Search for content in message boards

Mary Cleary

Mary Cleary

Posted: 13 Sep 2010 5:00AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Cleary/Hewitt
Hello, I am searching for information on Mary Cleary, born 1859 in Tipperary Ireland. She lived in Nenagh. I don't have her parents names but she married very young in 1874 or so .Her husband was Patrick Hewitt(farm laborer).She had ten children that were raised in Foilnamuck , Dolla, Tipperary. They all immigrated to the USA and most settled around Syracuse ,Onadaga County, New York,between the 1890's and early 1900's. She stayed in Ireland . I do not know where her grave sight is, but think she died around 1935 - 40. I have the names of her children and their spouses. Her children were met dockside by "Uncle John Cleary " of Philadelphia,Pa. Thank you!

Re: Mary Cleary

Posted: 16 Sep 2010 2:08PM GMT
I found a possible index cross match for the marriage of Mary and Patrick - with a phonetic spelling for his surname (could possibly indicate he was illiterate) :

Name: Patrick Huit
Registration District: Nenagh
Event Type: Mariage
Quarter and Year: 1874
Volume : 8 / Page : 423

Name: Mary Cleary
[same index details]

You can use the references to order a research cert by post from the GRO - see : www.groireland.ie A cert will show further information such as name of church, exact date of marriage, occupation, residences of bride and groom, father's names.. etc..

Shane

Posted: 16 Sep 2010 7:36PM GMT
Surnames: Cleary / Hewitt
Shane,
So glad to read your post! Patrick was illiterate while Mary supposedly attended Trinity College prior to their marriage. Very grateful for the info!

Jeanne

Posted: 6 Jan 2013 2:44AM GMT
I'm looking for information on Cecilia Cleary daughter of John Cleary and Johanna Morrisey Cleary born about 1860. Emigrated to US in 1880 married in Boston in 1884 to Jeremiah McKeogh....any relation?

Posted: 6 Jan 2013 2:44AM GMT
I'm looking for information on Cecilia Cleary daughter of John Cleary and Johanna Morrisey Cleary born about 1860. Emigrated to US in 1880 married in Boston in 1884 to Jeremiah McKeogh....any relation?

Posted: 6 Jan 2013 5:58AM GMT
Surnames: Clearys from Nenagh
Hello,
Sorry to say that I don't know yet. You didn't say where your Cecilia came from…my g.g.grandfather lived near Nenagh(Silvermines), Tipperary. His name was Edward Cleary born in 1812. His daughter Mary Cleary was born in 1858. She married Patrick Hewitt/Huit in 1874 and their children also immigrated to the U.S. in the 1890's on . The eldest boys sailed to Philadelphia, Pa. initially and gave the address of "Uncle John Cleary" on the passenger list.

Posted: 6 Jan 2013 5:59AM GMT
Surnames: Clearys from Nenagh
Hello,
Sorry to say that I don't know yet. You didn't say where your Cecilia came from…my g.g.grandfather lived near Nenagh(Silvermines), Tipperary. His name was Edward Cleary born in 1812. His daughter Mary Cleary was born in 1858. She married Patrick Hewitt/Huit in 1874 and their children also immigrated to the U.S. in the 1890's on . The eldest boys sailed to Philadelphia, Pa. initially and gave the address of "Uncle John Cleary" on the passenger list.

Posted: 6 Jan 2013 9:37AM GMT
Thanks so much for answering. I have precious little information. have been told that Cecilia was from Nenagh, and from marriage record assume she was born about 1862.

Posted: 6 Jan 2013 7:06PM GMT
I too was told that my relatives were from Nenagh but they are actually outside of Nenagh(I'm told about 5 minutes away) in Dolla. The parish of Dolla had 6 Cleary families according to Griffith's Valuation in 1851. There were 8 Cleary families in Finnoe. Kilcomenty 2 families. Kilvellane had 1 family.St. Patricksrock had 1 family. Templetouhy had 3 families .This info came from IrishTimes.com. Make use of Familysearch(LDS) and Rootsireland.ie .Also Ellis Island records.
The 1900 US Census puts them in ward 6,married in30 Sept. 1884,She is 37 and he is 43. There are7 children from 14 to 1 year old. He is a fish curer.The 1910 census adds a "u" to their name ; McKeough. There is info in the Mass. Town and Vital Records (BMD) too. The more info gathered, the more likely you might be able to trace back. Good Luck !

Posted: 6 Jan 2013 7:31PM GMT
thank you again. I do have the census info....just trying to learn more about Cecelia. I have her parents as John Cleary and Johanna Morrisey and then a dead end.......I'll follow through on all the info you have generously shared.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions