Search for content in message boards

Boston, Missing Irish Immigrants - Self

Boston, Missing Irish Immigrants - Self

Posted: 16 Nov 2012 3:06PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 16 Nov 2012 3:11PM GMT
I would like opinions of who would be keyed as "Self" in the attached ad besides Mrs. Ann Tynan. If I understand the current directions, James and Thomas would be also, especially since their names are capitalized but what about their sister Mary Ann (not capitalized) since she is clearly considered missing by her brother Michael also? Are we to key only the names capitalized as self?
Attachments:

Re: Boston, Missing Irish Immigrants - Self

Posted: 16 Nov 2012 3:49PM GMT
I would key the sister as self too.

Posted: 16 Nov 2012 4:08PM GMT
Edited: 16 Nov 2012 4:55PM GMT
So, if I understand you correctly, anyone who clearly is missing in an ad, regardless of how many and regardless of whether their name is capitalized or not, would be keyed as "Self" (thus dropping the relationship between the missing) and anyone else mentioned in the ad, such as the father, mother, siblings, spouse or children who is not missing, would be keyed under them with the proper relationship. I think people keying this project are having trouble dropping the relationship of the missing but I'm thinking that after the project is finished, anyone searching for any individual listed would find the ad and be able to read the relationship between them all.

On another note, such as the ad attached, the only person who is not missing is Michael. Because of the phrasing of the ad, I think Michael is a son of Ann and brother to the others. I would think Michael would be keyed only once, but where would you key him (under Ann as "Son" or under Mary Ann as "Brother")?

Posted: 16 Nov 2012 5:51PM GMT
I would show as brother, since that is the relationship shown in the ad.

Karen

Posted: 16 Nov 2012 9:01PM GMT
That is my thinking also but I wanted to get your opinion - thanks Karen!
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions