Search for content in message boards

Thomas Bailey/Jane Clemo

Thomas Bailey/Jane Clemo

Sharon Pollard (View posts)
Posted: 5 Jun 2006 10:05PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Bailey
I am looking for family that came from Cornwall England in the year 1848, settled in Dodgeville, Wisconsin. My GG's name was Thomas Bailey, he was son of Thomas and Jane Bailey. They were miners. My GG--- Thomas enlisted in the Civil War in 1860 or 1861 from Wisconsin 12th regiment. His parents died in Dodgeville in 1848---2 years after arriving in USA. He ( Thomas) lived with a farm family named Haskins or Herskins after mother and father died. He had 2 younger brothers namedDavid and Nicholas. He came west to Colorado after the war, died in Denver. Please help!!!

Re: Thomas Bailey/Jane Clemo

Posted: 5 Jun 2006 11:51PM GMT
Hi,

I'm no relation and I am really uncertain what information you are looking for regarding your GG Thomas. I can tell you when he enlisted, the date and place of his marriage to Jane Elan, and the fact there may be a civil war pension record. Also located a Nicholas Bailey in Iowa Co. in 1880. Can you be more specific as to what you are looking for -- maybe I can help.

Mike

Posted: 6 Jun 2006 10:10PM GMT
Surnames: Bailey/Clemo
Hi Mike
I am trying to find out how my great-great grandparents died after arriving in Wisconsin. There names were Thomas and Sarah Bailey, Sarah's maiden name was Clemo or Clymo. They came over in 1848, settled in Dodgeville or Mineral Point area. One of their sons, Thomas, is the one that enlisted--- I have his pension papers and copies of his military records and I have marriage and birth certs from Cornwall. And where would they be buried? I thank you for info.on Nicholas. Sharon

B K Schwierske (View posts)
Posted: 6 Jun 2006 10:42PM GMT
I know of a Velma Stebnitz who was a Clemo and her kin are buried at a cemetery along Co. Hwy C. in Iowa Co. near the American Players theatre/ near Spring Green

Posted: 7 Jun 2006 12:45AM GMT
I checked the online vital records at this site but found no connection http://www.wisconsinhistory.org/vitalrecords/

You may wish to contact the Iowa County Historical Society at this email address ichistory@mhtc.net maybe they can help with your cemetery search.

Sorry I can't be of further help.

Mike

Posted: 7 Jun 2006 9:31PM GMT
Hello Velma
Thank you for responding to my message.My great-great grandparents came to Wisconsin from Cornwall in 1848, they were miners. I am trying to find how and when Thomas and Sarah Bailey died after 2 years of arriving in Wisconsin. They had 3 sons survived and orphaned. My great-grandfather, Thomas, was one of their sons. And where could they be buried? I live in Texas and am trying to search online. Any help would be greatly appreciated. There has to be a cemetary somewhere near Dodgeville that have miners buried.As they had very little money. Thank you. Sharon Pollard

Posted: 15 Feb 2013 4:09AM GMT
Hi Sharon,

I'm not sure if this will find you almost 7 years later but I am a descendent of Thomas' brother Nicholas (he's my 3rd great grandfather). I have Nicholas' obituary which states that their parents both died of cholera in 1850. And I just discovered you can view it online here: http://wiclarkcountyhistory.org/0data/9/9939.htm

Do you have more information on what happened to Thomas after they died? And how he came to end up in Colorado? As you can see from the obituary, Nicholas went to live with a Nicholas Thomas, and after a stint in CA/OR returned to the Dodgeville area and settled down.

Megan Woods
per page

Find a board about a specific topic