Search for content in message boards

1826 Tithe for Tubbrid Parish, townland Ganane

1826 Tithe for Tubbrid Parish, townland Ganane

Posted: 22 Apr 2010 8:22PM GMT
Classification: Query
On page 18 of the 1826 Tithe Applotment Book for the Parish of Tubbrid there's a townland called 'Ganane'. I've been looking for this townland in the Griffiths Valuation but haven't found it, does anyone know what happened to it, was it misspelt in the Tithe records and corrected in the Griffiths to something else, any assistance would be greatly appreciated.
Regards Peter Dowling

Re: 1826 Tithe for Tubbrid Parish, townland Ganane

Posted: 23 Apr 2010 11:02PM GMT
I recently read a pracey on the tithe Aplotment books and it said a lot of names were misspelt with variation with in the doc as well. one of the Irish specific websites has a list of parishes and towns with some known variations.
I am interested in how do I get to look at these documents. I have seen the Co tip on line but not the other Counties.
Della

Posted: 26 Apr 2010 5:22AM GMT
Hi Della, Thank you for replying to my query, I've tried a number of such sites including the Irish Times site, to no avail. Re the Tithe records, we order them through our local Genealogical Society, also some libraries are certified by LDS to stock them, on a pay for view basis. I'm not sure if all Counties are available. Best Wishes Peter DOwling.

Posted: 26 Apr 2010 8:42PM GMT
Could be Knockane.

Posted: 27 Apr 2010 12:09AM GMT
Hi Mick,
Thanks for your reply, I don't know! In the 1840s most of our Dooling, Doolan (Dowling)family lived around the townlands of Tubbrid and Ballyhohan in the Civil Parish of Tubbrid. Other branches of the family lived at Kilcarroon near Ballyporeen. The townland above Ballyhohan on Sheet 81 of the Ordnance Survey is Ballygarrane, which I thought might be a possibility for Ganane. I'm using the Sheet 81, six inch to the mile, as surveyed in 1840 as this is the oldest Sheet I'm aware of. At the time of the the first Griffiths Valuation there were no Doolings regardless of spelling recorded for Ballygarrane which is why I sought the advice of the Message Board in the hope someone, like yourself, may know what happened to the townland of Ganane.
Again thank you for you rely I'll have a look at the Griffiths for Knockane. Regards Peter Dowling

Posted: 19 Apr 2011 3:53AM GMT
Edited: 19 Apr 2011 4:21AM GMT
Surnames: Dooling, Dowling, Doolan, Doolin, Dowlan and Dowlin. To a lesser extend Dooley and Dooly
My 2nd great grandfather Michael Dooling is from Newcastle, Tipperary, at least that what his headstone says. (b: 19 Oct 1837), immigrated to America in 1855. I can't find anything on him, parents or siblings. (Surname changed from Dowling to Dooling in the U.S., but some time after immigration as opposed to during) - So many variations, but no luck.

Posted: 19 Apr 2011 8:42AM GMT
I saw your message about you 2nd great grandfather Michael Dooling and thought I'd offer the following that may be of help to you. If your Michael Dowling was in fact of Irish descent from the Newcastle area then his real surname in Celtic would have been spelt Dubhlainn prior to about 1800 when it stated to be Anglicised as Doolin, Dooling, Dooley, Dooly, and as the English name Dowling. Dubhlainn is pronounced: "Doo lane" which to the ear of Census takers and those recording passengers names etc was easily misheard as Dooling or Dowling etc, remembering that many of our forebears were not able to read or write they would not have known their name was incorrectly recorded in Baptismal, Marriage, Census or passenger records.

If you have Michael's death certificate it may have his parents names on it, which would help when searching in Ireland. If you haven't already done so try having a look at the internet site: http://www.askaboutireland.ie/griffith-valuation/index.xml Try the various spellings of the surname Dowling, don't worry about his first name, click on the County field and select Southern Tipperary and Click on Parish and select Newcastle, then click on search. You should find a number of Dowling, Dooling's etc in Newcastle in 1850 the time of the Griffith Valuation, hopefully your 2nd great grandfather or his father will be among them. I hope this helps
Regards
Peter Dowling

Posted: 20 Apr 2011 12:30PM GMT
Hello,

I'm not sure if the Kilcarroon Doolings are related to the Newcastle ones but I have Kilcarron Dooling cousins related to my White/Barry family from Kilcarroon. This family also married into the Dempsey/Smith family of Newcastle/Clogheen.

I am related to the family of Bridget Quirk/John Dooling who settled in Worcester, MA in the early 1850's. I have a few Dooling related obituaries, my great grandfather William Barry and his nephew John Williams were pallbearers for Bridget Dooling Burns as was David Caplice(Clogheen/Ballyporeen). My late 98 year old aunt told me they were cousins.

There was also a Catherine Dooling Carney, when she died a Barry niece married Tom Carney(his parents were from Cashel).Catherine's daughter Mary Carney was waked from my gg aunt's home Catherine Smith Glasgow, she was born in Tubbrid. There is also a brother in Worcester, John Dooling.

I have baptisms for some of the Doolings and there are Doolings on my White/Barry records. My Dad's family the O'Briens from Kileaton(next to Kilcarroon) also has Doolings on their records I think. All the records are pre 1850.
Records were gotten from Waterford Heritage Centre, others off the IFHF site.

Regards,
Helen

Posted: 20 Apr 2011 10:29PM GMT
Hi Helen,
I'm not sure either if the Kilcarroon Doolings are related to the Newcastle Dooling's I've not been able to prove a connection so far, however they are related to the Tubbrid Doolings, who are my direct family line. I'd love to see your research and share our research into these families with you. Please feel free to email me at: dowling.peterj@gmail.com
I look forward to hearing from you.
Regards Peter Dowling

Posted: 20 Apr 2011 10:57PM GMT
Surnames: Hanrahan, Dowling, Tynan, Byrne
Peter,
Wondering if you had any ideas about this family for me?
I am now looking at Hanrahan,Tynan,Byrne and Dowling families from Urlingford Kilkenny. I think this is hard against the tipperary boarder?
I have a John Dowling b abt 1785 married Mary Byrne
Some of their children b St.John some castlecomer. Their Grand daughter Catherine "Doolan" b)abt 1842 married her childhood sweatheart Michael Hanrahan (b Island Urlingford) in Australia after both families immigrated.
Could these Dowling's be connected with Tipperary Dowlings?
Or any way of getting any further back?
per page

Find a board about a specific topic