Search for content in message boards

Timothy Carpenter Shelley m: Mary R. Booher in Tenn.

Timothy Carpenter Shelley m: Mary R. Booher in Tenn.

Posted: 10 Mar 2012 5:54AM GMT
Classification: Query
By 1910 Timothy and Mary R. and 4 of their sons were living in Baylor Co. TX. Can anyone tell me who the sons married and where they went? Simon Martin Shelley married a Lona M. unk.
Any help would be appreciated. Thanks, A. Taylor

Re: Timothy Carpenter Shelley m: Mary R. Booher in Tenn.

Posted: 10 Mar 2012 11:09AM GMT
From Arch Huddleston to Timothy Shelley, huh? If you have not already, logon https://familysearch.org/ and setup a "free" account. Simon Mortin Shelley (27 Aug 1885 - 25 Sep 1976) was the only sibling that married. His wife was Lona Powell and her surname found on their son's, John Vernon Shelley (27 Aug 1913 - 25 Mar 1928), death certificate. Their daughter listed SSDI: Lillian I. Shoopman (22 Mar 1918 - 8 Dec 2001) along with her last husband, Luther James Shoopman (19 Sep 1912 - 10 Jul 1989). From our prior collaboration, use the Texas Birth Index url to find records: Imogene Shelley/Deryl Jeter, Lillian Imogene Shelley/Julian Floyd Rainwater, and Lillian Imogene Shelley/Luther James Shoopman. Schuyler's death listed as S. F. Shelley (Jan 1878 - 2 Jan 1914). Will J. Shelley (7 Jul 1888 - 27 Apr 1919) died of pneumonia. Lewis Allen Shelley (9 May 1883 - 17 Sep 1953) died in Wichita Falls. Mollie R. Shelley (2 Jun 1849 - 20 Dec 1920) died in Seymour, Baylor County. Unable to locate death certificate for Timothy Carpenter Shelley.

Posted: 10 Mar 2012 11:40AM GMT
Edited: 10 Mar 2012 12:21PM GMT
Curiosity got the better of me! There are no male-Shelley fathers listed in Baylor County. In addition to Lillian Imogene, three other females (Dorothy Katherine Shelley, Tomme Mae Shelley, and Robbie Lois Shelley) gave birth around the same timeframe. Believe the others were daughters of Thomas Walter Shelley (14 Aug 1899 - Aug 1983)? Thomas' father was Robert Fielding Shelley (13 May 1871 - 27 May 1942). Thomas' grandfather was William M. Shelley born about 1842 in KY from John Shelley born about 1785 in NC. They relocated from the same area of KY as Timothy Carpenter Shelley. There must have been family-ties? Definite family tie-James Wilkerson Shelley-Timothy's younger brother relocated to Texas. He, James, did not follow Tim to Baylor County but remained in the Fannin-Grayson County area.

Posted: 10 Mar 2012 9:04PM GMT
What can I say, my family was prolific. Yes, the Shelleys in Baylor were more than likely related. Let me check and I'll get back to you with how. I'm on my daughter's computer now so no access to records.
Again, thanks so much for the information. Sorry, I'm keeping you so busy. Maybe tomorrow I'll be hunting someone else in your territory. My children say I'm "hunting dead people" when I'm working on genealogy.
A. Taylor

Posted: 12 Mar 2012 6:13PM GMT
So far, I haven't located any of the ladies you've listed. But there were related Shelley's in Texas as early as 1850. I'll get back to you about those and Dorothy Katherine, Tomme May and Robbie Lois if I ever find them.

Posted: 25 Mar 2012 6:22PM GMT
Surnames: Wright, Carpenter, Shelley, Frogge, Swinney, Marley, Willard, Vanhoy
Yes, the three women you mentioned were the daughters of Thomas Walter Shelley. William M. Shelley's father was John L. Shelley. John L.'s father was Peter M. Shelley, Sr.

Timothy Carpenter Shelley's father was Simon Peter Shelley. Simon Peter's father was Daniel Shelley. Daniel's father was Peter M. Shelley, Sr.
So it was all in the family just as you thought. There were also some related Shelley's who settled in Blanco Co., Texas.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions