Search for content in message boards

Mother's side of the family, Newfoundland -- St. John's and other areas

Mother's side of the family, Newfoundland -- St. John's and other areas

Posted: 22 Apr 2012 3:56AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Oakley & Hennebury Daw families
Hello!

This is my first post here. I'm trying to track down my mother's side of the family for which I have sketchy details at the moment -- my home burned down and all the paper records I had were destroyed.

I'm looking for any and all records people can help me with as I'm essentially starting from scratch again. Birth, death, marriage, military -- anything will be a help!

My mother -- Mildred Louise Oakley, b. 11 Aug 1908 (in St. John's I believe)
d. July 1999 Holyoke, Massachusetts.
She was the youngest of 5 children.
Emigrated to US (New York) in 1937.
Married Bernard Freeman Cann in 1939.

Her father -- Arthur Frederick Oakley b? d prox 1931.
Her mother -- Priscilla Ann Hennebury Daw b? d prox 1913.

Siblings:
brother, Jack (nick?) or formally, John? b? 1900 d 1919?.
brother, Bert (nick?) or formally, Albert? b? d 1990s?.
brother, Harry (nick?)or formally, Harold? b? d 1980s?.
sister, May b? d?.

I know her eldest brother Jack enlisted when he was around 16 to fight in WWI. He returned home about the end of the war, a victim of a "mustard" gassing. He didn't last all that long at home, certainly not more than a year or so I believe, and died in St. John's.

Her brothers Bert and Harry both emigrated to the US, and Bert was married and settled in NY for my mother to live with when she first arrived in the states in 1937.

I think May passed away in Newfoundland, but I'm not certain. She had contracted TB as a nurse in a TB hospital and passed quite young. So I believe it was during the time my mother was still living in St. John's herself.

Re: Mother's side of the family, Newfoundland -- St. John's and other areas

Posted: 2 Aug 2012 7:45PM GMT
Hi from Calgary,

Just came across your posting. Send a note to my personal e-mail geoffgmartin@yahoo.com and I can send you the details you want on your family.

Geoff Martin

Posted: 16 Oct 2012 12:27AM GMT
Surnames: Moody, Duffett, Butler, Freeman ,Pittman, Steele
I am the great granddaughter of Patience Ann Duffett Moody, and she was the granddaughter of Rose Anna Butler Carberry. I am attempting to gather more information about Rose Anna Butler. If you have gather any information, please let me know. My grandmother is Mary Hannah Moody Duffett from Burgoyne's Cove. She married Edward Duffett and moved to Conneaut, Ohio with my mother, Joan Moody. My mother's father is Charles Steele. I remember family names of Pittman and Freeman. My uncle Lewis Moody married Mae Freeman.

Posted: 23 Oct 2012 6:54PM GMT
Surnames: Oakley & Hennebury Daw
Cousin Barbara? I am Bert Oakley's daughter, Joyce. Please contact me at joakley@gravelshea.com and I will gladly give you all the information that you need.

Posted: 24 Oct 2012 10:10PM GMT
Email on its way to you, Joyce!
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions