Search for content in message boards

BACKUS / POAG

BACKUS / POAG

G. Gerow (View posts)
Posted: 24 Dec 2000 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Gerow, McDonell, Phillips, Secord
Looking for information on the family "BACKUS" OF Kent County.
Around 1858 Jane Shaw, dau. of James A. Shaw & Isabella
Campbell, married ??? Backus, they had two daughters Orilla and Susan.
Orilla Backus married James Poag
Susan Backus married William Poag

After ?? Backus, passed away Jane Shaw married Marshall Ney Phillips around 1876.

All info. gratefully accepted.

Backus / Tait

G. Gerow (View posts)
Posted: 8 Jan 2001 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: McDonell, Gerow, Phillips, Shaw, Secord
Thank you for your kind response.
My GrGrandmother Jane Shaw's first husband's name was Backus, but I don't have his first name...
The person who wrote the diary would it happen to be his spouse?
Any info. greatly appreciated.
G. Gerow
Posted: 8 Jan 2001 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 10 Apr 2006 10:47PM GMT
Surnames: Backus, Tait
From diary written in 1892, lot #72, Orford Twp, Palmyra, Kent County

Mar 7, Mon - ... William Backus died at 10 o'clock this morning. Andrew Tait died at twelve o'clock at night.

Mar 9, Wed - I went to William Backus funeral in the forenoon. In the afternoon, I went to the lake and got some sand to patch bedroom with. William was at the woods cutting wood. Weather mild. Commenced to snow a little about nine o'clock.
Posted: 10 Jan 2001 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 10 Apr 2006 10:47PM GMT
Surnames: Backus, Street
The diary was written by Jospeh and and Mary Street.

rep: Backus/Baccus

Posted: 14 Jan 2001 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 7 Nov 2005 7:02PM GMT
Surnames: Backus, Reive
Yes, I have a Mary Backus/Baccus married to my GGgrandfather Jackson Reive. They were married in kent co, but both died in Essex co. This was third marrigae and second for Mary.

Have a cesus for a Backus/Baccus in Tilbury twp in 1851.
Father of the family was Frederick.

Also have some names of children born around 1871-1899, which I have just taken from micorfilm reels.

Kelly

Backus

ANON-Y-MOUSE (View posts)
Posted: 27 Jan 2001 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: Backus, Backhouse
John Backhouse was the earliest settler in Ontario with the
name of Backhouse/Backus. He farmed in Grantham Twp. at the corner of St. Paul St. West and Yates Street, where
CKTB610 Radio Station is located now. The Land belonged to
Robert Hamilton and it is believed that John Backhouse was
renting it to raise Black & White Cows. (Source: Junius - St. Catharines A to Z. ) Around 1794-5 he
went to Turkey Point near Simcoe, Ontario and farmed there. This location is now the Backus Heritage Conservation area and the Pioneer Buildings still stand as well as the Backus Cemetery where he and his descendants are buried. We went there in the Fall and it was just beautiful. The Backus Heritage Conservation Area is on the Internet.

Re: BACKUS / POAG

Sharon (View posts)
Posted: 18 Jul 2002 3:59PM GMT
Surnames: POAG / BARNIER
Hi: I don't have any answers for you, but I have some questions, if you don't mind helping. I am researching The Poag line for may cousin. His grandmother was (Sally) Sarah Orillia Poag - b. Apr.9, 1915 - d. Oct. 10, 1999. She married Howard Claude Barnier from Tilbury East. They lived in St. Thomas for the second half of their marriage. They had 6 +(1 died) children. Sally was raised in a tiny village near the Thames..worked in Chatham when she met Howard. Wondering if Sally in related to your Poag ancestors. She had siblings as well. Hope you'll contact me. Sharon

Re: Backus

Posted: 5 Jan 2003 8:27PM GMT
John Backhouse went to Long Point on Lake Erie s.w. of Simcoe where the only family-owned (now govt. owned) still-operating mill in North America still stands--and runs. It IS a beautiful locality. I suggest you contact Mr. George Backus at PO Box 280, Port Rowan, Ontario N0E 1M0, Canada. He is a wealth of stories and data, a real living resource, plus he knows all the grounds Backhouse farmed and milled there and will be a humorous ambassador to show you around. He has documents, letters, and you name it plus maps and knows the countryside intimately.

The original Old John came to America and his father in NYC was friends with John Jacob Astor, so much so that Astor named his 2nd son William Backhouse Astor. Since Astor's 1st son was not mentally fit, William became the inheritor of Manhattan Island and was then the richest man in the US. Old John and sons squatted their lands on Lake Erie before Canada was surveyed and he talked his way into gaining prime timber land when Simcoe completed surveys, providing giant white pines from the forest for masts of Her Majesty's Navy ships. He was a key legislator for the area. And no one can figure out how his mill did not get burned with the rest of them when the Yanks pillaged Ontario to starve them into submission (after which they burned the White House).

Did you know also that these Backhouse's were Quaker descendants, persecuted in England, and Old John still insisted on speaking with "thee" and "thou" in his language?

George Backus has a wealth of such stories and data.

Re: rep: Backus/Baccus

Jason Combs (View posts)
Posted: 5 Jul 2005 9:22PM GMT
Surnames: Reive, Chadwick, Merritt, Whittle, Brigham
I believe that my wife might be a descendant of your Jackson Reive.

My wife is the great-great granddaughter of a Jackson and Mary Reive. According to the accounts that my wife's grandmother handed down to us, Jackson and Mary had several children, including Bertha, Louella, Elmer, and Edgerton Elijah Reive (b. Aug 19, 1876 in Mersea Township, Essex County, Ontario; d. Sep 15, 1955 in Leamington, Ontario). My wife's grandmother's notes did not including any further information about Jackson and Mary, although they appear to have settled in Essex County, Ontario.

Is this Jackson and Mary the same as yours?

Re: rep: Backus/Baccus

Posted: 25 Jan 2007 7:57PM GMT
Jackson Reive was from raised in Essex Co.
He had three wifes
Harriett Fox m 1852 gosfield twp
Eumphmina wigle m 1855 Detroit
Mary Baccus(this was her second marrige)m 1866 Kent co.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions