Search for content in message boards

WWII Photos to share with families

WWII Photos to share with families

Posted: 8 Mar 2011 7:43AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Werthwein
Hello -

My grandfather, Christian Werthwein, served in the Army in WWII - 77th Division, 305th Infantry. He was an accountant and a very detailed person, even for a young guy, and took his own camera with him through his training and various deployments during WWII - and then wrote the last name, and even sometimes the town, of his fellow soldiers on the photos.

I've recently begun scanning them and think these photos should be seen by the families of these boys. They are very candid moments before they shipped out to Leyte in the Philippines - many of these boys may not have made it home. And, he has lots of them - I'd say well over one hundred.

I know WWII photos are in abundance - and I've talked to the archives about them. But, I'm really focused here on how to share them with possible descendants of the men serving in WWII. I know how much I treasure them as his granddaughter.

I did find one family after searching for the name and location on ACOM. I sent a message and it took about a one month exchange before figuring out that it was the right family. It brought them great joy (though it was now the surviving sister b/c the actual photographed Army boy had passed away.)

What's the best way to approach this? Is there a better way to help to connect these photos with their families? I've attached one example below -

Thanks -
Attachments:

Re: WWII Photos to share with families

Posted: 27 Mar 2011 9:30PM GMT
What a wonderful act of Ancestry kindness. It is was nice to see that you did this! I wish more people would.

Thank you
Beth

Posted: 28 Mar 2011 11:57AM GMT
Hi Beth -

Thanks for the nice message. I didn't really hear from anyone but I figured I would start to go ahead and post the photos. If I type the surnames in, they'll come up in a search I hope.

I did this with another photo before and found relatives on one of Pops' squadmates. He had passed away in 1965 so it was very meaningful to them.

So, thanks for the post - it helps confirm that this will be the right thing to do.

All the best,
Alexa

Posted: 12 Sep 2011 2:52AM GMT
There is another website where you can post those pictures ... www.ancientfaces.com .
You won't have to worry about the surnames....I would post them in the military category.

good luck & can't wait to see some of them!

Bonnie

Posted: 21 Sep 2011 2:12PM GMT
I also have many WWII photos from my father. I appreciate the info on addtl website to post....will follow up on Ancestry, etc once I get the pics organized!

Posted: 13 Apr 2013 11:27PM GMT
Hi Beth, Another site you can post them on is deadfred.com. I collect old photos and post on there all the time. (Recently 2 of my photos went home to their family.) You might have some luck there. The people who run the site are very nice and are prompt at returning emails if you write with questions or problems. All the best - Lisa
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions