Search for content in message boards

Dillard at the Alamo

Dillard at the Alamo

Posted: 9 Dec 2004 1:50AM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 9 Jul 2005 1:23PM GMT
The published record states that a John Henry Dillard, age 31 died at the Alamo, March 6, 1836. It appears that very little is "officially known about him. Iam hoping that someone out there may be able to document his ancestry. The record suggests that he was from Tenn.

Re: Dillard at the Alamo

Posted: 27 Mar 2005 3:30PM GMT
Edited: 17 Apr 2005 9:36PM GMT
You could try Sumner County Tn.for John Henry DILLARD.I remember
hearing that was where he was born.

Lots of luck
Johnnie M. Dillard johnniemae7@charter.net

Posted: 2 Jul 2005 4:30AM GMT
I am descended from Caroline Dillard who I believe was a niece of John Henry Dillard, the Alamo defender. The information I have is that John Henry was born in Smith County, TN, about 1805. This is not 'proven' info but it may be helpful or so I hope.

Posted: 9 Jul 2005 1:56PM GMT
I am hoping someone will challange me on the following report. John Henry Dillard, born 1805, Smith Co. Tenn., age 31, departed Tenn. alone, leaving his wife, Sarah (Jacob) Dillard, and his two children: Susan Dillard & John H. Dillard behind. He departed with Col. David Crockett and others, for Texas. He enlisted as a private (rifleman) in the Army of the Republic of Texas. He was, of course, killed at The Alamo, March 6, 1836. John Henry Dillard's wife remarried: (Southern Mayfield), and they all moved to Texas, 1837.

Susan Dillard, Daughter of John Henry Dillard (Alamo), later married Benj. Hickey. This marriage produced four children.
I have their names.

Susan Dillard: born: Aug. 6, 1831, died on or about March 27, 1908 in TX.

I have a copy of her obituary (printed in the newspaper).

The obiturary was written by (I believe Mrs. RA Slack) in whose home Susan Dillard Hickey died.

Come on folks, lets get with the program!

We need to recognize this Dillard who died a HERO!!

My interest in this man stems from the fact that his grandfather, Nicholas was brother to James Dillard Jr., whose daughter was Nancy, who married William Hogan, Henry Co. Va. 1780. William Hogan is my direct ancester, and I am quite proud of the fact that John Henry Dillard was a 2nd cousin to me.

Posted: 4 Oct 2005 7:14AM GMT
Surnames: DILLARD
MY AUNT TOLD ME WE HAD A ANCESTOR THAT WAS AT THE ALAMO,I AM HOPING THAT THIS IS THE SAME DILLARD YOU ARE TALKING ABOUT WE HAVE NO INFORMATION ON HIM, WE HAVE ONLY BEEN ABLE TO GO BACK AS FAR AS RUFUS DILLARD AND WE HAVE NO BIRTH DATES OR DEATH DATES ON HIM,
I KNOW OUR DILLARDS POSSIBLY CAME FROM KENTUCKY,
ONE GOOD INDICATION ON RATHER ITS OUR DILLARD WOULD BE HIS HEIGHT I AM HOPING THAT ANY INFORMATION ABOUT ANY DILLARDS THAT WERE RATHER SHORT WOULD PROBABLY BE MY ANCESTORS I AM TALKING ABOUT UNDER 5FT, I DON'T KNOW IF THEY WERE ALWAYS THAT TINY OR NOT, SO I COULD BE SPINNING MY WHEELS LOOKING, BUT I DO KNOW WE HAD A DILLARD IN OUR FAMILY THAT WAS AT THE ALAMO

Gerald Hogan (View posts)
Posted: 8 Oct 2005 2:27PM GMT
Bobbie Walker:

Regarding yours of Oct 4, 05.

I have established the following:

John Henry Dillard departed Smith Co.Tenn, (no doubt with David Crockett) to Tx. He enlisted, with some 50+ others upon arrival in East Tx. in the Rep. of Tx army. (Crockett is included on the same enrollment list.) Dillard, along with 5 others on that list were at the Alamo. Dillard's widow, who remained in Tenn, along with her 2 children came to Tx,

Known facts.
JH Dillard's wife was Sarah Jacob
Children: Susan Dillard, JH Dillard, Jr.

Sarah remarried: Southern Mayfield

SUSAN DILLARD married Benj Hickly at age 21, was left a widow at age 27.

Brother JH Dillard, moved to OK, and I know nothing about him

SUSAN DILLARD HICKLY died March 24, 1908.

For proof, I have:

The enrollment list (Rep. of Tx) Jan. 14, 1836
The published obit for SUSAN DILLARD Hickly
The official published list of the Alamo defenders.

On a personal note, I am rather disgusted at the LACK OF INTEREST in this famous Dillard who gave his life in the defense of Texas, as I have had little response to my my query.

If you are interested in my data (I have much more), I will make copies and mail them to you if you will provide mw with a postal address.

BOBBIE WALKER (View posts)
Posted: 9 Oct 2005 3:08PM GMT
Surnames: DILLARD
YES! I WOULD LOVE ANY INFORMATION AT ALL YOU CAN GIVE ME ABOUT THE DILLARD THAT FOUGHT AT THE ALAMO,I AM VERY INTERESTED,I FIND THAT ABSOLUTELEY WONDERFUL, NOT THAT A DILLARD DIED BUT THAT ONE FOUGHT FOR THE ALAMO I FIND THAT VERY HEROIC,AND I KNOW MY FAMILY WILL BE THRILLED TO KNOW ANY INFORMATION, THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR YOUR INFORMATION.
BOBBIE JO DILLARD-WALKER

Gerald Hogan (View posts)
Posted: 9 Oct 2005 4:24PM GMT
Bobbie: As I stated, I cannot scan stuff into my computer. If you want anything, please e-mail me at SAR_SCV@hotmail.com with a postal address to which I can mail copies to you.

Jerry

Posted: 18 Oct 2005 9:27PM GMT
Surnames: Dillard at the Alamo
Bobby,
Could you tell me about your Rufus Dillard, Birth, death,marriage etc.
My father-in-law was born 1878 (d) 1951.His mother was Martha E.Dillard
(father unknown).He was born in Sumner County Tn.His name was Rufus Monroe.
Let me hear please. johnniemae&@charter.net

Posted: 18 Oct 2005 9:33PM GMT
Surnames: Dillard at the Alamo

This is a ps.
You might want to look at Christy Chapman's website. It has some Dillard genealogy from our line. http://lookatus.4t.com

Johnnie Dillard
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions