Search for content in message boards

O'Neill Family Daviess County

O'Neill Family Daviess County

Posted: 19 Mar 2000 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 27 Feb 2002 11:35AM GMT
Surnames: O'Neill, Fitzgerald, Morratte
I am looking for informarion on Athanasus O'Neill b 2/23/1847 and married to Margaret Mary Morratte b 5/4/1849. His father was James Bartholomew O'Neill who married Anna Fitzgerald. Cannot get the family to In but do believe they came to this country directly from Ireland and not through Canada. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Have neen researching this line for 7 years and nothing. Thanks, diane

Re: O'Neill Family Daviess County

Posted: 28 Sep 2002 11:50PM GMT
Edited: 8 Jun 2003 6:12PM GMT
My g-grandfather was Cornelius O'Neill. He came from County Cork, Ireland so the story goes. We first find him in the states in 1866 where he married and had his first child in Muhlenberg County. I wonder if our families may be related.

Mary (View posts)
Posted: 30 May 2003 2:57AM GMT
I have been trying to find ancestors to my grandfather, James T. O'neill who was married to Martha Tolson and who lived in Daviess County Indiana but have had no luck so far. Do you think there maybe a connection?

Dennis ONeill (View posts)
Posted: 3 Jun 2003 6:11PM GMT
Surnames: ONeill, Fitzgerald, Moratty, Fields, Scott
Dear Mary
I have been following James T. ONeill for a while wondering if he is an uncle or cousin to my(and Diane Kepus(nee McDaniel mentioned above) line of ONeills–James and Athanasius. Below I will post the same information I posted on Geneology.com to postings to Cynthia Frens and Bonnie Pine, who I assume are related to you. I sent email to both of them but the mail bounced back. The main reason I have followed James T. is he lived within
blocks of Athanasius ONeill in Cannelburg, Indiana, probably a coincidence.

As background, my great-great grandfather was James ONeill/ONeall/ONeal, born in Ireland about 1801 and settled in Barr Township, north of Cannelburg, in the early 1840s. His wife Johanna Fitzgerald, and her brother and father–both named John-also settled in Barr township. I know they were from County Wexford, Ireland because John Sr. had it put on his tombstone. I have never been able to determine James ONeill’s birthplace in Ireland.
My great grandfather Athanasius O’Neill lived in Cannelburg where he was a miner and my grandfather James E. lived in Montgomery and Washington Indiana

Anyway, here is what I have in my notes on James T.

1. Dec. 20, 1886 James T. ONeill and Martha J. Tolson were married in Daviess County(name is spelled ONeaill in the index)
2. Feb. 7, 1893, Martha J. O’Neill buys from Mark Kavanaugh for $200 Lot 4, Block ?(difficult to read, possibly C), Town of Cannelburg, Book 3 Real Estate Transactions, page 137, Daviess Co. Courthouse.

Mark Kavanaugh is my great grandfather through my other grandmother. His daughter Bridget married my grandfather James E. O’Neill, Nov. 20, 1894. This doesn’t mean the families are related, but James T. ONeill’s wife buys land from Mark a year and half before Mark’s daughter marries James E. O’Neill. Interesting coincidence. At a minimum, they knew each other.

3. August , 1893, Martha J. O’Neill and husband sell to Maurice Healy for $250, lot 4, Block C in Town of Cannelburg. Book 4, p. 14, Daviess County.
If this is the same lot, it was a nice 25% profit in six months.

4. In the Index to Birth records, Daviess Co., 1882-1920, J.T. ONeill and Martha Tolson have a female born feb. 4, 1900, book H1a, page 1. No name is given in the index. These records are in the County Health Office, just east of the Courthouse in Washington.

5. In 1906, there is a Martha O’Neill in the Parish of St. Peters in Montgomery Indiana(along with my relatives), but James T. is not mentioned. This list is on the Daviess County Indiana website. This may not be your relative since their son George Theodore was born in Terre Haute, IN in 1907 according to Cynthia Fren's posting.

6. I have a copy of the 1910 census index, James O’Neil, age 49 is in the 2nd ward of Terre Haute, roll 385, page 8b. Since Bonnie Pine said James T. later lived in Terre Haute this appears to be the right age.

7. In 1880, Martha J. Tolson is in Washington, Daviess County Indiana, age 10, father is Benjamin Tolson. I don’t seem to have the rest of the family, but I am sure it is on the Latter Day Saints web site as they have an index for 1880 census.

8. I have been through all of the baptism and marriage records of St. Marys in Barr Township. It has been the best way to determine kin. If someone married into the family they were usually next in line to be a baptismal sponsor, and as one reached maturity they usually became a sponsor.

James T. is not in the records, but this is not conclusive as the records end before he became of age. The best proof would be the baptismal, confirmation, and marriage records of St. Peters in Montgomery–where James and Martha were parishioners. But I do not know if these are available or were anywhere.

Please keep in touch if you find more—dennyoneill@att.net

Mary (View posts)
Posted: 30 May 2005 7:53PM GMT
Do you happen to have any information including parents names on a Rosana (Rose Ann) O'Neill also spelled several ways. She was born about 1816 in Kentucky and married Francis Lloyd O'Brien (son of Robert & Anne Delia Riney O'Brian), on January 18, 1835 in Martin County, IN. marriage listed as Loyd O'Brian & Rosy Ann Neel. I have not been able to locate the parents of Rosana. They had children, Mary, William Francis,(my ancestor), Caroline, Rosean. They are living in Martin Co, Perry Tshp in 1850 census. Francis Lloyd died December 16, 1854 in Martin County, IN. Rosana married Thomas Summers in Martin Co.IN Jan 8, 1860. Rosana died Septembe 28, 1862 & possibly had a child Delia E. Summers born 1861.

Dennis ONeill (View posts)
Posted: 3 Jun 2005 12:40AM GMT
Sorry Mary

I have no information on her and know of no link. I have tried to find other earlier ONeill relatives in Martin and Daviess County but no success.

cj (View posts)
Posted: 3 Jun 2005 1:51PM GMT
Have you tried alternate spellings? I do not have the given names but there are O Neall's buried in a small cemetery east of Newberry, which of course is just to the north of Daviess County.

Posted: 19 Apr 2008 11:44PM GMT
I am interested to know what else you have on the O'Neal and Fields families. I am researching Thomas E. Fields, who married Ann O'Neil 22 Oct 1866. I don't have a death date for Ann. I believe she may be the daughter of James O'Neal and Johanna Fitgerald, but would like to know more about these families and share info.

Thanks.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions