Search for content in message boards

Boston Missing Irish - who is self?

Boston Missing Irish - who is self?

Posted: 9 Nov 2012 3:47PM GMT
Classification: Query
Most people seem to be keying all of the peolpe who are being sought as "Self". There is a question on Wiki about adverts for multiple people that has not been answered yet.
I have reviewed several examples where doing this will lead to misinformation.
Example: Information is being sought of John Flynn and his daughters Mary and Catherine..... Please write to his daughter Ellen ...
This was keyed as
John Flynn - Self
Mary Flynn - Self
Catherine Flynn - Self
Ellen Flynn - Daughter
implying that Ellen was Catherine's daughter, not her sister and losing all the other family connections.
If it was keyed as
John Flynn - Self
Mary Flynn - Daughter
Catherine Flynn - Daughter
Ellen Flynn - Daughter
all would be clear.
In the absence of any clear instructions, I believe this to be the best option.

Re: Boston Missing Irish - who is self?

Posted: 9 Nov 2012 5:53PM GMT
The way I understand the instructions, all the people who are listed in capital letters are "Self" and the ones listed in mixed case are keyed as their relatives. If John, Mary and Catherine are all in caps in your example I would key John - self, Ellen - daughter, Mary - self, Catherine - self, so that Ellen has the right parent.

Sometimes there will be the name of the spouse or other relative of other people shown in caps after the
first one, and if we only keyed the first person in caps as self and the rest of them by their relationship to the "self", we would have to miss some of those relatives out.

But I would love it if WAP could give us a definitive ruling!

Posted: 9 Nov 2012 6:10PM GMT
The way the instructions are worded is open to more than one interpretation. Your suggested solution gives Ellen the right parent, but still loses the information that Mary and Catherine are John's daughters even though the ad clearly says so.
I am not suggesting that only the first person listed in an ad is "self"; it depends on the wording of the ad. Surely by careful reading of these ads we can work out family groups?

Posted: 10 Nov 2012 11:45PM GMT
Edited: 11 Nov 2012 2:59PM GMT
I found postings I am keying showing what you are talking about and how I have been keying.

The first image shows all "self" as those being searched for.

The second set shows the first person being searched for as being "self" with the rest in the posting showing relationship to the first missing person listed.

Gulp...your input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Lynne
Attachments:

Posted: 11 Nov 2012 7:14PM GMT
I've been keying as described by katerimmer. The instructions are ambiguous, and I'd also appreciate clarification from WAP.

Posted: 11 Nov 2012 10:07PM GMT
I have keyed as anyone that is missing is a "self".

Posted: 14 Nov 2012 10:21PM GMT
i key all missing people as self, and all other mentoned persons with there relation mentioned, if it says its the daughter of some one so we should key them as daughter.
onece i had somthing like : missing ellen mcXXXXX wife of thomas xxx, and another person was missing. the husband were just normal letters, so not missing so i keayed them as husband directly under there wifes.
it is in the thing it self that every body who is a mother off someone, also is the daughter of some one and maybe also a sister. i think key as daughter is more important then sister, because its a directer line.

and don't forget what will happen later to those things. later this things will besearchable her like many things before, and when you found a name of your anecstors and finding it in this textes you will mostly red the text and then you can find out yourself that some have also some ssters or brother or even uncels and aunts etc.

i think important is that its keyed.

Posted: 15 Nov 2012 12:08AM GMT
Edited: 15 Nov 2012 12:10AM GMT
Depends upon exact phrasing to me; and even then, I have questions at times. As you know, every ad is written by the person who is looking for someone and they all have their ways of phrasing and capitalization.

"OF MARY BRENNAN, wife of John Brennan. They left London, England in 1868 and sailed to America. When last heard of, Mary was living in New York City. Address to her sister, Bridget Maguire, in care of John Hynes, 1018 North Tenth St., New York."

You can pick hairs here but this is what I would interpret:

Line 1
"Mary" as given
"Brennan" as surname
Skipping maiden because we don't know that for sure
"Self" as relations
"London, England" as departure place
"1868" as departure year
"America" as arrival place
"New York City" as last known location

Line 2
same as line one changing the given to "John"
"Husband" as relations
same as line one for departure place and year
rest is blank because John's name is not mentioned as living in New York.

Line 3
"Bridget" as given
"Maguire" as surname
"Sister" as relations
rest is left blank

Now if you change to:

"OF MARY BRENNAN, wife of JOHN BRENNAN. They left London, England in 1868 and sailed to America. When last heard of, Mary was living in New York City. Address to her sister, Bridget Maguire, in care of John Hynes, 1018 North Tenth St., St. Louis, Mo."

In both ads, John might not be missing at all because he is not mentioned as living in New York with Mary. John could be very well be interpreted as missing in the second ad because his name is capitalized. From what I am reading on this post and others, the relations part of John's line is up for debate. One person might key Mary as line 1 the same, key Bridget as line 2 since she is Mary's sister and you would have to put her under Mary to show that, and key John as line 3 and "Self" as relations thereby dropping the fact that he is Mary's husband because his name is capitalized and interpreted as missing.

Posted: 15 Nov 2012 3:46PM GMT
I had read many postings and the project discussion page on this, then I wrote support for clarification. This is what they wrote back -

"Thank you for contacting Ancestry.com regarding who Self is on the Boston, Missing Immigrants project.

On the Boston, Missing Immigrants project, the Self is the missing immigrant that is listed. Everyone in each of these should be showing their relationship to the missing immigrant. On the image that you sent of John, William and Peter Buckely, the three of them will be Self as the record is about all three of them and then Cornelius will be Father and Ellen will be Mother and Mary and Honora are the sisters.

On this project, anyone that the record is for, so those that it says Of... you will want to key those in as Self and the rest, simply key in with their relationship to the person or people the record is for."

It makes this part of the project more clear for me and hope it helps others.

Posted: 15 Nov 2012 4:46PM GMT
That's helpful, thanks.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic