Search for content in message boards

Woyen, Brunes,Tollefdatter, Petersen,

Woyen, Brunes,Tollefdatter, Petersen,

Posted: 16 Jun 2012 5:37PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Woyen, Tollefdatter, Petersen, Hansen, Brunes, Nielsen
I am searching for information on the following ancestors:
Haagina Tollefdatter born Aug. 10, 1841 Hanivold, Asker Parish, Akershus and died in the Asker area, Ponoka County, Alberta Canada on Oct 5, 1926.
Her parents were Tollef Hansen ( born July 23, 1798) and Anne Marie Oldsdatter (born July 14, 1805)
Haagina had a son (my great grandfather) with Niels Olsen Brunes on Aug. 17, 1867 and he was baptized Alexander Neilsen Brunes on Aug 23, 1867 at Trefoldighed, Oslo, Askerhus. He was known to his family in North Dakota and Canada as Alexander Woyen (he was married as Alexander Woyen as well)
Haagina was married to Peter Hansen on Aug 23, 1872 Asker Parish, Akershus. Peter was born May 13, 1837, Voyen, Asker Parish. Peter and Haagina had the following children: Tollef Petersen Woyen (born 1878 at Voien Farm Akershus, Olaf, Hans Petersen Woyen Hansen (born 1876 at Voien Farm Akershus) and Olga. Olga was married to Christian Thorstad in North Dakota. Tollef, Olaf and Hans never married.
Alexander came to North Dakota, USA in the late 1880's and was married to Eleanora Hansen in Ellendale, Dickey County, North Dakota in 1892. Alex, it is said, came to North Dakota to work for Andrew Vold, also from the Akershus area.
It is believed Haagina came to North Dakota with Tollef, Olaf, Hans and Olga after her husband, Peter Hansen, died. Alex and his own family, his mother and all his half siblings came to Alberta Canada to homestead in 1896.
If anyone has any information on these families I would be very happy to hear from them.
Betty Manning
Alberta Canada

Re: Woyen, Brunes,Tollefdatter, Petersen,

Posted: 17 Jun 2012 11:35AM GMT
What information are you looking for?

You seem to already have the information for the beginning of ancestor research. Date, event, location and even parent names to start ... and the parish records and Norwegian censuses are available online... you don't appear to need much assistance with that.

Your posting can also be read as a query to find information AFTER emigration and possibly to collect information on descendants and perhaps living relatives of these persons.

Posted: 17 Jun 2012 3:06PM GMT
I am particularly interested in finding information on Niels Olsen Brunes. I have had no "luck" in finding information on him. After many inquiries I was told that Haagina was a maid in a royal palace and Niels worked in the royal stables, (Alex was born out of wedlock) - of course I have no way of knowing if this is true or just a story. I had Y-DNA (to the 67th marker) tested on Alex's (ggrandfather) only living grandson and there has been over
one hundred 12 marker results, which mean nothing. I remain hopeful.
I am also interested in finding any living relatives in Norway of Haagine, and Peter Hansen. In the last month I have found a great granddaughter of one of Haagine's brothers in California and if times work out, I will meet her this July in California.
Thank you for your reply.

Posted: 17 Jun 2012 3:35PM GMT
Edited: 17 Jun 2012 3:41PM GMT
Hi

Here is Aleksander and his family in the 1875 census:
http://digitalarkivet.no/cgi-win/webcens.exe?slag=visbase&am...

A candidate for Niels Olsen Brunes found in the 1865 census:
http://digitalarkivet.no/cgi-win/WebCens.exe?slag=visbase&am...

Vivi

Posted: 17 Jun 2012 3:55PM GMT
Hi

The Niels Brunæs I found was born April 4, 1843 and baptized May 21, 1843 in Heggen church in Modum, Buskerud county. His parents were Ole Olsen and Marie Madsdatter. They lived at the Brunes farm:
No 52:
http://www.arkivverket.no/URN:kb_read?idx_kildeid=1106&i...
http://www.arkivverket.no/URN:NBN:no-a1450-kb20051114020488....

The parents of Niels in the 1865 census with a son:
http://digitalarkivet.arkivverket.no/ft/person/pf01038090004...

Vivi

Posted: 18 Jun 2012 2:04PM GMT
Thank you so much for finding these for me. I appreciate your help.

Posted: 21 Jul 2012 7:11PM GMT
Hi Betty, Just today 21 July 2012 found your Post on Message Board written 16 June 2012 with Alexander WOYEN.
We are 1 cousin 2 removed in-law relationship to each other. My name is Willie E. HAMBLY (widow of Jim HAMBLY, your 1c2r)
Have tried to find your address and phone number, my address book of 1973 has you living in etc., etc.(won't list it here)and still I don't know how to reach you. PLEASE E-mail me at sparky13@telus.net.
Alexander WOYEN's son, Hans Wilhelm "Bill" WOYEN - Jim had interviewed in the 1970's at Edmonton, Alberta. Uncle "Bill" told Jim that He had always written the NEILSON's in Norway. We have often wondered "if" they are
Alexander's blood line. Uncle "Bill" said that the blood father spelling is Neils OLSEN (BRINCH).
Jim had a copy of Alexander's christening (you have baptized
23 Aug 1867 as Alexander Neilsen Brunes at Trefoldighed, Oslo, Askershus, Norway). PLEASE both of us to find a copy of Alexander's chr./bapt. record and share. Jim's papers have Alexander's christened 27 Oct 1867, same place as you have. As you probably know for the time period in Norway and their law was for the woman had to name the father of the baby. The state and church were one and they then went after the father to help support the baby. Another law had that the woman weather or not was married was considered unclean and not premitted to attend the baby's chr./bapt. Jim's research found Alexander's blood Father is holding him, with Godparents and witnesses. The naming of a son was to take the Father's given first name and add "sen" to it for the surname of the baby. Thus Alexander NEILSEN. You probably already know all this. Another surname was added from the farm name thus Alexander's Step-father, Peter HANSEN who owned the VOIEN farm. When Alexander came to America (United States) on a ship (the Ship Passenger List from Norway to America) has the spelling of the farm name of VOIEN to WOYEN spelling. Also this Ship Passenger List has Alexander's Uncle's name that He was traveling with, think it was Hans TOLLEFSEN (Alexander's Mother's brother, a retired Ship Captain (if I remember correctly). The 1875 Census in Norway states (in my words) that our Alexander is NOT the son of the Head of the household, Peter HANSEN. There is a lot more that Jim had to research and document because He wanted to know and because the goverment of Alberta, Canada did NOT have a death certificate for Alexander WOYEN. Even tho Alex's living children were at His bedside when He died, His death had not been reported so Jim had to prove that Alex had lived and died with documentation taken to the goverment. Then we thought that they would give us a free copy..No...we had to pay for a death certificate. from Willie E. HAMBLY
per page

Find a board about a specific topic