Search for content in message boards

Johnstons of Tallant

Johnstons of Tallant

Posted: 11 Sep 2008 11:38PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Johnston, Cowman
I am researching the family of Alexander Johnston born c 1807 who married Margaret Cowan in 1840 and lived at Tallant on Islay. I have been told that Alexander is part of the Laphraoig family of Johnstons. In 1851 Alexander was described as being a farmer of 50 acres. He had a live-in housemaid and farm servant. By 1861 the census gives his acreage as 60.
He seems to have been in the right place and his children had the same names as the Laphraoig Johnstons, but I can not find any connection.
Can anyone help please?

Re: Johnstons of Tallant

Posted: 14 Dec 2008 8:21PM GMT
Classification: Marriage
Surnames: johnston, cowan
Hello

you may have this but JIC

this couple had their banns read in:

2nd April - Barony Glasgow City & 29th March - Bowmore, Argyll

Alexander was OTP and Margaret of Bridgeton, Glasgow (Actually married in Glasgow)

this entry on 2nd Apil shows witness as: Campbell & Mr. Nicol

Posted: 15 Dec 2008 6:47PM GMT
Surnames: Johnston, MacNiven, McNevin, Keith
Karen, I have been trying to trace the parentage of my gr-gr-grandmother Elizabeth Johnston who married Alexander MacNiven 06Sep1832 at Kilarrow, Islay. Her birth year over decades of Ontario Canada census records ranges from 1811 to 1816 which is of course a major obstacle trying to confirm her ancestral roots in Islay. I found a 20May1819 Kilarrow baptism record for an Elizabeth Johnston, residing Cruach, dgt of Archibald Johnston and Catherine (Kath) Keith which may be my gr-gr-grandmother, presumably with a delayed baptism.

In any case it is my understanding that your Alexander Johnston (spouse of Margaret Cowan) was the brother of this Elizabeth, with parents Archibald Johnston and Catherine Keith, grandparents Alexander Johnston and Isabelle Dallas, and great grandparents Ronald Johnston and Martha Graham. Information I was given or found about this family line appears to include your Alexander's birth (Johnston Arch Keith Katherine Neriby Alex 12Dec1805 Kilarrow) ,and death(Kilarrow 340270 Johnston Alexander 22 Jan 1874 68 Cowan Margaret Johnston Archibald Keith Catherine Archibald Johnston-Son Nephritis Talant).

If you have any information about the Elizabeth, who is the sister of your Alexander Johnston I would love to compare notes. By the way my gr-gr-grandmother Elizabeth's children's names are also a very strong match for the names that occur in Archibald Johnston and Catherine Keith's line, so like you that is the encouragement I am using to believe I am on the right track.

Garnet

Posted: 16 Dec 2008 2:37PM GMT
I am a descendant of the Johnstons of Tallent and have a fair knowledege of the family members. If you wish to contact me, please do at email adress: basilsa@iburst.ci.za.

Regards
Basil Johnston
South Africa
per page

Find a board about a specific topic