Search for content in message boards

Family Tree Maker 2012 Sync problems

Family Tree Maker 2012 Sync problems

Posted: 31 Dec 2011 4:40PM GMT
Classification: Query
Hi There and a Happy New Year to you All xxx

I wonder if anyone else uses this programme and has had sync troubles?
I had FTM2012 bought me as a christmas gift and installed it on boxing day. I had a brilliant day playing with it, researching and syncing. 2 days later i entered a wife to someone but did this on Ancestry.. when i tried syncing to my FTM i had a message pop up asking if i wanted to do what i had just done, i clicked yes... SYNC then i got the following message...
"An error occured while synchronizing this tree. You can try again later, but if this message recurs, you may need to unlink your trees and upload a new tree from Family Tree Maker"
I've tried lots of times since but this message keeps popping up.. i did try uploading my tree again but got a message saying it was too big.. i darnt unlink my original tree as it says i cannot re link.... HEEELLPPPPP!!!
Also when i first turn my pc on and go to ancestry to my tree it says its updating... i left it for 2 hours to update but it still is doing it so i asked it to stop... is it normal for it to take so long to update???
2 problems here i think and its annoying as i was really enjoying myself researching with this programme... I do have 23 years worth of research so really do noy fancy losing it all
thank you for your time xx

Re: Family Tree Maker 2012 Sync problems

Posted: 31 Dec 2011 4:55PM GMT
I'm having this problem, too. I was able to initially download my tree, but I kept getting the "An error occured while synchronizing this tree. You can try again later, but if this message recurs, you may need to unlink your trees and upload a new tree from Family Tree Maker" message. It finally downloaded, but only after unchecking the "Update Automatically" box. I changed a lot of people online, it downloaded the changes, but it won't upload the tree to ancestry.

Is anyone else having this problem?

Posted: 1 Jan 2012 4:42AM GMT
I have read that some people get it to work by compacting their tree before synching. It hasn't worked for me.

Posted: 1 Jan 2012 11:33AM GMT
I've compacted my tree.... set the sync for manual and even deleted the man off ancestry who may be causing me problems as its his name that pops up first asking if i want to change his details as they are different to what i have on my FTM still no sync :( i've even emailed Ancestry but think they may be still on their christmas /new year break so will have to sit tight and await help xx

Posted: 1 Jan 2012 2:40PM GMT
I wonder if ancestry.com reads these posts. I had the same problem and called tech support. The technician had me compact the database. Then he had me to unlink my tree. Then he had me go to "new tree" in plan option, then check download from ancestry & choose the applicable tree. The system reported downloading the same tree but with a -1 appended to the original name. Everything looked OK but later in the day when I clicked on a procedure the program crashed and/or closed. When I re-opened the Family Tree Maker, the tree was gone. I repeated the procedure but still got the messare, "an error occurred..."

Posted: 1 Jan 2012 7:24PM GMT
I am having the same issue....I have spent a couple of hours trying to resolve. No luck. I am very disappointed with this feature at this point. It causes more issue than it is worth. I hope they fix this soon. I am afraid to try some of the solutions mentioned for fear of losing all of my tree info nd having to restore from back up. Any other suggestions at this point?

Posted: 1 Jan 2012 8:57PM GMT
about 7 hours ago i logged into Ancestry but have not been able to look at my tree as i have this message "Family Tree Maker is Updating This Tree
The tree "December 2011 full family" is unavailable while it is being updated by Family Tree Maker. Other trees may be available while this is happening. Cancel Update" for the last 2 days i've had it but cancelled as i wanted to look at my tree... but today i've been patient.. its still going strong and its almost bedtime so laptop will be turned off and i'll be back to square one tomorrow... blooming thing... i've had to open a different window to type on here today too

Posted: 2 Jan 2012 5:43AM GMT
yorkiepudding,

Please provide more details about "and even deleted the man off ancestry who may be causing me problems as its his name that pops up first asking if i want to change his details as they are different to what i have on my FTM still no sync"

Not sure that you mean. Is there a person in your file that is causing an issue? If so, what, exactly, is it. What are you seeing.

Turning your Laptop OFF while the TreeSync™ feature is running, is not a good thing.

When you turn your PC back on, please Compact your file, then do a SyncNow.

What happens?

Russ

Posted: 2 Jan 2012 9:19AM GMT
Edited: 2 Jan 2012 9:20AM GMT
Russ

i've just turned my laptop on ... i stopped the update last night as 7 hours seems a long time...

The man i deleted off ancestry and why i did this = It seems after finding a document and his place of birth the other day and adding it to ancestry, there was a discrepancy as to his place of birth ..
all the same county but a mis spell of the actual place..I had a message letting me know of the descrepency when i tried to sunc through ftm.. i corrected it manually.. its since then i cannot sync but when i turn on my computer and come over to Ancestry i get the " Family Tree Maker is Updating This Tree
The tree "December 2011 full family" is unavailable while it is being updated by Family Tree Maker. Other trees may be available while this is happening. Cancel Update" message...

I dont turn off my pc while its syncing as it wont sync! Each day i click the "please compact your file and try to sync but i cannot sync... i just get the message "An error occured while synchronizinf this tree. You can try again later, but if this message recurs, you may need to unlink your trees and upload a new tree from Family Tree Maker"

As i said i have just turned on my computer and went straight away to ancestry where its once again updating!! i can only come to these messages by opening another window..

Think i'm losing the will to live.. this programme sounded great but its driving me bonkers :(

Posted: 2 Jan 2012 12:11PM GMT
yourkspudding,

Where are you seeing this message, that you included in your post:

".I had a message letting me know of the descrepency when i tried to sunc through ftm"

Where you working in your AMT or in FTM2012 when you changed the Place Name?

Where are you seeing "Family Tree Maker is Updating This Tree The tree "December 2011 full family", in your AMT or within FTM2012?

Where are you seeing "please compact your file and try to sync"?

You are seeing messages, but you are not saying where you hem seeing them.

Russ
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions