Search for content in message boards

ROWIN FAMILIY OF SHERIDAN CO.,WY. by 1901 LOOKUPS

ROWIN FAMILIY OF SHERIDAN CO.,WY. by 1901 LOOKUPS

Posted: 28 Mar 2009 11:21PM GMT
Classification: Query
I am seeking any information on the Orin LeRoy and Olive Jane Ire family who came from Wisconsin to Sheriden Co., Wyoming by 1901. Orin was born 1859 and died in Sheriden Co., between 1901 and before 1910. His widow was Olive and she had ten children:

1. Lulu Rowin b. 1885 called school teacher in Sheridan, WY in 1910

2. Clinton S. Rowin b. Oct 1887

3. Leda M. Rowin b. Oct 1888 d. aft 1910 of Lower Prairie 7th Dist., Sheridan Co., Wyoming

4. Gertrude Estelle Rowin b. 29 jun 1891 in Wonewoc, Juneau Co., Wisconsin d. Nov 1974 in Casper Natrona Co., Wyoming m. Clifford Arleigh Goodnight abt 1916 in Sheridan or Big Horn Co., Wyoming

5. Leonard G. Rowin b. July 1893 WI, lived in both Sheridan Co., WY and Hill Co., Montana

6. Claude I. Rowin b. Feb 1895 d. after 1910 of Lower Prairie, Sheridan Co., WY

7. Orrin Dale Rowin b. 12 jul 1899, WI d. 17 May 1915, buried in Sheridan Municple Cemetery.

8 Ione Rowin b. abt 1903 d. after 1910 of Lower Prairie, Sheridan Co., Wyoming

9. Norman Rowin b. 8 Mar 1904

Would appreciate any death/obits on mother OLIVE JANE IRE ROWIN. Did she remarry between 1910/1920 in Sheridan?

Or an obit on Olive's husband Orin LeRoy Rowin-Engineer who must have passed on in Sheridan 1901/1910.

Did any of the other girls, Lulu Rowin, Leda M. Rowin, or Ione marry in Sheridan.

Did any of the boys stay on: Clinton Rowin, Leonard G. Rowin, Claude I. Rowin, Norman Rowin.

Much thanks for any help on this family.

Re: ROWIN FAMILIY OF SHERIDAN CO.,WY. by 1901 LOOKUPS

Posted: 3 Mar 2010 8:20PM GMT
Surnames: Karnes, Tilley, Ire, Rowin
Hello, my name is Lynnette (aka: Nettie). Leda M. Rowin (Tilley) was my great grandmother on my fathers side.
We have questions as well, but perhaps we can share what we know.
Olive (Hin) Rowin, from what we have been told, worked for the US Governement and would load up her children in the canoe's and set up camp for vaccines and medical care to the Native Americans.

I have been raised to believe that we are Cherokee Indians, but have some doubts due to all the "secrecy". I am certain that we are native american, just not sure what tribe.

Leda Rowin Tilley married Luther A. Tilley. He passed away in 1965 and she passed away 1980. I'm not sur ehow many kids they had together. One was my grandmother, Carol Tilley and the other was Olive "Peggy" Tilley.

I know very little about this side of my family. My father, Billy Karnes, passed away in 2010. What few answers I have obtained over the years, havent really helped much.

Carol Tilley married JD Karnes and they had five children; Jim Karnes, Samantha Karnes, Linda Karnes, Joe (Luther) Karnes, and Billy Karnes. Billy Karnes was born in Welch, OK on September 15, 1946 and this is my fater.

I really dont even know much about my grandmother, Carol. She still living, but ver secretive about everything.

Olive J. "Peggy" Bauer, who married a Jack Bauer. She was born on June 24, 1922 in Casper, WY and served as a WAVE in WWII assigned to Ellyson Field in Pensacola, FL. I only know this because I came upon the obituary in Richmond Times Dispatch death notices I found by google.

I keep running into dead ends, but was amazed at this posting. How do you know so much about it, if I may ask? Are you related? We have been trying to trace our history for some time now.

Please, feel free to respond to and / or contact me.

Posted: 4 Mar 2010 2:45PM GMT
There is a wonderful site: wyonewspapers.org. You can go there and see the newspapers from all over the state of Wyoming from the late 1800's through 1921 or 1922. I did a quick look up this morning of Rowin in Sheridan county. I did find some society items for Lula Rowin, and a couple of things for Leonard and Ione. The most interesting one was a legal notice for Olive Rowin as heir of Clinton Rowin regarding his homestead. This was in the Sheridan paper dated Oct. 16, 1914. So from that you will know that Clinton was dead before then. Although I didn't find any obits, I didn't really have a whole lot of time to look. When I get to the Sheridan library I will look in their obit section. Good Luck,

Posted: 18 Mar 2010 12:41AM GMT
Surnames: Tilley, Rowin
Hi Lynette;

My name is Roger Harrer; my wife was born Peggy Tilley in 1943. Her father was Orin Benoni Tilley, son of Luther Augustine Tilley and Leda Myra (Rowin) Tilley.

Olive Rowin’s father Andrew J. Irr (Ire?) was from Germany, born in Loraine about 1825. He died 26 Feb 1899.

Olive and her children are shown in the 1905 Wisconsin Census; no husband is mentioned so he (Orin Le Roy Rowin) may have died prior to that year. Son Dale O. (1900 US Census) is shown as Orin D. The family is found in the 1905 Wisconsin Census under the spelling “Rowen” on Ancestry.com.

According to the 1930 Census, Olive J. Rowin was living then in Tacoma with her son Norman G. Rowin. She is shown as the head of the family, and Norman is a laborer at a smelter. Norman enlisted in the military in 1942 in Los Angeles, and died 26 Jul 1972 in Lomita, California.

Olive’s daughter Leda Myra Rowin had a daughter Betty, born 28 Oct 1914, in El Paso, Texas. I have no information on Betty’s natural father. Betty married Tom J. Hotchkiss and they had sons Bruce and Malcolm.

Leda then married Luther Augustine Tilley before 1916. She “bought” him out of the army, which was possible at that time. He was about 6 years younger than Leda. Leda and Luther had 5 children: Orin, Lily, Luther Jr., Olive “Peggy” and Carol. Lily died at age 4, possibly of rickets. Orin is the father two daughters: my wife, Peggy (Tilley) Harrer is the younger of the two.

Leda died in 1980 in Herkimer, New York. She lived her latter years in New York with her daughter “Peggy” (Rowin) Bauer. Peggy married John J. “Jack” Bauer, the oldest of about 10 children; Jack’s youngest brother was Henry Albert “Hank” Bauer, who became famous as a major league ball player and manager. Jack and Peggy had children Jay and Carol Marie.

Carol Rowin married J.D. Karnes. My wife Peggy Harrer remembers some of her Karnes cousins, from the 1950’s … We may have some pictures of some of them.

The “Cherokee” heritage … Augustine Tilley (b. 24 Aug 1861)went from Missouri to Oklahoma in one of the Oklahoma land rushes, the Cherokee Strip Rush of 1894. His wife Sarah Jane “Sadie” (Hesseltine) Tilley became sick and died either on the prairie there or back in Missouri. I believe their son Luther Augustine Tilley went to live with an uncle Benoni Tilley back in Missouri, and his two older siblings went to live with the Hesseltine grandparents, also in Missouri. Augustine Tilley remarried a woman named Mary and they had three children, Jewel, Grant, and Daisy, and this family can be found in the 1920 US Census. Anyway, the Cherokee connection may have come about from this history. I have not found any evidence of Cherokee or other Indian blood in the Tilley family, for what it’s worth.

My condolences on your father’s passing. It can also be a shock to realize when parents or grandparents are gone, all the information they had about the family is suddenly gone too, and one then has to find other sources. I didn’t get really interested in genealogy until my folks were no longer there to ask. Anyway, perhaps this will help you find more information.

Roger Harrer

Posted: 22 Sep 2010 1:15PM GMT
Nettie, contact your uncle in Tulsa or Muskogee. I believe your uncle Jim may have some genology information.

Corrction on your online querry:
Carol Tilley married JD Karnes and they had five children; Jim Karnes, Samantha Karnes, Linda Karnes, Joe (Luther) Karnes, and Billy Karnes. Billy Karnes was born in Welch, OK on September 15, 1946 and this is my fater.

Carol Tilley married JD Karnes and they had five children; Johnie (Jim)Karnes, Billy (Bill)Karnes,Linda Karnes,Luther(Joe) Karnes, and Kathy Karnes.

Billy Karnes was born in Welch, OK on September 15, 1946 and this is my father.

Posted: 4 Sep 2011 9:46PM GMT
Orin L. Rowin died in Door County, Wisconsin in Dec. 3, 1904, and is buried in the Juddville Cemetery. I just posted a photo of his gravestone at Find A Grave. The engraving on the stone is almost impossible to read, but reads "Orin L Rowin 1861-1904". There is more information about him at the Peninsula Genealogical Society Website. Also, if you look up on the internet, information about the ship "Erie L. Hackley," you will find that Orin was a crew member on the ship and survived when it sank in Green Bay in 1903.

Posted: 5 Jun 2012 7:48PM GMT
orin rowin was my great granfather this son jack was my granfather how worked on the railroad he had 3 boys howard ,robert, and clinton the oldest my father

Posted: 5 Jun 2012 7:48PM GMT
orin rowin was my great granfather this son jack was my granfather how worked on the railroad he had 3 boys howard ,robert, and clinton the oldest my father
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions