Search for content in message boards

CAPTAIN JAMES ROBERTS (Vaovai)

CAPTAIN JAMES ROBERTS (Vaovai)

Posted: 15 Dec 2012 2:50AM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 15 Dec 2012 3:36AM GMT
Surnames: Roberts Lealiifano
I am searching for information about my great, great, great grandfather Captain James (Simi) Roberts who came to Samoa some time in the early 1800s. Where did he come from? Why did he go to Samoa? He married a Samoan woman called Fa'alealoa. Captain Robert's grave is by the waterfront down at Vaovai. I would love to find out more about him. Among their children was a son, John (Sione) Roberts, born in Salani in 1831. Sione married Eseta Lealiifano who was born in Vaovai in 1833. Their daughter, Carolyn (Kale)is my great grandmother. Any information about this family would be much appreciated.

Thanks
Rowan

Re: CAPTAIN JAMES ROBERTS (Vaovai)

Posted: 13 Feb 2013 10:11AM GMT
Surnames: Roberts
Hi Rowan I have just started researching my Samoan roots. My gg grandma was Carolyn sister. My late mothers name was Kale (Caroline). I'm in new Zealand and have an auntie Lily who is 90 and spent time with her on Monday getting info. I'll chat with her in the week and see if she can tell me about Capt James. Take care Bruce

Posted: 14 Feb 2013 10:08AM GMT
Malo Bruce. Good to meet you. You are so lucky to have Aunty Lily to talk with. My mum, Heather Hughan, asked for you to please say a big hello to her next time you speak. I have started recording mum's memories too. According to her, our relations were always really surprised at how much your mum looked like my great grandmother, Kale. I have a lovely photo of her and her daughters, if you would like to see it. Quite a few of Kale's siblings died in the flu epidemic in Samoa around 1918. Which sister was your gg grandmother? I was given a family tree by Aunty Loa Scott.
Like Caroline/Kale/Kalele/Carrie, Lily is quite a popular name in our family. I remember a beautiful girl called Lily who ran the store at Falealili in the 1970s when we lived in Samoa for a time and used to go down to the village to stay in the school holidays. I hope Aunty Lily knows something about Captain Roberts as my searching has not been successful at all. We went to look at his grave (and Kale and Eseta's) at Vaovai and my cousin says the graves survived the tsunami. Hope to hear from you soon. Take care, Rowan

Posted: 1 May 2013 4:05AM GMT
Surnames: roberts lealiifano

Hello rowan. My name is Tomahawk. My fathers name is Siaki Roberts. My grand-father is David roberts whose father is vaatila siaki(jack) roberts(my father was his namesake). if there is a number we could possibly contact you at my father would love to talk to you about the family tree. We have a family tree that was passed down all the way from Siaki. please give us contact info and let us know. Or you can get a hold of my father at 1-760-508-2127. I dont know if youre in the states but that is a california number. just ask for iuli(my fathers matai name) and you can also privately email me at Tomahawk9210@gmail.com
Attachments: a picture of my great grandfather siaki sitting in front of his casket at the age of 102.
Attachments:

Posted: 1 May 2013 10:50AM GMT
Malo Tomahawk,

Good to meet you. I’m in Sydney but I’d love to speak with your dad. I can see Siaki Vaatila Roberts born 1886, son of John and Eseta, in my family info. He was my great grandmother, Carolyn (Kale)’s younger brother. Thank you for that amazing photo. What year did he pass away? Did he live in Samoa?

I’m not sure what the time difference is between here and California. I'll find out and give him a call in the weekend.

Talk soon,
Rowan

Posted: 8 May 2013 8:51PM GMT
Hey! Do you know my dad Henry Roberts. I think you two are brothers right!? I'm totally lost with all the siblings and I would like to know exactly who all the siblings are.

Posted: 10 May 2013 1:54AM GMT
Yes Henry is my brother. I believe this is winny right? Um as far as I know we are the same age lol. but um you can add me on fb. Tomahawk Roberts

Posted: 12 Oct 2013 3:29AM GMT
Hi - I am currently trying to find more information about a man called "James Roberts" who married my great grandmother. On the marriage certificate it says he comes from "Sefei" or "Lefei" (difficult to read) from a south sea island. It states that he was 27 years of age in 1884.

It is possible that he arrived in Australia as a crew member of a ship and then ended up in Rockhampton.

Does anyone have any ideas is he is possibly a son of Captain James Roberts??Jo

Posted: 24 Nov 2013 12:06AM GMT
Hi Joanne,

There isn't a James on our Roberts tree who would've been 27 in 1884 - not that they were always honest about their ages or sometimes didn't know a definite date of birth. The birth place doesn't say Salani or Vaovai or Falealili does it? Sorry I can't be more help.

Rowan

Posted: 17 May 2014 12:53AM GMT
Hi Tomahawk, Bruce and Joanne, I hope everything is going well for you all. Have any of you had any luck in finding any more information about James or John Roberts of Vaovai lately??Where they originated from? I haven't been able to find anything. It's so frustrating. Do you know whose grave this is down by the sea at Vaovai?

Take care,
Rowan

Attachments:
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions