920. I found him, in Ogdensburg, in the following household:

Granoline, Edward age 43, head of household
Gertrude A age 37, wife
Joseph E age 16, son
Catherine G age 7, daughter
Woodrow W age 3 1/12, son
Rollins, Lydia age 60, mother-in-law
Wing, James M. age 19, nephew

In 1900, in Ogdensburg:

Rollins, Edward Oct 1844, age 50
Lydia F Oct 1855, age 44 6 children 5 living
Edna B Feb 1874, age 25 daughter
James E Dec 1876, age 23 son
Joseph L Jun 1879, age 21 son
Gertrude A Mar 1882, age 18 daughter

Rollins, William Oct 1846, age 53
Minnie Oct 1862, age 37
William Jun 1876, age 24 son
Jennie M Jun 1878, age 21 daughter

It appears that Jennie was the daughter of William and his first wife, Jane; her son James would have been living in the household of her uncle -

Posted: 24 Jun 2008 11:53PM GMT
Surnames: wing
Thanks. I had copies of 1900 & 1920 census report, Jennie being head of household.When Fred disappeared he really disappeared.

Posted: 24 Jun 2008 11:59PM GMT
Surnames: wing
Thanks so much, you were able to fill in a couple of blanks for me. I had the census records for 1900 & 1920 with Jennie being the head of the household. But not the one from 1910...Ill have to print that off.

I f he were still still considered an alien that could explain why he left Jennie and never came back to the states. Ill have to do some more digging in Canada.

great info...thanks again. Im glad I found someone who knew who I was talking about.

Posted: 25 Jun 2008 12:07AM GMT
Surnames: Dewolf, Rollins, Wing
Wow! Great information! The stumper was at the end. Lydia (Dewolf)Rollins was Jennie's (Wing) mom, as far as we knew. Jennie's father (as far as we knew) was Edward Rollins. I will have to see if I can find anything on William and Jane. They are new names to me. Thank You.

Posted: 15 Mar 2009 1:37AM GMT
Thank you for the information. I checked my files and have the same thing. That is where things dont add up. Jennies DOB is 1878 but according to obit information her mother is definately Lydia Dewolf whom married Edward Rollins. The only thing we can figure is Edwards brother William and Lydia had an affair producing Jennie. Any ideas?

Posted: 15 Mar 2009 1:38AM GMT
I have the same information. Thank You.

Posted: 15 Mar 2009 1:41AM GMT
Yes that is correct according to family members Fred went back to Canada b/c he was in the states illegally. Never to be heard from again. I am unable to obtain any records from Canada, I keep meeting dead ends where Frederick is concerned. Can not even find an obit.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions