Search for content in message boards

Need information on Dallas Cemetery in Saline County, IL

Need information on Dallas Cemetery in Saline County, IL

Posted: 23 Mar 2013 5:13PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 23 Mar 2013 5:13PM GMT
Hello,
I am researching the Dallas family and and trying to find the location of the Dallas cemetery in Saline County, IL. It is located in Carrier Mills township. I would like directions to this cemetery coming from Galatia. I would also like to correspond with any researcher of the Dallas family in Saline County.

Re: Need information on Dallas Cemetery in Saline County, IL

Posted: 24 Mar 2013 1:49PM GMT
The Saline County Genweb site states that Dallas Cemetery is also known as Brothers Family Cemetery, located in Carrier Mills Township, Section 29, SE 1/4 NW 1/4. Two ways you should be able to get more specific directions are:

1. Go to the URL below. This map is for sale, but if you click on the + you can enlarge the township map and see where Section 29 is located (upper left of township). It shows one road running through it, Haulage Road http://www.historicmapworks.com/Map/US/296018/Map+Image+004/...

2. There are two interments listed in Brothers Family Cemetery on Find-a-Grave. There is also a photograph of the cemetery sign. There is not a map, but if you email the person who uploaded the cemetery sign photograph, he should be able to give you detailed instructions on how to get there. The photograph credit is for David Wrzesinski - Smith. Click on his name to send an email to him.

I hope you find it.

Posted: 24 Mar 2013 4:56PM GMT
Surnames: DALLAS
Thank you for your reply and the info about the cemetery.

Posted: 25 Mar 2013 7:32PM GMT
John Murphy's notes on Brothers cemetery stated that there only a few stones present and none readable. Three known burials Nancy BROTHERS, Minie BROTHERS, and Annie BROTHERS and based on another person's recolection John BROTHERS, Steven BROTHERS and Thomas BROTHERS. -- from 1982 and a conversation with a Opal Brothers Ferrell, she told him that these were the children of William and Sovary Lucretia "Missy" DALLAS BROTHERS. She was the daughter of Ben DALLAS, grand daughter of Morgan DALLAS.

Posted: 26 Mar 2013 1:26PM GMT
Darrell,
Thank you for list of burials. Why would it have been called Dallas Cemetery when it appears that only members of the Brothers family were buried there?

Posted: 26 Mar 2013 2:24PM GMT
I have no idea. But have you looked at the Providence Cumberland Presbyterian Church Cemetery, there are a lot of DALLAS family buried there.

Posted: 26 Mar 2013 4:23PM GMT
One reason could be that there are Dallas family members buried there, but their stones do not survive. It sometimes happens with older, more remote cemeteries, if a particular family name on the stones becomes predominant, or the sole name found, references to the cemetery change. It would be interesting to find out when the shift happened.

Posted: 26 Mar 2013 5:54PM GMT
Darrell,
Thanks for the info about Providence Cumberland Presbyterian Church Cemetery. I will check out that cemetery when I go to Saline County in May.

Bill

Posted: 26 Mar 2013 5:57PM GMT
Edited: 26 Mar 2013 5:58PM GMT
Thank you for your reply. I agree with you about the reason for cemetery names being changed over time. I will look into this when I visit Saline County later this Spring.

Posted: 26 Mar 2013 6:01PM GMT
Bill.

Providence is shown on Google maps so should not be difficult to find. Just North and West of Carrier Mills.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions