Search for content in message boards

Buernicz, Mahren??

Buernicz, Mahren??

Martha Berryman (View posts)
Posted: 10 Jul 2006 1:18AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Orlicek, Svestka
I am trying to track down two families of Moravian descent, Orlicek and Svestka. In the passenger list records for the Orlicek family, it stated that the birthplace was Buernicz in Mahren. I have done search after search for this Buernicz locale and have come up empty handed. Any ideas what this might be?? The time period for this record was 1909.

Thanks for any ideas or suggestions.
Martha

Re: Buernicz, Mahren??

Posted: 10 Jul 2006 4:56AM GMT
Edited: 13 Nov 2006 3:35PM GMT
Martha

From what sort of paper are you getting this spelling? It does seem correct.

Posted: 10 Jul 2006 3:11PM GMT
Surnames: Orlicek, Svestka, Sokora
It is coming directly from the Passenger List Record so it most likely is correct. I just am unable to place it on a map for the time period or any other time period for that matter. That makes it a little difficult to find records. Could the name of the town be in Polish and I just need to find the germanic spelling for it? Who knows. Thanks for your help!

Posted: 10 Jul 2006 3:15PM GMT
Martha

Can I see the manifest? As you might know, Europeans do write few letters differently than Americans. I can not locate the village without a proper spelling.

Posted: 10 Jul 2006 5:29PM GMT
Surnames: Orlicek, Svestka, Sokora
Not a problem. I've attached the manifest. The entry we're interested in is for an Emilie Orlicek age 10. The Buernicz reference seems to be one that is carried down from above with ditto marks. It's a pretty easy document to read compared to others. Let me know if you any difficulty. Thank you for your help.

Martha
Attachments:

Posted: 10 Jul 2006 5:42PM GMT
Martha

ORLICEK Emilie, I see a town named Bohuslavice, left a grandfather Karel Svastka in Bohuslavice.
The town above is Kyjov and few more lines up is Bukovany.

Re: ORLICEK, SVESTKA

Posted: 10 Jul 2006 6:01PM GMT
Martha

Our ancestors traveled with people they knew either from the same village or from a neighboring one.
I find it interesting that Bohuslavice, Nechvalin and Bukovany are right next to each other and North of Kyjov.
http://mapy.atlas.cz This would be the Jihomoravsky obvod in area of town of Hodonin.
Surname SVESTKA, ORLICEK, SEKORA and SIKORA but no Sokora list in Jihomoravsky obvod of the phone book. http://phone.quick.cz

Posted: 10 Jul 2006 11:15PM GMT
This certainly cleared up quite a bit. Thank you for taking the time to help me out with this query. I am very appreciative!

Martha

Posted: 10 Jul 2006 11:21PM GMT

James Brockway (View posts)
Posted: 30 Jul 2006 8:02PM GMT
Martha,

I'm almost certain the Emily in the manifest is my grandmother's sister who was born in 1899 and would have been 10 at the time of the manifest, which is her age on the document. How do you fit into the Orlicek/Svestka line? Would love to exchange notes.

per page

Find a board about a specific topic