Search for content in message boards

Leaves Indicating **DNA** Shared Ancestor Hints

Leaves Indicating **DNA** Shared Ancestor Hints

Posted: 7 Dec 2012 2:32PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 12 Dec 2012 10:53PM GMT
We now get leaves that indicate Shared Ancestor Hints, but I get them for only some of the matches that actually have Shared Ancestor Hints when opened. Does anybody know why? Also, I just realized that we get those leaves (at least sometimes) when the tree is private. Of course, we aren't told who the shared ancestor is, but it does suggest which private tree owners we might try to contact.

Re: Leaves Indicating Shared Ancestor Hints

Posted: 7 Dec 2012 3:47PM GMT
I just noticed them as well and pattern is not yet clear although it could be a useful new tool.. I have not seen them on any private trees..i have over 600 of those that i have moved to removed list so i can see them all together but not a single green leaf in there. Even one tree that was public that had a shared ancester and is now private does not have leaf...fortunately, i printed page when it was public so i know the connection. Maybe they are rolling them out over time.

Re: Leaves Indicating Shared Ancestor Hints - something else new

Posted: 7 Dec 2012 3:55PM GMT
Also noticed in relooking at shared ancestor matches that they are now showing both ancestors when you had a married couple in both trees..before it would highlight only one but the other would be on surname list...they must be rolling out all kinds of new things in this beta phase.

Posted: 7 Dec 2012 4:53PM GMT
Edited: 7 Dec 2012 4:57PM GMT
I'm glad you brought this up, because I was happy to see that feature announced a couple weeks ago. However, I have not noticed any apparent change to what I already see.

Where you seeing these leaves? Do they show up on your AncestryDNA Member Match list? This is what would be most useful.

I have two members that show a Shared Ancestor Hint after I click on their name, but it doesn't look any different than it did before. It shows each of our partial trees and our common ancestor. I wouldn't have known that unless I clicked on their name. There were, and still are, no leaves.

What would really be useful is to have the leaves show up on the long list of members rather than requiring us to click on each one to see that Shared Ancestor Hint.

Posted: 7 Dec 2012 5:03PM GMT
Edited: 7 Dec 2012 5:04PM GMT
Oh boy! Thanks for mentioning this - I didn't notice any leaves earlier, but I just checked again and see a few. Most of mine are missing, too. Maybe not all of the SAHs have been processed?

I'm glad to see both members of the couple show up, too. It should help prevent some sloppy thinking. (On one of my leaves, only the husband shows up because the wives have different surnames, so that's good.)

Yay - now I can use the "kudos" option on the Beta Feedback button! Between this, the new BGA/phasing at 23&Me, and my husband's autosomal FTDNA results finally coming in, I think my weekend plans are set. ;)

Posted: 7 Dec 2012 5:38PM GMT
I am going to try to attach a screen shot of the leaves.
Attachments:

Posted: 7 Dec 2012 5:43PM GMT
Edited: 7 Dec 2012 5:43PM GMT
And here's a screen shot of a private tree with a leaf.
Attachments:

Posted: 7 Dec 2012 5:59PM GMT
Edited: 7 Dec 2012 6:00PM GMT
The screen shots are great, and super-great that it also cross checks private trees. That's how I hoped it would work.

It looks like my results may not have been scanned yet for the shared ancestor links.

Thanks!

Posted: 7 Dec 2012 6:04PM GMT
You're welcome! It's weird, though. Only about half(?) of my matches with Shared Ancestor Hints have leaves. ???

Posted: 7 Dec 2012 7:18PM GMT
These changes are great but i also think it is funny how us "regular" posters to these board keep turning up these changes almost by accident. Thank goodness for these posts to clue us in to look for new tools that weren't there last week and we aren't crazy, they are new.

Don't you wish it was like the updates to apps where they tell you what is new before you download it! But anyway it comes, i welcome new tools. If i start seeing the leafs next to private trees i will be thrilled and might figure out when to contact them...right now with no clues, it hasn't been worth the time
per page

Find a board about a specific topic