Search for content in message boards

O'Connell, John, County Kerry to New Zealand

O'Connell, John, County Kerry to New Zealand

Karen Timpson (View posts)
Posted: 22 Oct 2001 2:28AM GMT
Classification: Query
John O'Connell, 3rd son of Bryan(t) and Margaret O'Connell of Gurtatlea? County Kerry, arrived in New Zealand in 1879. Apparently other brothers went to New York at some stage. A letter received by family solicitors in 1970s was from member of the O'Connell-Collins family stating that John and her father were brothers. Any information will be much appreciated.

Re: O'Connell, John, County Kerry to New Zealand

Posted: 22 Oct 2001 1:34PM GMT
Edited: 1 Mar 2003 4:18PM GMT
There are two Gortatlea townlands in Kerry:

Townland Acres Barony Parish PLU
Gortatlea 458 Iveragh Dromod Cahersiveen
Gortatlea 699 Trughanacmy Ballymacelligott Tralee

Search results for Connell/O'Connell heads of household in Gortatlea according to the CD -Index to Griffith's Valuation of Ireland, 1848-1864, done in Kerry 1851/52:

Connell, Bridget County : Kerry
Parish : Ballymacelligott
Connell, James County : Kerry
Connell, John County : Kerry
Connell, Patrick County : Kerry
Connell, Thomas County : Kerry

As there were no Connell names in the civil parish of Dromod, I would concentrate my query toward Ballymac.

Dont be concerned about the difference in spelling of Gortatlea.

You might contact the local priest for marriage and baptisms,who still has the parish registers in local custody:

Ballymacelligott Roman Catholic parish
Earliest Record:
b 10 1868
m 11 1868

Parish Priest
Catholic Church
Ballymacelligot, Co Kerry
Ireland

You can start your letter with:
Dear Reverend Father,

**Please** be patient and considerate when contacting the parish priests ... they are very over worked and do not have enough time for their own parishioners. Some cover more than thier own parish. It is NOT their job to do research for you. A donation to the church would surely be appreciated and may be a justification to the priest to take the time away from his usual duties to do this for you as it would be helping his church. Be as precise as possible... i.e. do not ask him to look up "all the O'Connors" in his parish! Remember pouring over their record books in Latin is very time consuming for them.

If you have any marriage, birth or death dates after 1864 you can search the Civil registration index films:

http://community-2.webtv.net/mpetzolt2/irishcivilreg/

mary

Joy Campbell (View posts)
Posted: 23 Feb 2002 9:08PM GMT
I have a Annie O'Connell my g Grandmother who arrived in NZ in 1879ish from Ireland. Could this be your Margaret but known as Annie ???
Just trying to trace her

Anne O'Connell (View posts)
Posted: 6 Nov 2003 6:27PM GMT
i see a reference to an O'Connell-Collins family in you posting. I am looking for info on my O'Connell-Collins connection. Can you give me some help? I've hit a brick wall. My grandfather Joseph P. O'Connell married Winifred C. Collins in Colorado, USA.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions