Search for content in message boards

California Railroad Employment Records

California Railroad Employment Records

Posted: 23 Nov 2012 5:23PM GMT
Classification: Query
Help with handwriting:
Does anybody have thoughts on this surname and occupation? I am interpreting the initials as H.G. but really have no idea what the first letter of the surname is supposed to be - it doesn't look like a P but so far the only name I've been able to come up with is Porter.
The occupation is foxing me too: MehAppn ?
Sorry, I'm a bit new to hand-writing - but I like a challenge!
Attachments:

Re: California Railroad Employment Records

Posted: 23 Nov 2012 6:40PM GMT
From what I see, I agree with H G Porter but would like to see handwriting on the entire page. Occupation is Meh Appr or Mch Appr - would zoom to get a closer look to determine if it is a "c" or "e".

Posted: 23 Nov 2012 6:58PM GMT
I agree, it must be Mch Appr - the writer's pen is a bit splodgy!
If the mystery letter is P for Porter then the entry directly underneath must have the initials F.P. I attach a bigger section of the page so you can see some more of the writing.
Thanks for your help!
Attachments:

Posted: 23 Nov 2012 7:10PM GMT
Edited: 23 Nov 2012 7:19PM GMT
You're welcome and from what I see on the bigger section, I would def go with a P. Also, just as an extra help, I've done this when I'm really stuck with a few letters in the handwriting - try searching for the name as either you think it is (such as "H P Porter" or even "H P *orter") in an exact search for Lived In "USA" then State "California". After the results are shown, look down a bit under "Schools, Directories & Church Histories" for "California, Railroad Employment Records, 1862-1937" and see if you can find a plausible match there - it has helped me more than one time!

Posted: 23 Nov 2012 7:19PM GMT
Good idea - I'll keep Google open!

Posted: 23 Nov 2012 7:22PM GMT
Google is good too but I was referring to doing a search on Ancestry.com

Posted: 24 Nov 2012 7:12PM GMT
Hey Donia,
Thanks for your tip about doing an Ancestry search to help with interpreting handwriting - it can be a bit long-winded but I've managed to find quite a number of the names on my current image set in other railroad records that are already searchable on Ancestry. I'm still going by the principle of "if in doubt, key what you see" but the searches can be a help when I cannot make out, say, the occupation and find it on a different record. For instance, I could not read what turned out to Blksm, a clue I got from a different record for the same guy that spelled out the occupation in full.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic