Search for content in message boards

Kully Chaha, Choctaw Nation, Indian Territory

Posted: 29 May 2000 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 29 Sep 2006 1:20AM GMT
Shelia-
The LeFlore County USGenWeb site has a map showing exactly where the Kully Chaha area was located. Click on this address:
http://www.rootsweb.com/~okgenweb/twpmaps/leflore.html

The mention of Sebastian County AR may have been to tell someone where he received his mail, but it was not part of the Choctaw Nation or even Indian Territory.

As for "Indian blood"; if he was Indian, that will be shown on the 1900 U.S. census - what tribe, the degree of Indian and white blood of each parent. The 1900 Indian Territory census does (thankfully!) have a Soundex to help you locate the family and which roll of census film to go to. These records may be rented (less than $5.00) and brought into your own public or LDS library on microfilm. To the best of my knowledge- they are not "on-line".

jc

Kully Chaha, Choctaw Nation, Indian Territory

Posted: 29 May 2000 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 14 Sep 2001 2:45AM GMT
Surnames: Burgess
My great, great grandfather's name was Sparrell Edward Newton Burgess. He listed his address as Kully Chaha, Choctaw Nation, Indian Territory, Sebastian Ark.
Later he lived in Leflore Co. Ok. Does anyone know where this is located? Also does anyone know anything about this person? How would you find out if your ancestor was Indian and if so what tribe?

Kully Chaha

David Earl Pinson (View posts)
Posted: 28 Sep 2000 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: Pinson
LeFlore county (before Oklahoma statehood) included the
town of Hackett, Sebastian county, Arkansas in its territory
This is a little known fact that came out when a government
worker interviewed an old part-Indian who remembered the
"Indian cries" that were an annual event in the area of
Hackett. My relative, Lafayette "L.F." "Tobe" Pinson was an
intruder on the Choctaw Nation and later a Deputy U.S. Marshal who worked for hanging judge Isaac Parker out of Ft.
Smith.

Re: Kully Chaha

Posted: 6 Feb 2003 8:59PM GMT
Edited: 11 May 2004 6:22AM GMT
hi there......am looking for info on my grandfather, Charles Joseph Pinson born 1898 in Tex. i believe....married Johnnie Maude Prestridge...My g-father died in Altus, Oklahoma in the early 1970's....you are the first post i have seen that mentions Okla. , so was hoping that you have heard of Charles Joseph.
Thanks,
Renetta

Re: Kully Chaha

Shelia Gibson (View posts)
Posted: 7 Feb 2003 3:18AM GMT
Sorry, but I haven't ran across the names you are looking for ...Charles Joseph P........ but if I do I'll keep you in mind. Good luck. S

Re: Kully Chaha, Choctaw Nation, Indian Territory

Posted: 9 Oct 2012 10:43PM GMT
Edited: 12 Oct 2012 4:43AM GMT
Surnames: Burgess
I live in the cite that was the old Indian town of Kully Cha ha. Sparrell Burgess is in my mother's ancestory. My grandmother was a Burgess. The Burgess's are Cherokee but have no role number.

Posted: 12 Nov 2012 4:48AM GMT
Surnames: anderson, potter
My great grandmother, Mary Frances Anderson was said to be of Choctaw descant. She was born in Kully Chaha (High Spring Area) in August of 1872. She married Alfred Whitfield Potter of TN/OK Anyone ever heard of her? Iwould love to get more info on the area, the Andersons and Potters of that area/era...
thanks in advance
Shelly Potter-Lathrop in NC

Posted: 13 Nov 2012 4:53AM GMT
Who is your mother. Actually I am related to Sparrell Edward Burgess who married Tabiatha Jones Burgess. Their son Sparrell Edward Newton Burgess was my great, great grandfather. In my research and comparing my research to others we have found the Burgess Family I am related to were not Indian nationality. They are connected to the area and one of my great great grandfather's brothers gave his children to an Indian family to raise. We have participated in the Burgess DNA project and no Indian blood was found. You can email me at sgchewy@earthlink.net

Posted: 14 Nov 2012 5:39AM GMT
Classification: Census
Please read my other posting tonight; I am seeking records for my maternal grandfather's lineage thru his mother I was always told was Choctaw Indian. I found my great-grandmother, Laura Elinor House on 1900 Census (know it is her because of children's names and spouse's name)
It shows she was in PLUMLEE and OSAGE TOWNSHIPS, ARKANSAS, her specific address in Plumlee. The Choctaw Trail of Tears was them being forced from homeland onto Osage Indian Territory in Arkansas. I found maps of area and of Indian Reservation on Google Maps.
Her maiden name was Matney, her mother was Mary Louise Naney and Mary's father was Green William Naney.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions