Search for content in message boards

Brooks of N.C., Georgia, and Alabama

Brooks of N.C., Georgia, and Alabama

Posted: 2 Feb 2009 12:04AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Brooks
Looking for descendants of Abraham Brooks: specifically, descendants of his sons Archibald, Jesse, Francis Marion, and Brittain (William Riley, too!) Sons were born in Georgia 1815-1830 or so. Archibald was in Talledega County, Alabama by 1860 census. Brittain died in 1860 and his two children, son and daughter, lived with Jesse. Any info would be appreciated.

Re: Brooks of N.C., Georgia, and Alabama

Posted: 12 Feb 2009 11:19PM GMT
I was wondering if you have names of parents of Abraham Brooks, or if you know names of any of Abraham's siblings... I am trying to locate anyone who might possibly be connected to Middleton Brooks ( b ca 1759 VA; came to GA in late 1780s & d 1851 Jackson Co GA). I do not know Middleton's parents, just know that he had one sibling ( male or female? don't know!) I have a rather good record from Middleton on down, but desire to find out about his parents etc....

Posted: 12 Feb 2009 11:49PM GMT
I'm sorry, but I do not know Abraham's siblings or parents - have narrowed it down to Jesse Brooks of Anson County, North Carolina or Ephraim Brooks of Pitt/Anson County as his father - POSSIBILITIES only. Have you tried joining the Brooks family DNA site? It is not my line - but it seems like several have mentioned Middleton when discussing Micajah. My father's line does not match their line (DNA).

The Brooks Family DNA group has been doing some wonderful things - alot of people have found matches and ancestors 3 or 4 generations back from where their own research took them.

I'm sorry I can't help you with Middleton, but if you find that you have connections in the Coweta, Meriwether, Jones counties of Georgia - let's compare!

Posted: 13 Feb 2009 7:28AM GMT
Thank you for taking time to respond! I have yet to become a part of the DNA site, but I'm interested. I will certainly keep you in mind if I run across anyone in the locations you mentioned that I think might be of help to you... Middleton Brooks has been my "brick wall" for quite some time, and I'm beginning to wonder if I'll ever find anything more about him or his parents....
Happy hunting!!

Posted: 17 Feb 2009 1:26PM GMT
Surnames: African American Family Brooks
Hello,Its possible we are from the same family ,Couple people, have told me we are the largest and the oldest african american family in this country. my ancestor was Champ Brooks,he was born 1835-he had sisters and brothers one sister was named Rose. Brooks from North Carolina-I might have met your family members that live in Asbury Park,NJ and Neptune, NJ. One of the Brooks from N.C. owned
an Barbar Shop in Asbury Park,NJ. I was partly raised in that area, I now work for the Monmouth County Superior Court in Freehold, NJ.

Posted: 17 Feb 2009 2:55PM GMT
Hi! Thank you for responding. I have discovered in the genealogy journey anything is possible. However, I do not know of any of my Brooks going north and I do not recognize those names. My g grandfather was Cherokee from Georgia and my g grandmother was Seminole from Georgia. My gg grandfather was from Georgia. Beyond that I am not sure.

Posted: 17 Feb 2009 3:11PM GMT
Hi, My great great grand mother, was named Lottie Brooks,born 1845-she was Indian,some of the Brooks was from
Georgia and alot of them are in Alabama, we are one of the largest and oldest african american family in this country-Lottie husband was named Champ Brooks he was born 1835- he had sisters and brothers,one sister was named Rose. There are some Brooks that reside here in Asbury Park, NJ and Neptune, NJ. One of the Brooks had an Barber Shop in Asbury Park,NJ. I partially grew up in the Asbury Park,Neptune area,I work at the Monmouth County Superior Court House, In Freehold NJ. There was an Elder James Brooks- that did a research on the Brooks family Tree.but we lost contact with him , If still living he would be in early 80's. He had retired an moved to Opelika Alabama.

Posted: 30 May 2009 10:18PM GMT
ndmother and moved to Buchanan Georgia and died ther in 1952 or 53. He had a brother named Sam and a sister called Mattie.an this be some of the people you are asking about>

Lavina

Posted: 30 May 2009 10:22PM GMT
my grandfather Javos Josh came to salisbury, nc and moved to the Taladega area met my grandmother and moved to Buchanan ga. can this be the group you are looking for? He had a brother named Sam and a sister named Mattie.

Posted: 30 May 2009 10:29PM GMT
Surnames: BROOKS
Sorry, but I don't believe these names are a match.
Thank you very much for taking time to respond.
Betty Brooks Vardeman
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions