Search for content in message boards

Jacob Springer

Jacob Springer

Cindy Logan (View posts)
Posted: 30 Jul 2002 7:44PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Springer, Hiobe
Can someone help clear up something for me? My 7th great grandparents are Jacob Springer and Phoebe Hiobe. My information says that Jacob was born in 1668 in Burlington NJ and is the son of Charles Christopher Springer and Brita Salinius, Charles was born in 1592 in Germany and died in 1669 in Sweden, Brita was born in 1626 in Sweden and died in 1693 also in Sweden. What confuses me is that the parents were born, married and died in Europe but their son was born in New Jersey. If this is true, then the only explanation that I can come up with is that they had enough money to travel to the US and later returned to Europe. I don't know what my source was (of course, a lessen to haunt me). I am looking for information saying when and where their other children were born. Any help would be appreciated.

Re: Jacob Springer

Posted: 20 Oct 2002 1:09AM GMT
Edited: 22 Oct 2002 1:16AM GMT
My info. on this (largely from undocumented Internet sources) is that Christopher Springer, b. 1592, Lamstadt, Germany, d. June 1669, Stockholm, Sweden, was married to Beata Salina (Salinus) who was b. in Sweden and died in Gripsholm Castle, Sweden on December 17, 1693. Christopher had two other wives, Alma Dorethea Jocobie and Henrietta Stulcenrauch. According to Jessie Evelyn Springer, he studied law at Wishaften and took an active part as a protestant in the Thirty Years' War (which ended in 1648). Sweden received a section of the north coast of Germany for its help in the war including Wismar where Christopher lived. He became a Swedish subject in 1649. He moved to Berlin for a short time and then to Stockholm. He worked for the Swedish Crown for 40 years starting in 1629. He was a court musician and a member of the treasurer's secretariat. Beata also served the Crown as a "lady in waiting" to the Queen of Sweden.
Christopher's children possibly included Elizabeth, b. 1655, Charles Christopher, b. November 6, 1658 (definitely the child of Beata Salinus because he wrote letters to her from Delaware that have been preserved), Christopher, b. 1661, Baltzar, b. 1664, and Jacob, b. 1668. All children were born in Sweden and, as far as I am aware was the only one to make it to America although there is a lot of doubt about that. It is well known and well documented that Charles Christopher, b. 1658, ended up as an indentured servant in Carolina after being kidnapped by a English "Press Gang" (it's a long interesting story) and later went to the Swedish colony in what is now Wilmington, DE. I don't know how Jacob got to America (if he is in fact the son of Christopher and Beata).

Posted: 20 Oct 2002 3:12PM GMT
Edited: 22 Oct 2002 1:16AM GMT
In my previous response I left out the words "Charles Christopher" in front of "...was the only one to make it to America..."

I wasted some time, but learned a lot about Charles Christopher Springer and the Springer Hoax, when I tried to figure out why my father (now deceased) had thought our Springer line came from Charles Christopher Springer. He, like many others, was thrown off by an ancestor who had bought into the Springer Hoax and either inadvertently or deliberately identified Mathias Springer, b. about 1738 (my g-g-g grandfather) as a grandson of Charles Christopher Springer. Although I am still trying to establish Mathias' origins, I am now convinced he did not come from the Charles Christopher Springer of Delaware line.

I certainly do not have any evidence that your Jacob was a child of Christophher of Lamstedt.

Posted: 21 Oct 2002 4:19PM GMT
Edited: 17 Apr 2003 7:04PM GMT
Hi Michael! I am also from a Springer line. I am from the Rhode Island Springer's who have nothing to do with the hoax nor with Christopher!! Lawrence Springer came to Rhode Island sometime between 1660 and 1670, he came from the Island Barbados. His parents, John and Mary were from England and came to Barbados between 1635 and 1645. Our little Springer research group is working on documenting all of this. I will have to check my notes to find a Jacob but feel free to e-mail me directly. powrmom@hotmail.com Would love to see if this may be your connection!

Posted: 4 May 2005 4:02AM GMT
I know that I am posting this message quite a while after the original; however, I am hoping that you come across this. I have received my grandmother's geneology records/documents. In it I found what looks like to be 4-7 microfiche/newspaper articles/documents that have outlined the Springer line...when who came to America and so on. Basically they picked on line and ran with it, but I think it's the line you are searching for. If you get this and would like...I can copy it and send it to you...or scan it and email it to you. Let me know :)

Courtney

Posted: 4 May 2005 3:52PM GMT
Edited: 28 Jun 2006 5:24PM GMT
Surnames: Springer, Price
Courtney - do these documents happen to include any information about the Springers who were in Lawrence Co., TN in the mid-1800s?

Posted: 4 May 2005 4:29PM GMT

Michael L. Springer (View posts)
Posted: 4 May 2005 9:23PM GMT
Courtney,

Do know when approx. they "went west?"

Mike Springer

Courtney (View posts)
Posted: 4 May 2005 11:17PM GMT
I'm sorry Mike...it doesn't...Courtney

Posted: 5 May 2005 4:54PM GMT
Which Springer line is it? I would be curious to know? My g-grandmother was a Springer as well. Thank you in advance.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic