Search for content in message boards

Multiple Relationships - 30th GGrandmother vs 2nd cousin 25x removed.

Multiple Relationships - 30th GGrandmother vs 2nd cousin 25x removed.

Posted: 15 Dec 2011 8:16AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Moray / Software question
Question: is it possible in FTM2012 to adjust the relationship displayed in the upper right corner? I have several ancestors who have multiple relationships to me, but FTM chooses “Half 2nd cousin 25x removed” over “30th Great Grandmother.”

I can see all six “relationships” in the relationship calculator – but can’t see any way to change what is displayed on the main screen.

The second part of this is: when FTM selects an obscure relationship to use in the screen display- it changes the yellow “direct ancestor” arrow to a blue arrow down in the children section.

The precise example I have: Fonia Moray (1145-1187) is my 30th GGmother. She is also my half-2nd cousin 25x removed. Beside her painting and under her name – it shows the cousin relationship not the grandmother relationship.

I attached a screen shot in case I'm not being clear.
Attachments:

Re: Multiple Relationships - 30th GGrandmother vs 2nd cousin 25x removed.

Posted: 28 Nov 2012 10:55AM GMT
Has anyone found a solution to this problem? I'm having the same issue. I can go into the "relationship calculator" and change the relationship from a distant cousin to a great-grandmother, but when I select "done," nothing changes--the direct-line ancestor still appears as a distant cousin.

Posted: 28 Nov 2012 11:30AM GMT
This is a known bug. Please report it and complain. The more that complain, the more likely they may fix this:

http://ancestry.qualtrics.com/SE/?SID=SV_er4cyPjj5BJKIZf

Posted: 28 Nov 2012 4:44PM GMT
I second that. The problem is even worse because the ancestors of that grandparent who shows up as a cousin will become parents/grandparents of the spouse of ___ cousin and just gets worse and worse as you add ancestors, that is if you remember that they are your ancestors and work on them instead of going by the relationship in the corner and thinking they are just cousins and skip them. Another issue, is that the software becomes less responsive when trying to enter information on those ancestors. How sluggish seems to be related to their relationship designation and the size of your file, but with a really large file some can be so sluggish it becomes too time consuming waiting for the software to catch up every time you try to add details to that person.

Even if you haven't personally encountered this problem yet, it would be helpful for you to also report this issue so that they will fix it before it does start happening to you too.

Posted: 28 Nov 2012 8:08PM GMT
Yup, please report and complain.

Posted: 29 Nov 2012 4:39AM GMT
Yes, exactly, Jeff! All the "grandparent of the wife of the 6th cousin" relationships instead of "12th-great-grandparent" is completely confusing, and as you said, it makes it easy to skip over direct-line relatives in future research.

Thanks everyone for the responses--at least I know that I'm not going crazy :-)

I reported the issue. Hopefully if enough people mention it, they'll pay some attention. Fingers crossed!

Thanks again for the advice! I really appreciate it.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions