Search for content in message boards

Spanish Land Grants in Opelousas

Spanish Land Grants in Opelousas

April (View posts)
Posted: 17 Sep 2006 1:48AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Ritter, Rider, Ryder
I am looking for information on Spanish Land Grants issued (in what is now st landry parish) in the 1700s. I have seen several maps at the Bluebonnet Library in Baton Rouge by Gertrude Taylor and A. Brasseaux for the Attakapas Historical Society to name one. I would like to find out where the information was obtained to create that map. I have ancestors that received these types of land grants and would to know more about the process they went through to get them, and what other information. I think this information may help with a mystery we have been trying to solve. I have also looked in the American State Papers for Land Claims in Louisiana. A little info is in there, but not enough to be helpful. Any information to steer me in a more definite direction would be greatly appreciated. I have tried to email Mr. Brasseaux, who I believe to be a professor or director at LSU, a few months ago, but have not gotten a response. He may not have even received my message.

Re: Spanish Land Grants in Opelousas

Judy Riffel (View posts)
Posted: 28 Sep 2006 8:57PM GMT
Carl Brasseaux is at ULL (not LSU). See their website here http://cls.louisiana.edu/

April (View posts)
Posted: 29 Sep 2006 11:34AM GMT
oh, my bad. Thank you for information.

Janelle (View posts)
Posted: 9 Oct 2006 2:17PM GMT
I am also looking into the Spanish land grants, particularly for the Opelousus/St.Landry Parish. I've tried emailing Prof. Brasseaux as well. But he has not responded. If you have any luck, please share any information he may pass on. I tried the National Archives in DC but I did not find much. An alternate plan is to travel down south and look into the records at the local court houses.

April (View posts)
Posted: 9 Oct 2006 2:50PM GMT
Hi Janelle!
I had one source tell me that most of information(old documents) for the "spanish" grants were sent to Florida. (not found anything to substantiate that)
There is a series of books called something like "american papers" that had some information on who applied for such and for how much land. (information is mimimal but I think it adds a piece to the puzzle). I would have to look at my notes at home to be sure of the name. I will do that and let you know what information I have. I understand they had to like re-submit their claim with each new goverment (they petitioned the spainish originally and then the french, and then the United States in the end.) There was a woman who helped with the maps also. I think she is part of the Attakapas Historical Society, but like I said, I would have to refer to my notes to be totally sure. I think her first name was Gertrude.
what name are you researching?
Thank you for responding to my posting.

Joyce (View posts)
Posted: 10 Oct 2006 4:38PM GMT
Try inquiring at the Center for Louisiana Studies at the University of Louisiana in Lafayette, La.
I don't know if this would be useful to you but iIf you are also needing information about the Attakapas region, which adjoined the Opelousas District, I have two books published by the late Mr. Glenn Conrad, who was the brother of Gertrude (Taylor i think).

One is "Land Records of the Attakapas District", Volume I - The Attakapas Domesday Book." Many township maps and descriptions of property and claimants' names, etc.
Ane the other is Volume II Part I Conveyance Records of the Attakapas County.

I was told by him that he would be working on a volume for the Opelousas District, but I don't lthink it ever was completed.
Joyce

April (View posts)
Posted: 10 Oct 2006 5:52PM GMT
Wow! Thanks Joyce. That is just what I will do.
thank you very much for the information.
April
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions