Search for content in message boards

Ananias Jackson from Madison and Bridgeport Alabama

Ananias Jackson from Madison and Bridgeport Alabama

Posted: 16 Sep 2011 4:45PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Jackson, Hughes, Gross
I am trying to find the names of Ananias Jackson's Mother and father. He was a slave of James Clemens. James Clemens was one of the founding fathers of Madison, Alabama and the father of Jeremiah Clement, a United States Senator in the 1860's. Ananias was a United States Colored troop in the civil war with the Tennessee 17th Regiment. He was the father of Ananias Jr., William, Wilson, Marie, Mary Jackson Hughes,Rebecca Jackson Gross and Peter Jackson. I will appreciate any help in finding the names of my ancestors.

Re: Ananias Jackson from Madison and Bridgeport Alabama

Posted: 14 Nov 2011 1:19PM GMT
Hello Ann,
I think you may have filled in an important missing piece of my family puzzle. The Ananias Jackson I've been researching mothers name was Sherman Ashley, father's name Henry Jackson. In Escambia co. Ala. I've been unable to determine the location of Sherman prior to 1900 census,or any of her 18 children. Ananias from my family first appears in the 1910 census, Escambia, pine grove, Ala, however he's listed under his mother Sherman Ashley. His death notice list him as Jackson, with both parent mentioned above.
Ruby

Posted: 15 Nov 2011 10:18PM GMT
Surnames: Jackson, Hughes, Bradford, Remshaw
My Great-grandfather, Ananias Jackson was born a slave in Madison, Alabama in December 1845. He joined the Civil War at the age of 17. He died in 1918. His pension records only mentioned his two children by his second wife, Eliza Remshaw. Their names were Rebecca and Peter Jackson. It also named his slave master as James Clements. He married Laura Bradford (died 1896), my Great-grandmother in 1865. They had five children surviving children. Ananias Jr.,William, Wilson, Mary(my granmother) and Marie. The census shows Wilson living in Stonewall Fayette, Alabama in
1920. I hope this will shed further light.

Posted: 16 Nov 2011 10:21AM GMT
Thank you so much for the reply and information. I will now check the census for Bridgeport, and Madison which I had not considered before. It has been mentioned by relatives that Shermans real name may have been "Eliza", but no one seems to know for sure. Nicknames were commonly used back then. It was also common to name children after close relations of the family, and Ananias is not a common name. Again my thanks.
Ruby

Posted: 18 Nov 2011 6:06PM GMT
Do you have the death notice on your Ananias Jackson? If so I would like very much to see it.
Thank you,
ANN

Posted: 18 Nov 2011 9:36PM GMT
Annie,

I do not have an actual death certificate, however; I found the death notice which indicates he died 1965,Mobile, Alabama.
His wife was Bawina Jackson, Father listed as Henry Jackson, mother Sherman Achly(Ashley). My email: rrekava@gmail.com, I
would be happy to email a copy of this notice. Keep in mind that back then family members often shared the burden of providing housing for other family members, and the census often listed them as sons or daughters, but the death notice actually lists the parents if known....
Ruby

Posted: 19 Nov 2011 6:54PM GMT
Maybe this is anoher lineage of Ananias Jackson than what I am seeking. Ananias, my great-grandfather died in 1918. He had a son, Ananias Jr., but his mother's name would be Laura and she died in 1896. Maybe some how we can make a connection to the Escambia group.
Thanks for your help,
Annie Thomas

Posted: 20 Nov 2011 7:30PM GMT
Hi Ann,
May I ask how you came about associating Ananias from the 1930 census for Escambia co. as a possible connection/association to your Ananias?

Ruby

Posted: 20 Nov 2011 11:11PM GMT
I NEVER SAID HE WAS A POSSIBLE SOURCE. THE CENSUS OF 1930 SHOWS ANANIAS JR. AS A RESIDENT IS ESCAMBIA, ALA. ANANIAS JR. DIED IN 1965. I DON'T KNOW IF THIS IS YOUR LINK OR NOT, BUT HIS PARENTS WERE ANANIAS JACKSON SR. AND LAURA BRADFORD JACKSON. I AM SEARCHING FOR THE NAMES OF THE PARENTS OF ANANIAS JACKSON SR., MY GREAT GRANDFATHER. SHERMAN WAS NOT THE NAME OF MY GREAT-GRANDMOTHER. AS I RECORDED, HER NAME WAS LAURA BRADFORD JACKSON. THAT IS WHY I WONDER IF WE ARE SEARCHING THE SAME LINEAGE. ANANIAS JACKSON JR. DID LIVE IN ESCAMBIA, ALA. I HOPE WE ARE ON THE SAME PAGE BECAUSE MY GRANDMOTHER SO DESPERATELY WANTED TO FIND HER BROTHERS BEFORE SHE PASSED IN 1941, BUT SHE NEVER FOUND THEM.
ANNIE THOMAS
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions