Search for content in message boards

Hughes Family in Arkansas

Hughes Family in Arkansas

Jan Hughes (View posts)
Posted: 1 Sep 2004 5:59PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Hughes, Powell
If anyone has any information on the Hughes family I would appreciate hearing from you. I am looking for information on Jesse Hughes, James Miles Hughes, John Hughes, and George P. Hughes

Re: Hughes Family in Arkansas

Posted: 13 Aug 2007 8:51PM GMT
Surnames: Hughs, Hughes, Pond, Beckham
Hi Jan,
We are also looking for a Jesse Hughs (or Hughes). We find our Jesse in Hot Spring County, Arkansas in 1850. Census says he was 27 years old (b. 1813) and born in NC. (We have some information that makes us think he may have been born in Alabama.) In 1850 he was living with his wife Mary Ann and children Columbus F., William B., Susan (Elizabeth) who was our ancestor, Isham J.,and Joseph. In 1860 Mary Ann is a widow and she has two more sons; E.M. and Sam H. We would love to know the parents of Jesse Hughs and Mary Ann _______. Thanks for any info. Betty Smithson.

Re: Hughes Family in Arkansas

Posted: 16 Aug 2007 12:46AM GMT
Surnames: Hughs, Hughes, Powell
Hi Betty,
I hope that I can help you, although, my information may just confuse you more. The Problem that we run into here is that our Jesse Hughs was in Jefferson Co., AL in 1850. Here is what I have one him that is definitely true:
Jesse Hughes b 1811 m Mary C. Powell b1818 about 1834
Children:
Aria E. Hughes b 1837-38
Christopher C. Hughes b 1859-60
Mary Hughes b 1849-50
Nancy L. Hughes b 1855-56
James Miles Hughes b August 25, 1839
William M. Hughes b 1842
Rhoda Hughes b 1844
George P. Hughes b 1846
Rebecca Hughes b 1848
John Hughes b Sept. 1850, d 1946 in Brazoria Co., Texas

It is my understanding that some of this family did move to Arkansas. There was a Columbus among his descendants. I think Columbus was the son of one of the sons. There is much speculation that Jesse was the unknown son of William H. Hughes who was the son of George Hughes and Rhoda Garrett, however, just yesterday I found information in a book called AL records about Aaron Hughs and his wife Sarah. The record stated Araon Hughes to Jesse and Geo. Hughs. I took that to mean he gave, willed, or sold land to these two who are believed to be brothers. Aaron was the son of George and Rhoda, also. If you want to write to me at jhsgran@aol.com you may.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions