Search for content in message boards

forster/nixon/paulin???

forster/nixon/paulin???

Posted: 6 Aug 2011 11:30PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 8 Aug 2011 2:33AM GMT
Surnames: forster, nixon, paulin
hi im a newbie & was hoping to get a few answers from here but cannot at all! :-/ im trying to trace back through my nans side & pathetic as it sounds i have me, my mother, my grandmother & my great grandmother.... that is it! someone explain to me please how the heck this works? ive spoke to my nan & she knows very little as she was told by her mother that her parents had died before she was born? all i have to go by is my great grandmothers name which was isabella nixon paulin (before she was married) BUT the family name she left/dropped was "Forster" all ive found of her (i think) is her birth on this site but it only has mothers name "forster" then nothing else? is that normal? because thats really no help to me! i know she was 1 of around 9-12 children, 1 of her sisters was called Dorothy many of her brothers died in the war, she had 3 daughters herself, Dorothy, rosemary & diane.... this is really all i know? if anyone could help me please get in contact!

thabkyou.

Re: forster/nixon/paulin???

Posted: 8 Aug 2011 1:00AM GMT
Your post is a little confusing. Do you mean to say that your great grandmother's birth name was Isabella Nixon Paulin and that her mother's maiden name was Forster? Also you not mention where your great grandmother born and about what year?

Have you tried to get a copy of the death certificate for you great grandmother? This may be pointless if your grandmother provided the information. since as you mentioned she did not have that information. However, if someone else provided the information it may have the names of her parents on the certificate.

The more info you can provide us, the better we can help you.

Sandra

Posted: 8 Aug 2011 2:37AM GMT
Sandra is right. The fact that you tend to be confused is what is making your search more difficult. Start with yourself and write down your birth info...date and place. Then list your parents: their names (maiden name for mother) and dates and places of birth marriage and death (if applicable). Then write down THEIR parents and the same info: names, dates, locations. The place of birth, marriage and death will help us to help you know what records would be available and where you can get them.

Joan

Posted: 8 Aug 2011 4:59PM GMT
Sandra,

Joan (jmyoung) is correct. Start with what you know, document it and work backwards.

If you're new to genealogy, new to using the Ancestry site, both the tree program and searching the databases, that's a lot of new all at once. It's going to take time. Learning to effectively use the search function on Ancestry.com to find records takes a good deal of practice.

I looked at your public tree on Ancestry.com.

It looks like you have paid access to Ancestry.co.uk research (BMD and census) databases? Is that correct? The BMD are indexes only, you have to order the document (there's a link to hit on the record) to see all the data on the document.

If you're going continue using the Ancestry.com tree program to organize your data, be sure to put in a birth year for every person in your tree. That year doesn't need to be exact, but the system will automatically make people who are still living private to other people looking at your tree, those born after 1915. If you put in a death year, then the profile can be seen by others.

You can read more about tricks other members use with the tree program on the Member Trees board.

======================================================

I had a quick look and found the record transcription for Dorothy Stuart (b 1935) in your tree:

Source: England & Wales, Birth Index: 1916-2005 [Ancestry.co.uk]

Name: Dorothy Stuart
Mother's Maiden Surname: Paulin
Date of Registration: Oct-Nov-Dec 1935
Registration district: Newcastle Upon Tyne
Inferred County: Cumberland
Volume Number: 10b
Page Number: 106

=====================================================

Here are Dorothy's parents' marriage records (indexed transcriptions) are below. This is the document you'll need to order. Try and find the same records I did. This will help you practice the search function.

Source: England & Wales, Marriage Index: 1916-2005 ([Ancestry.co.uk]

Name: Robert G Stuart
Spouse Surname: Paulin
Date of Registration: Apr-May-Jun 1935
Inferred County: Northumberland
Page Number: 163

Name: Isabella N Paulim [note the surname is erroneously transcribed in the ACOM record]
Spouse Surname: Stuart
Date of Registration: Apr-May-Jun 1935
Page Number: 163

==========================================================

It helps to build out each generation of your direct ancestor. Your direct ancestors are your grandparents, your great grandparents, great great grand and so forth. You're going to find many clues in other family members records, not just your direct lines. It's also good research practice.

If you know about when and where Isabelle N (Paulin) Stuart and Robert G Stuart died, I'll have a look around in the indexes for the records. These are records you should order.

Once you have these two death record documents, and the marriage document, you can proceeds backwards. It will get easier to search, once you get into a time period (prior to 1911) when you can utilize the Census records, to follow and locate more ancestors.

Posted: 8 Aug 2011 6:48PM GMT
hi & thanks for even taking the time to reply to this.... ive written down what i know, then done a ridiculas attempt to start the family tree on here, ive done me, my mum, my nan, my great grandmother & her husband.... (i know youve already read what ive done but...) she was isabella nixon paulin born 10th feb 1912 (as far as we know) born sunderland, (died in the 80's in sleaford as she was in a home) she moved to birmingham & was married to robert gordon stuart, he died suddenly of a heart attack around the age of 50-55? they had 3 daughters, dorothy stuart born 19th nov 1935 think she was married twice? died in france in the 80's after a long battle with cancer, rosemary gillian stuart born 6th nov 1941 (this is my nan & very much alive :-)), youngest daughter is diane stuart born 3rd april 1944 & still lives in birmingham. great nan isabella was one of (we think) between 7-12 children? we know she had a sister rose? & a dorothy? but apparently near all of her brothers died in the war? isabella was also the youngest & was a huge suprise as she was supposed to be a cyst! :-/ she would never speak of her family, the most she said was she was a forster but was not allowed to use the surname?

all i can do is apologise about how ridiculas at this i am!
but thanks again for the advice! :-D
xx

Posted: 8 Aug 2011 6:57PM GMT
You have been given good advice here, Sandra, apart from one point. DO NOT click on links to order certificates via Ancestry. They charge £22.99 each for them! Buying direct from the GRO (www.GRO.gov.uk), costs £9.25. This direct service is also considerably quicker.

Posted: 8 Aug 2011 7:02PM GMT
oooo just in time! i was going to order one! thanks :-) x

Posted: 8 Aug 2011 8:40PM GMT
Edited: 11 Aug 2011 2:18AM GMT
Proving even the experienced can learn something new, good tip on saving some kit. Similar in the US, always go to the direct source.

All the records I see thus far are all in Newcastle Upon Tyne, Northumberland.

1944 birth Diane
1941 birth Rosemary
1935 birth Dorothy
1935 marriage Isabelle N Paulin & Robert G Stuart

Isabelle N Paulin was married in Newcastle Upon Tyne in 1935, that's what the record says. Therefore you can assume she was living in Newcastle Upon Tyne in 1935, and was there until at least 1944.

There's a marriage record for an Arthur J Paulin in Newcastle Upon Tyne in 1935. Perhaps one of her siblings, perhaps not, but worth checking out. His surname in the record is also incorrectly transcribed as Paulim.

England & Wales, Death Index: 1916-2005

Name: Isabella Nixon Stuart
Birth Date: 10 Feb 1912
Date of Registration: Oct 1988
Age at Death: 76
Registration district: Sleaford
Inferred County: Lincolnshire
Volume: 7
Page: 1976

===========================================================

Here's the birth record transcription and explains the Forster, that was her mother's maiden.

England & Wales, FreeBMD Birth Index, 1837-1915

Name: Isabella N Paulin
Mother's Maiden Name: Forster
Date of Registration: Apr-May-Jun 1915
Registration district: Sunderland
Inferred County: Durham, Tyne and Wear
Volume: 10a
Page: 1505

===========================================================
This looks like a sister of Isabelle:

England & Wales, FreeBMD Birth Index, 1837-1915

Name: Dorothy Forster Paulin
Date of Registration: Jan-Feb-Mar 1904
Inferred County: Durham, Tyne and Wear
Volume: 10a
Page: 722

============================================================

I'm 99% sure this is Isabelle's family in the 1901 England Census: see below (obviously before she was born).

I found a marriage record for David Paulin and Rosanna Forster in England & Wales, FreeBMD Marriage Index: 1837-1915

Name: Rosanna Forster
Date of Registration: Oct-Nov-Dec 1886
Page Number: 93

========== ++++

Name: David Paulin
Date of Registration: Oct-Nov-Dec 1886
Page Number: 93

1901 England Census

Name: David Paulin
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1862
Relation: Head
Spouse's Name: Roseanna Paulin
Where born: Newcastle, Northumberland, England
Civil parish: Sunderland
Ecclesiastical parish: St Paul
Town: Sunderland
County/Island: Durham
Sub-registration district: South Bishopwearmouth
ED, institution, or vessel: 8a
Household schedule number: 156
Piece: 4713
Folio: 49
Page Number: 24

Household Members:
Name Age
David Paulin 39
Roseanna Paulin 32
Charles N Paulin 13
John F Paulin 12
Jane A Paulin 10
Mary E Paulin 8
Joseph W Paulin 5
Roseanna Paulin 2

Posted: 7 Mar 2012 1:58PM GMT
Surnames: paulin
I am researching the Paulin family and my line goes back to 1801 with the forsters and nixons included.
skeltoncook@ntlworld.com
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions