Search for content in message boards

Finding orphaned records

Finding orphaned records

Posted: 15 Dec 2011 6:22AM GMT
Classification: Query
Over the course of building my tree I have deleted people and relationships that have resulted in many people not being "connected" in my tree. I was looking for a "find orphaned people" type of function in Family Tree Maker and the online Ancestry.com software but don't see anything that would facilitate that. I currently have 2500 people in my tree and I'm sure several hundred should be removed. Obviously going through one at a time will be painfully time consuming.

Any ideas?

Re: Finding orphaned records

Posted: 23 Apr 2012 9:03AM GMT
You will need to create an export ged file and use another software like GenSmarts.. it would be nice if FTM had that capability... it did in the older versions.. it sucks that they would lose functionality in the new versions!

Posted: 23 Apr 2012 10:52AM GMT
Craig

You have a fairly small file so you should be able do to this.

Create a copy of your file and open the copy. Create an Extended Family Chart based on yourself or someone you want to keep in the file. Make sure the option to include all individuals is not selected. Right click somewhere on the chart and you will see a number of options, one of which is Delete from file. Select the All persons in chart option. The only people left in the copy of the file will be the unconnected ones. You can then decide if they should be deleted from your file or if they should be reconnected to someone in your file.

Curt

Posted: 23 Apr 2012 1:05PM GMT
I agree with that approach with one small variation. Consider right-clicking "export" (rather than delete) the "main" tree in the chart? The new export would then be your new "clean" file.

BTW, an old gedcom utility called GedSplit used to slice and dice Gedcoms, but that comes with the disadvantages of working with Gedcoms - ie not all of FTM's data may survive export and re-import in the form you'd like (or even may be deleted) - like custom facts, saved reports, defaults selected at Options, etc.

Posted: 23 Apr 2012 3:40PM GMT
Silverfox

Exporting the people in the chart will create a clean file but does not identify the unconnected people. You would still have to delete the people in the chart to see who was left behind so you can review them to see if some of them belong in the chart.

Curt

Posted: 25 Apr 2012 1:38AM GMT
Does choosing Data Errors Report under publishing and selecting [Person is unattached] meet the need?

Posted: 25 Apr 2012 11:22AM GMT
The [Person is unattached] date error report will show all individuals not attached to anyone in the file. I have two small islands in my file that are not attached to the rest of my file. The data error report did not find them. Using the Extended Family Chart as I and Silverfox described will allow you do find small groups of people not attached to the rest of the file. You can then decide what to do with them.

Curt

Posted: 25 Apr 2012 4:21PM GMT
There is a 3rd party program called GenViewer that will give you a report of orphaned people and also islands of people. You have to export to Gedcom, but it is reasonably accurate.

Steve

Posted: 25 Apr 2012 5:32PM GMT
If you one have one family in your tree then there are ways to do this. PAF will allow you to select people who are unrelated to the main person in your tree. Then you can print a list of just those people.

Roots Magic, not sure about the free version, has a 'Count Trees' option that will count the number of trees in your file and says how many people are in that tree. Not sure if you can print who are in those trees easily though.

I've always wondered why FTM doesn't have the ability to do this. You would think that this a problem and I've seen people ask about it before.

Posted: 4 May 2012 6:37PM GMT
I was able to use GED file software, The Complete Geneology Reporter, to create a report that lists unconnected people (relative to the primary person). It lists unconnected individuals and unconnected sections (islands).

Then, referencing the report I could manually delete the people from my ancestry.com tree. A handy feature in Ancestry.com is "View Relationship to me". I check there to make sure there isn't a relationship before I delete.

I also used the family view of an unconnected section to prune the sub-tree.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic