Search for content in message boards

Vaughns in Kentucky

Vaughns in Kentucky

Posted: 16 Sep 2000 7:30AM GMT
Edited: 13 Jul 2001 2:22AM GMT
My grandmother was Georgia Roberta (Vaughn) Prudden. She was born July 1901 in Kentucky to George Robert Vaughn and Mary Elizabeth (Leonard) Vaughn. I can't go back any farther than that. I know grandma had an older sister named Lula and several younger siblings. Any info on them would be appreciated. Thanks, Toni

Mary E. Vaughn

Mark A. Olafsson (View posts)
Posted: 22 Sep 2000 5:51PM GMT
I dont have any info on your grandmother but your great grandmother Mary E. Vaughn sounds familiar. My great grandfather Frank James Leonard (York, PA) had a sister named Mary Elizabeth Leonard wich died 1909. Also my great grandmother Mary Ella Vaughn maybe had a brother named Georg. I wonder if there is a connection. I f you have any further info on Georg and Mary Vaughn would you please reply.
Thanks, Mark

Mary Elizabeth (Leonard)Vaughn

Posted: 23 Sep 2000 5:50PM GMT
Edited: 13 Jul 2001 2:22AM GMT
It's possible, but I can't make any connection. I know that on at least one census she is listed as "Lizzie". I think that one of her daughters is also named Mary Elizabeth Vaughn. Thanks for responding. -Toni

Ky Vaughns

debbie briscoe (View posts)
Posted: 17 Dec 2000 3:27PM GMT
I am looking for information on Margaret Vaughn born in KY in 1831....father's name was probably Frank. She married Joseph Mitchell in Lowdnes Co. Ms 08/24/1848...
any help would be appreciated...

Vaughn in Mississippi

Melanie Vaughn (View posts)
Posted: 26 Dec 2000 9:48PM GMT
My granddaddy's name is Stephen Albert Vaughn from Lowends County MS. I am not sure about the spelling. He married Sally or Sarah from New Orleans. His mother was Hermie Williams.

Vaughns of Mississippi

Debbie (View posts)
Posted: 1 Jan 2001 6:57AM GMT
I read your message. My great great grandfather married a Margaret Vaughn in Lowndes County Mississippi on Aug. 24 1848. My great great grandfather was Joesph S. Mitchell. I am trying to research the Vaughn family history. They are both buried in the Paul Baptist Church Cemetery in Tallahatchie County Mississippi.
Do you know any history on Maragret Vaughn?
E-mail me @ deebee3@earthlink.net

Columbus, MS Possum Town

Melanie Vaughn (View posts)
Posted: 15 Feb 2001 12:47AM GMT
I would like to correspond to any of my relatives that are mentioned in the family history book titled, "Possum Town". It was written by a special relative from Tennessee or elsewhere. I am ashamed that I can't recall the author. She spent much time and devotion to it's compulation. I was young and recall the named Vaughn, Williams, Sealy, (maybe) & Otis maybe also. It is so disrespectful of me to not state the correct names; after the years of research and searching acuracy that was done by my great, GREAT, aunt. Any knowledge of such a publishing of my family's history that can enlighten me would be most appreciated. I seem to remember a family reunion somewhere, like Tenn. I remember the hotel and a cute male cousin near my age. I think his name could have been Jessie, Curtis, Collin, KKK?, OR SOME SORT OF UNUSUAL YET COMPLEMENTARY TO OUR TREE. Forgive my ignorance. I also remember jiffy pop popcorn. Jeptha Mark Vaughn's daughter- Stephen Albert Vaughn's granddaughter & Hermie Williams Vaughn's Great granddaughter, Melanie Kay Vaughn -- With Love and honorable respect and thanks to God

Re: Vaughns in Kentucky

Rhonda (View posts)
Posted: 31 Aug 2001 2:30PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Vaughn Vaughan Vaughns
I'm not sure how (or if) my line ties in with yours. I noticed some similarities though.

My great grandfather was Huey Lee Vaughn. He is said to have had a sister named Lula and a brother named Leonard (among quite a few other siblings).

As far as I've been told his father was named Huey Lee Vaughn also. So...perhaps I have his father's name wrong and your Georgia is a sister of my great grandfather Huey...Or...maybe there is no connection at all.

I have hints at my line of vaughns all over the southern states. Especially Georgia and Alabama (I think!). This is one of my "dead-end" branches so far.

I have come across other Huey Vaughn's in Kentucky..so maybe there is something to the connection. He is also said to have had brothers Roland and "Stoney" and sisters Clara and Rosie. I was told that there were more as well.

I'll mention your grandmother's name to my grandmother and see if she remembers an Aunt named Georgia. Do you have any relations of this line in AL, GA or TN?

Re: Vaughns in Kentucky

Toni Lamb (View posts)
Posted: 26 Sep 2001 2:26AM GMT
Hi Rhonda, I don't remember my grandmother having a brother named Huey Lee, but I don't remember all of their names. I do know for certain that her father's name is George Robert as I have found him in census records, sometimes as George, sometimes as Robert. Vaughn is a common name though, and perhaps there is a connection if we dig far enough, but I'm afraid I haven't been able to dig farther than George and Mary (Leonard) Vaughn. Thanks for the possiblities and I won't disregard them just yet. Toni

Re: Vaughn in Mississippi

Jaquio (View posts)
Posted: 13 Feb 2002 8:56PM GMT
Surnames: VAUGHN
Hi Melanie,

I am a VAUGHN descendant of the VAUGHNs of Lowndes and Monroe Counties in MS.. I am African American, but have info in the "White" VAUGHNs as well. My ggg grandfather was a Slave of James VAUGHN, born on his farm in Pickens, Co. AL., in 1840. His name was Green, but James VAUGHN died in 1843 and Green went to Lowndes Co. MS, with James's son John VAUGHN. If you are a VAUGHN and your folks are from Lowndes County MS, then you are more than likely a descendant of James VAUGHN as all the VAUGHNS in that area are.

Hope to hear from you soon,

Jaqui
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions