Search for content in message boards

Family history for surname ROACHE

Family history for surname ROACHE

Posted: 24 Nov 2012 3:56AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Roache, Roch
I'm trying to find information on my great-grandmother ESPERANZA LUIZA ROACHE, known as 'LUISA' - born 1887. She last lived in Saleufi with her family in the 1970s, died around 1975/6 at Mapuifagalele Home.

I'm also keen to find information on her father FRANK ROACHE who is not Samoan but I'm not sure of his European ethnicity.

Would love to hear from anyone who might have solid or hearsay information. Fa'afetai lava.

Re: Family history for surname ROACHE

Posted: 25 Nov 2012 3:01AM GMT
Edited: 25 Nov 2012 3:01AM GMT
In the LDS microfilm of British Subjects in Samoa no 1130493 it lists the following people;

all listed on July 11, 1896
Mrs Maria Leutogi ROCH, born Samoa,married by Father Remy 16 Jan 1887, copy of marriage certificate lodged in(British) Consulate.

Esperanza Luisa ROCH, born Matafele,Nov 18,1887;daughter of Frank ROCH and Maria.

Francisco Gillermo ROCH born Faleasiu, April 24 1889 son of Frank Roch and Maria

Silveria ROCH born Faleasiu March 28 1896, daughter of Frank and Maria ROCH
- note by Thomas Trood- British Consul- (In the Roman Catholic Register of Births she is stated to have been born on 28 March 1891, which is probably correct)

John Sebastian ROCH, born Faleasiu,Oct 13,1894.son of Frank and Maria ROCH
It would appear that Frank Roch was dead by July 1896, as there is no mention of him. He presumably was British, as they are all registered as British subjects at the British Consulate. The couple married in the Catholic church, so he may have been Irish rather than English.
Note the spelling of ROCH.

Posted: 26 Nov 2012 3:17AM GMT
Edited: 26 Nov 2012 3:37AM GMT
Talofa Chris and thank you very much for this information.

I already had baptizimal records for Luisa and her siblings but the dob variation for Silveria is new to me. It may be the answer to a question I've had for a long time which is, why is there a 5 year gap between the two middle children? My father always believed that his Aunty Silveria was older than his Uncle John and this may well confirm his belief and answer my question.

Your information on Luisa's parents is the most solid I've had to go on so far and in sharing it with my father, he is now recalling memories from his childhood long forgotten.

I was aware of the difference in the spelling of our surname also. Its yet another question I hope to find answers to. All the decendants of the four siblings (now five generations worth) use the spelling ROACHE so it leads me to believe that either the records are incorrect or our great-great-grandfather Frank himself altered the spelling for some reason.

I know that there are some original records of British subjects in Samoa during the late 1800 period held here in the NZ Archives. That'll be my next stop.

Thanks again for your help. Its invaluable.

Leta

Posted: 16 Jul 2013 9:51AM GMT
Hi leta, i am the granddaughter of aigamaua vili roache who is the first born to john roache( son of frank roache) and malia taito, i too have been searching our family history, i have been trying to keep up to date with our family tree as i have contacts from roache and wulf side. So would be good if you could also share with me your findings as well and i can give you what info i have as well. Hope you see this message. Regards Flo
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions